Mahomie

Kansas Football.
LVCHawk

Re: Mahomie

Post by LVCHawk »

Score 40 and lose on the road. I think he's passed every test, they just don't have a defense and have had a brutal schedule.

Good game for Mahomes and the Chiefs for when the playoffs come around, fix some mistakes they made in the first half and they might have won.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:18 pm Holy cow does this kid have an arm....probably scored too quickly though.
I was yelling YES, dammit, too damn fast
Defense. Rebounds.
Jakehawk

Post by Jakehawk »

New England played on a Thursday last week too, so extra days of rest and preparation. Plus without Houston and still without Berry. We played a heck of a game. What's with playing at Foxborough 2 years in a row?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Beat the Bengals next week and we are still in the drivers seat in the AFC.

That’s without Houston and Berry.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not a single nearly called on the Pats.
Must be nice.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NE had 10 days off. No penalties accepted against them and playing at home. And still squeaked out a win against a team without 4 regular defensive starters and some key backups as well. A first year starting QB and a regular week.

Pats won last night, but I don't think there's any doubt that you can honestly say that the Chiefs are the most impressive team in the AFC. Houston, Berry and Sorensen and even Murray will all make a huge difference when they come back. NE had a mini-bye week and still had to squeak out that win.

I predicted the Chiefs to be 3-3 at best with the first 6 weeks being just brutal. Well they are 5-1 and they have yet to play the dumpster that is the Raiders, and have the Broncos, Chargers, Ravens and Bengals all at home. Their toughest remaining game is in Mexico City against the Rams. Other than that, the toughest remaining true road game is what out of these 3..? Raiders, Seahawks or Browns. Chiefs can easily go 13-3 or 14-2.

I'm more impressed with the Chiefs in last night's loss than I probably have been with them all year. That was some impressive fight they showed, especially when their defense was not up to par with injuries and a fluke play where Speaks didn't want a flag on Brady's TD run. If Mahomes hits 2 of his 3 misses in the first quarter for easy TDs, then the Chiefs are 6-0 and feeling like the king of the AFC for sure.

Those were the 2 best teams in the AFC right there. And I fully expect a rematch at Arrowhead in January.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 am NE had 10 days off. No penalties accepted against them and playing at home. And still squeaked out a win against a team without 4 regular defensive starters and some key backups as well. A first year starting QB and a regular week.

Pats won last night, but I don't think there's any doubt that you can honestly say that the Chiefs are the most impressive team in the AFC. Houston, Berry and Sorensen and even Murray will all make a huge difference when they come back. NE had a mini-bye week and still had to squeak out that win.

I predicted the Chiefs to be 3-3 at best with the first 6 weeks being just brutal. Well they are 5-1 and they have yet to play the dumpster that is the Raiders, and have the Broncos, Chargers, Ravens and Bengals all at home. Their toughest remaining game is in Mexico City against the Rams. Other than that, the toughest remaining true road game is what out of these 3..? Raiders, Seahawks or Browns. Chiefs can easily go 13-3 or 14-2.

I'm more impressed with the Chiefs in last night's loss than I probably have been with them all year. That was some impressive fight they showed, especially when their defense was not up to par with injuries and a fluke play where Speaks didn't want a flag on Brady's TD run. If Mahomes hits 2 of his 3 misses in the first quarter for easy TDs, then the Chiefs are 6-0 and feeling like the king of the AFC for sure.

Those were the 2 best teams in the AFC right there. And I fully expect a rematch at Arrowhead in January.
It would be great if we could find a defense by then.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The defense you see now is what it is going to be for the rest of the season unless they fire Sutton (not likely) or make a move before the deadline (who I don't know but that seems more likely with every win).
That defense doesn't need to be the Steel Curtain. Just be competent. That is it.

At some point and time again this year the defense will be asked to either make a stop to get the ball back or to protect a lead. They held up against Denver but couldn't come through against Brady. That is what worries me because I see that same scenario as last night playing out in a playoff game in Dec or Jan against the Steelers or the Pats.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:02 am The defense you see now is what it is going to be for the rest of the season unless they fire Sutton (not likely) or make a move before the deadline (who I don't know but that seems more likely with every win).
That defense doesn't need to be the Steel Curtain. Just be competent. That is it.

At some point and time again this year the defense will be asked to either make a stop to get the ball back or to protect a lead. They held up against Denver but couldn't come through against Brady. That is what worries me because I see that same scenario as last night playing out in a playoff game in Dec or Jan against the Steelers or the Pats.
Well there's a little bit of a flaw in that argument. You have a 4 string safety covering Gronk for most of the night. And he has 2 big bombs that were killer in the 4th quarter.

The defense did make some plays to get KC back in the game. That was a game where KC needed a turnover in the second half to get the ball back. They did that with a strip sack of Brady, and almost had another if 24 (another like 5th string safety) holds on to the ball on a deep pass. But they held that offense to long FG attempts in the second half, when KC was scoring TDs. They were flipping the script of the first half. But then NE outscored KC 13-7 in the final 5 minutes in a true case of whoever has the ball last, wins. Also, NE was gifted a TD with the INT being returned to the 4 yard line on a play where Mahomes didn't even see the LB who dropped back. That's not on the defense.

It is worth noting that NEs RT went out of the game in the second half. If Houston was playing, he would have destroyed that guy and Brady wouldn't have had much time.

NE is good. Was on a mini-bye. Fully healthy. NE gave KC their best shot. I don't know if NE truly got KCs best shot.

If Mahomes puts just a tad bit of loft on some balls in the first quarter, those FGs become TDs, and if he doesn't throw a pick with seconds to go in the first half, we're all of a sudden talking about a game where KC wins and could have scored 50+.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

All valid points. The difference was that NE did just enough in the first half to rattle and confuse Mahomes which gave Brady the opportunity to capitalize.

I am fully in the camp that there is other things that Sutton could be doing to make this defense look better. Some of the stuff he does is head scratching. The easiest being putting a guy, in man to man that they picked up a week ago on the best TE in football in the biggest stage of the game. I'm pretty sure that behind closed doors Reid was not happy with that call.
Holidaysmore - 2005
shindig

Post by shindig »

So will Eric Berry even play this year? He was out all of last year right? This is getting ridiculous. They need to cut bait and move on after this year.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 pm So will Eric Berry even play this year? He was out all of last year right? This is getting ridiculous. They need to cut bait and move on after this year.
Yes he will play this year. There was a report on it yesterday morning. May not be until November or so by my complete guess, but that may not be a bad thing as he'll be fresh when other teams are banged up.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

IF, and I mean IF he does come back by November that would be a BEST, hell maybe even a dream scenario for the Chiefs. Give me a healthy EB for the stretch run.
Still doesn't solve the ILB problem. Both of them have been very inconsistent.
Corners are okay and with a healthy EB they will be fine.
Just my own petpeeve I could really do without Nelson celebrating after every incomplete pass that comes his way especially when that incomplete pass comes with a holding or PI attached to it.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:36 pm IF, and I mean IF he does come back by November that would be a BEST, hell maybe even a dream scenario for the Chiefs. Give me a healthy EB for the stretch run.
Still doesn't solve the ILB problem. Both of them have been very inconsistent.
Corners are okay and with a healthy EB they will be fine.
Just my own petpeeve I could really do without Nelson celebrating after every incomplete pass that comes his way especially when that incomplete pass comes with a holding or PI attached to it.
I'd be 100% ok with EB just covering RB and TE all day and let Parker, Sorensen and Murray roam the back of the defense. But in all reality Sorensen is the perfect Dime LB. He'll cover the TE and RB with decent success. Let Hitchens show some aggressiveness and attack. Hitchens has had to worry too much about coverage and not attacking like he did with Dallas the last few years. Get Ragland back to a definite 2-down ILB only.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Before EB got hurt his ability to range from sideline to sideline was unmatched unless your name was Earl Thomas. But to your point he completely took Gronk out of the game two years ago. A lot of this is based on a what if scenario because I have zero idea where he is at from a football shape. Blown knee, Achilles and now a spur are going to make you lose something. Even a 60% EB covering TE and RBs is better than a 100% of what they have right now. Dirty Dan fits best in a nickel or dime package. Where he gets in trouble is when he tries to play run support. Big no.

I like that point. Get both of those guys back to being hammers. Maybe some of that has to do with the lack of depth or talent in other areas. I don't know what the schemes are or the calls but watching the two Chiefs ILB is painful at times. They look slow and take awful angles.

Another guy who hasn't looked all that great and who I thought would be better - Fuller.
Holidaysmore - 2005
shindig

Post by shindig »

Is Sorensen out for the year? I like the way he plays aggressive, but yeah, sometimes a little dirty. They just need to get Berry and Houston healthy and back in. If Dee Ford goes down in a season ending injury...we are screwed. It might be smart to sign DJ for the cheap as insurance and then let him retire as a Chief at the end of the season...hopefully holding the Lombardi trophy :)
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Dirty Dan is not out for the year. He is eligible to return after week 8. I would look for him to start practicing with the team next week.

I'm not holding my breath with EB. That is anyones guess. Houston I would assume will return to practice next week. Now getting them both together, at the same time. Over the last three years. Nearly impossible and frankly not something I would put much money on happening.

The only way I see the Chiefs going after DJ is if someone gets hurt. DJ is still the same player he was when the Chiefs let him walk.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Let's play defense.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Fricking Bears could have gotten Mahomes (or Watson) and instead they got Cade McFuckuckingClown2.
Off the first place when the day started and now last place Bears bandwagon - and on the Chiefs.
Go Chiefs!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Except for one play, chefs are playing some pretty good D.
Defense. Rebounds.