Mahomie

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Mahomie

Post by jfish26 »

I just think it's dumb for MANY reasons, not the least of which being: (1) you don't want to make Mahomes feel like this organization is constraining him - this is pickup basketball, not bobsledding; and (2) it's especially weird to block THIS GUY from playing other sports, where it's very very obvious that playing multiple sports is part of what makes him awesome.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:48 am I just think it's dumb for MANY reasons, not the least of which being: (1) you don't want to make Mahomes feel like this organization is constraining him - this is pickup basketball, not bobsledding; and (2) it's especially weird to block THIS GUY from playing other sports, where it's very very obvious that playing multiple sports is part of what makes him awesome.
Gotta disagree with you...the Chiefs, for better lack of words own him and they have final say. Mahomes knows that. His agents know that. Better yet, Mahomes and his people know the Chiefs are writing his checks and he is well in line to getting a much bigger one of those coming up. While it does seem a bit constraining the Chiefs have to protect their investment and Mahomes will soon realize that he is or may already be the new face of the NFL. It does him no good to be sitting on the sidelines because he felt the urge to go play against Joe Schome in the OP and hurt himself. Could he injure himself walking in his house of course. Things happen but at the same time you want to minimize the risk as much as possible.

Technically the Chiefs can't ban anyone from doing anything. You simply write in a clause in your contract excluding money if you hurt yourself doing any of the banned activities.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There's literally nothing he could be doing to stay in shape that doesn't come with injury risk. Of course it's possible for him to rip a knee up playing basketball, but I'd guess pickup basketball is very very far down the list of riskiness.

Just a dumb fight to pick.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

He could blow it out in OTAs, he could do it training on a beach but from the Chiefs stand point they would rather it be supervised with his or their training staff or in a controlled, team environment.

It is one thing if he was a professional basketball player but he is a professional football player. With success comes sacrifice. I'm sure once he signs that 200 million dollar deal he can build a indoor gym, restrict camera phones and play all the basketball he wants.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

but does he ride motorcycles?
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:39 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:48 am I just think it's dumb for MANY reasons, not the least of which being: (1) you don't want to make Mahomes feel like this organization is constraining him - this is pickup basketball, not bobsledding; and (2) it's especially weird to block THIS GUY from playing other sports, where it's very very obvious that playing multiple sports is part of what makes him awesome.
Gotta disagree with you...the Chiefs, for better lack of words own him and they have final say. Mahomes knows that. His agents know that. Better yet, Mahomes and his people know the Chiefs are writing his checks and he is well in line to getting a much bigger one of those coming up. While it does seem a bit constraining the Chiefs have to protect their investment and Mahomes will soon realize that he is or may already be the new face of the NFL. It does him no good to be sitting on the sidelines because he felt the urge to go play against Joe Schome in the OP and hurt himself. Could he injure himself walking in his house of course. Things happen but at the same time you want to minimize the risk as much as possible.

Technically the Chiefs can't ban anyone from doing anything. You simply write in a clause in your contract excluding money if you hurt yourself doing any of the banned activities.
You hit the nail on the head.
His agent (who is kind of a miracle story himself) should have made a point of having a "clause" in his contract stating Mahomie can (and will play) other sports "recreationally".
Not sure if the Chiefs would have agreed to it and my guess is it must have been discussed but to say a 20 something year old kid (no matter how valuable) can't participate in basketball games is a bit harsh.

When extracurricular activities are discussed two thoughts immediately come to mind.
1) Jay Williams
2) Michael Jordan
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm not saying the Chiefs lack the authority (under a contract or otherwise) to tell Mahomes not to play basketball.

I'm just saying they shouldn't do it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:44 pm There's literally nothing he could be doing to stay in shape that doesn't come with injury risk. Of course it's possible for him to rip a knee up playing basketball, but I'd guess pickup basketball is very very far down the list of riskiness.

Just a dumb fight to pick.
I'm pretty sure this league writes contract stipulations that give the teams an "out" if the QB uses an electric can opener.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Of course it's scary as a Chiefs fan to watch him do that.
But it's sports/exercise.
And he's 23.

Let him ball.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Save the professional athletes!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

All for it.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

What good is life if you make Millions and can't live?
Seems like chefs should write in every contract that you have to wear a seatbelt whenever you are in a car, after the DT incident.
Royals pitcher falls through a barn roof. Another cuts his finger using a can opener. Can't stop players from living life.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

KHunt is a Brown.
Is it bad that I was kind of hoping he would be a Bear?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Gutter wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:50 pm KHunt is a Brown.
Is it bad that I was kind of hoping he would be a Bear?
Only after he's a Patriot next, I guess.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

There’s a chance that he won’t be a Brown until first week of December. Still hasn’t been suspended by league yet. Schefter reporting he’s likely to be suspended 10-12 games. After that he’s a restricted FA.

Not surprised he was signed. Not surprised that other fans wanted him on their favorite team. I think KC will be just fine without him for the foreseeable future.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Hunt probably should be suspended for 10 games for each verified incident. It is pretty much unforgivable to be in these kinds of rage incidents and the hammer has to come down. That said, the Browns get a huge boost because the NFL wants them competitive. Hunt signs with them, his suspension ends during the strech run next year. I think the length of suspension is definitely impacted by where he signed. About every team was interested too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I bet the NFL gives him 12.
If the Browns are in playoff contention, he and Chubb could be a deadly combo.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

He even nails his Ketchup endorsement

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companie ... &ocid=iehp
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »