Pooka

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Pooka

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:31 amIf I was coach and the head of a program, it'd be a tough call and I'd lean towards to him not playing again at Kansas. But then again, I'm not the head of the program and I wouldn't fault if Miles decided that Pooka will be suspended a couple of games, and then will play again.
I think most could guess where I lean on this, but everyone is different.

I do recall that in Miles/Long's opening presser they talked about character counting and doing things the right way. Miles absolutely has to keep that in mind and dole out a consistent punishment.

Taking a plea deal is not like agreeing to a civil settlement. You are admitting that you did x, y and z. So, if a plea deal is given and taken, expect a lengthy suspension all the way up to kicking him off.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

One thing to note here is that Pooka did not have a prior criminal background. Did he make a mistake. Absolutely and there will be consequences for his actions but he should be afforded a second chance to rehabilitate himself. The question is does that second chance come at KU or some where else.
My guess is that he serves a multiple game suspension, undergoes counseling and is on a zero no tolerance policy moving forward.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:55 am One thing to note here is that Pooka did not have a prior criminal background. Did he make a mistake. Absolutely and there will be consequences for his actions but he should be afforded a second chance to rehabilitate himself. The question is does that second chance come at KU or some where else.
My guess is that he serves a multiple game suspension, undergoes counseling and is on a zero no tolerance policy moving forward.
I think your analysis and prediction are pretty spot on.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Agreed. I think that's the best case scenario in terms of being a fan for KU.

Wouldn't be shocked if it's a 4 game suspension and that be his only strike, or the next incident, he's gone.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:07 am Agreed. I think that's the best case scenario in terms of being a fan for KU.

Wouldn't be shocked if it's a 4 game suspension and that be his only strike, or the next incident, he's gone.
4 games, from the info provided, seems what I would give him if I were the coach.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Punishment shouldn't be influenced how talented a player is. Don't know what the punishment will be, but it immediately sets a standard.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:31 am Punishment shouldn't be influenced how talented a player is.
I think most everyone can agree to that, but coaches/administrators are human and it happens far too often.

Goes for coaches, too. Mangino wouldn't have been fired if he went 10-2 in 2009. Urban Meyer would have been kicked to the curb if he was 7-5.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:31 am Punishment shouldn't be influenced how talented a player is. Don't know what the punishment will be, but it immediately sets a standard.
Agree.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:31 am Punishment shouldn't be influenced how talented a player is. Don't know what the punishment will be, but it immediately sets a standard.
I have conflicting feelings about this, because - at the end of the day - is it really the school's job to police private behavior? Let's set aside (for purposes of this argument) whether there is a distinction based on where an incident occurs (as this one seems to have occurred on school grounds, making it somewhat a school issue by definition).

If there's not a bright line, you start talking about all of the reasons the school would have an interest in private behavior. The example you set for the other players, the reputation hit, etc. When you're there, doesn't it necessarily matter how talented the player is, in the context of where your program is? In other words, is the juice worth the squeeze?

The fact of the matter is that another program can survive - perhaps without even really feeling much effect - jettisoning a guy like Pooka for something like this. Just like KU basketball could have survived losing Vick a couple years back.

KU football cannot so easily survive losing players this talented. So, like it or not, the talent absolutely will play a role in how this is handled.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Cut him loose now and where does he go? I think Kansas pulls him closer, seek help, set expectations, enforce rules. Family. I don't care if he plays football next year, or ever...but you don't cut and run at the first problem.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Tough call. My guess is the accuser somehow some way doesn't want to go to court and follow through with this and they will come to an "agreement". She has to know if Pooka is booted she's basically fucked.
Regardless if this is the "first problem" or the second, or third, being found guilty of "battery" on a female student just may be grounds to "cut and run".
I'll let you read through the code of students rights and responsibilities. It's very vague in terms of what "punishment" may be enforced for specific "violations" but if he is found guilty, no doubt there are violations stated in section VI.

http://policy.ku.edu/sites/policy.ku.ed ... 0.6.16.pdf
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Thanks Gutter. I am not suggesting there is no punishment. Or that, he gets special privileges. I just hate the political correct answer that I see to often of kicking the can down the road. If Kansas Football kicks him off the team, they accomplish nothing. They can brag about standards, but they show none. Help this boy grow into a good man.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Counseling and anger management is probably the way I would go. Needs to be truthful about what pushed his temper past acceptable limits. Jealousy on campus is a fight starter going back to 1866
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I'll admit it. I'm in favor of depth chart discipline.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Leawood wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:01 am I'll admit it. I'm in favor of depth chart discipline.
I laughed, then cried.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Diversion. 1 more court date.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If the D.A. is willing to agree to a diversion, then it's probably a good indication that he will remain on the team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

2-3 game suspension is my guess.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

So, he's admitted to something if he's getting diversion?
Defense. Rebounds.