Pooka

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Pooka

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am So, he's admitted to something if he's getting diversion?
Charges will be dismissed if he completes the program.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah that's probably pretty accurate suspension. 1/4 of the season suspension, which kind of matches up with what the NFL does with their 4-game suspensions.

Nothing on record, last court date in middle of February. Frees him up for Spring ball and summer workouts.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am So, he's admitted to something if he's getting diversion?
I get that, but he's admitted to something. Charges or not.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 am
Well, not legally, as there is no plea.

As far as what the D.A. thinks, sure. And, if you believe the media reports, Pooka had already admitted to hitting her. A suspension will definitely happen. But, no conviction or guilty plea gives the program a little PR wiggle room.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:07 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 am

Well, not legally, as there is no plea.

As far as what the D.A. thinks, sure. And, if you believe the media reports, Pooka had already admitted to hitting her. A suspension will definitely happen. But, no conviction or guilty plea gives the program a little PR wiggle room.
Correct. He admitted to doing what he did. But if the D.A. accepts a diversion agreement and their is technically no record of the incident happening by legal definition, then KU doesn't necessarily have to do anything if they don't want to. I think Les is a good guy with high character and will give Pooka another chance, but if he has one more incident, he is likely gone.

So I think we all know he did it, but there is also legal proceedings for a reason. How many DUI's get diversions, and nobody knows about it? If there were none, there would be quite a few people who wouldn't have good jobs because of them having a DUI on record.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well even with a conviction, KU doesn't have to do anything, but we're not running this shit like the 90's Al Davis Raiders.

The D.A. knows he hit her, we know he hit her, he knows he hit her, but he's not standing up and saying, Yes, I'm guilty of these charges. KU gets to operate w/ that.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I guess it comes down to:
Is this a kid who made a mistake and deserves a second chance?
Has he done this before and it's gone unreported?
Do we want someone who has hit a woman playing for KU?
Do we want KU to turn their back on someone who may need a second chance to better them self?
Is he getting a deal because of who he is?

I don't know the answers. Hopefully, someone has asked the questions.

I don't want to go all "illy" and argue. But I'm not liking this situation at all. It seems the prevailing attitude is that we want this guy to play no matter what.
Defense. Rebounds.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

No clue what the severity of his interaction was, and not going to pretend to by what we know though media and vague reports.

A “hit” can be classified so many ways. From inadvertent contact holding someone back, to what I traditionally define “closed fist, cocked back, punch”.

My understanding of the situation would be Jeff Long wants to run all programs the “right” way. So I’ll leave it up to him to make sure we toe that line.
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 am I guess it comes down to:
Do we want KU to turn their back on someone who may need a second chance to better them self?

I don't want to go all "illy" and argue. But I'm not liking this situation at all. It seems the prevailing attitude is that we want this guy to play no matter what.
If that's the impression you got from my posts, then I didn't phrase correctly. I always err on the side of parting ways with a player in a situation like this. They all get second chances and I'd rather my favorite team not be the one to give it. If Miles booted him, I'd defend Miles until the very end.

I just don't think that's going to happen, though. In reality, the diversion leaves the door wide open to follow precedent around the country and keep him but suspend him.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:48 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 am I guess it comes down to:

If that's the impression you got from my posts, then I didn't phrase correctly. I always err on the side of parting ways with a player in a situation like this. They all get second chances and I'd rather my favorite team not be the one to give it. If Miles booted him, I'd defend Miles until the very end.

I just don't think that's going to happen, though. In reality, the diversion leaves the door wide open to follow precedent around the country and keep him but suspend him.
I really didn't mean you. Not the impression I got from you at all. Seems that some are celebrating is all.
Defense. Rebounds.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I believe in second chances. I hope that everyone gets them, especially at 18- or 19-years old. I hope Coach Miles create high expectations and inspects what he expects.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

A diversion is not an admission of guilt.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

So...if he'd already admitted to committing the crime he'd been charged with, why would the DA offer diversion?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:12 pm So...if he'd already admitted to committing the crime he'd been charged with, why would the DA offer diversion?
Most likely: first offense, wasn't a major injury or crime, kid will learn his lesson after completing diversion program, so give him a chance to keep his record clean.

This happens all the time in KS for first time DUI offenders.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Also, Hatem Chahine has a great relationship with the Douglas, WyCo and JoCo DA's.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Guessing Les deal with Pooka a lot behind the scenes.... But I believe he returns. Probably w/ a 3-game suspension.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Anyone have any idea how time missed for a suspension would factor into the transfer rules?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Enrollment seems to matter for transferring. See Frankcamp, Conner.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:12 pm So...if he'd already admitted to committing the crime he'd been charged with, why would the DA offer diversion?
My hope is that the severity of the offense just didn't quite demand strong prosecution.

I am with 99 on this. I do not want our program to become late 80s Oklahoma just to get some wins.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Wasn't he dismissed from the team? Does he still have a scholly for this semester?