Les Miles Article

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Les Miles Article

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's more the perfect time to rise because Kansas State is going to hover around the back 3rd of the conference for the foreseeable future.

We've played KS HS football: the talent just isn't there to have two good in-state P5 programs.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 am It's more the perfect time to rise because Kansas State is going to hover around the back 3rd of the conference for the foreseeable future.

We've played KS HS football: the talent just isn't there to have two good in-state P5 programs.
It can be if utilized correctly. Get the guys to be preferred walkons compared to playing at Pitt State or some place like that.

But I agree that Kansas has the chance to jump kstate in a hurry. Have to pounce extremely hard over the next 2 years.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

They're going to Pitt State mostly because they're not big enough. A shrinking population (relatively) that was already small means the state has just never had the horses. Plus obviously the strict KSHSAA rules that lead to underdevelopment.

Not that I'm suggesting we shouldn't be utilizing the state for every ounce of its resources, we should, via PWO program or whatever. But, I firmly believe it's a big reason why both schools, overall, have almost always sucked and the periods of good has always come at the expense of the other.

Now is the time to pounce. Les Miles is a way better sell than the North Dakota hayseed.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:41 am They're going to Pitt State mostly because they're not big enough. A shrinking population (relatively) that was already small means the state has just never had the horses. Plus obviously the strict KSHSAA rules that lead to underdevelopment.

Not that I'm suggesting we shouldn't be utilizing the state for every ounce of its resources, we should, via PWO program or whatever. But, I firmly believe it's a big reason why both schools, overall, have almost always sucked and the periods of good has always come at the expense of the other.

Now is the time to pounce. Les Miles is a way better sell than the North Dakota hayseed.
Valid points. I just crack up at staters who are dropping his catchphrases like "Win the dang day" all over the place, but yet made fun of KU fans for the whole "Believe" from Gill and "Earn It" from Beaty. I remember the previous NDSU head coach who went 43-2 over his last 3 years. He's now under .500 at freaking Wyoming. This new kstate coach is supposed to be that much better? Just don't see it.

It's been encouraging to hear Miles say that they are ahead of where they thought they would be at this point. That means guys are picking it up and are doing well adjusting to the change.

I mean.. Kansas went from a guy who was underqualified to a guy who is probably overqualified for the Kansas program. And it's great to be a fan right now. The fan interest is back up, the coaching quality is higher that it's maybe ever been and they have potential to do some great things over the next 4-5 years.

Now, I don't think Kansas wins more than 5 games this year. Probably go 4-8, but it will be a great stepping stone for this program.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Other than the KC Metro (possibly Topeka) you are going to be spending a lot of time trying to find diamonds in the rough if you are trying to 'croot KS (I guess JUCO excluded). Les has got it right. He wants to win KS but he is going to do it strategically.

Very good points about the Staters. Didn't even really think about that. Now is a GREAT time to leave that tired program in the dust once and for all. I would like nothing more than that.

I said it the first day that Beaty was hired. You don't need wins initially. You need to field a team that plays hard, mistake free football, and generally doesn't look like a clown show. With Les I expect we will see that right out of the gate. I fully expect them to win their first three games and some how steal a win in the Big 12. If that takes place and we are competitive in the others I would consider that a win.

I, for one, can't wait for football and I can't think of the last time, if ever I said that save for my illustrious college years.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:17 am
I said it the first day that Beaty was hired. You don't need wins initially. You need to field a team that plays hard, mistake free football, and generally doesn't look like a clown show. With Les I expect we will see that right out of the gate. I fully expect them to win their first three games and some how steal a win in the Big 12. If that takes place and we are competitive in the others I would consider that a win.
Eh, you still might get that a bit with Les. He's not perfect in that aspect. That and his somewhat ancient offense is part of what got him let go. But from practice video that I've seen, Kansas is fully expecting to stick with a spread look with mobile QBs.

But I'll tell ya what Les won't do. Call a TO on 4th and 3 on the opponents 40 yard line, act like he's really thinking about it, and then punt. Like Beaty did EVERY SINGLE TIME in that same scenario.

Les will let his nuts hang. He'll go for it on plenty of 4th downs, pull out trick plays on Special Teams and will always keep the opposing team on their toes in those situations.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't think like Les has any feeling to play anything conservatively.

He understands the spot he and the program are in.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Kansas has been through a bad decade. But man the Big XII has had some good offenses. Hoping to see an epic defense here.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Sparko wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04 pm Kansas has been through a bad decade. But man the Big XII has had some good offenses. Hoping to see an epic defense here.
That would be nice. A defense that could start setting the standard. I like high scoring games more if 10-20 points came from pick sixes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’ll take 4-8 any way I can get it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

A change to 3-4 base on defense is intriguing. Really focuses on getting after the QB.

Will probably turn into more of a 4-2-5 defense, but will still be aggressive as that is how DC Eliot has operated at Colorado and Kentucky.

I wouldn't expect one side of the ball to be so much better than the other. Kansas since 2007 has either been pretty good at offense and shitty on defense, or good on defense and bad on offense. Both will be pretty even. They'll compliment each other and I think Special Teams could be "Special" with Ekeler and Miles taking the reigns in that phase of this team. Ekeler is a straight crazy dude, and that's perfect for ST.

Think KU really starts to get a consistent winner by the third season. First 2 will be under .500 or right at. But I think year 3 has the chance to be 7-5 and then going up from there. But the first few years will be fun regardless as I think the program is definitely trending upwards.

ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Goals must be manageable and attainable. Imo, there's no upside to setting goals if few or none can be met.

Ensure consistently fundamental technique for both skill and down positions; settle on a (generally) established two-deep lineup; instill an unflappable mindset, and 4-8 may follow next season, regardless of the defensive or offensive designs.

Assuming the four wins are not by fluke or fairy-tale, and some of the losses appeared winnable, this would be a large series of strides. Again, imo.

Then we can talk about the following season's goals...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

For what seems like the 15th coach in a row, step one is replenishing the roster.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 pm For what seems like the 15th coach in a row, step one is replenishing the roster.

Replenishing aka getting the schollies right.
Holidaysmore - 2005
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Miles is really going after Kansas recruits.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 57959.html

I hadn’t realized that the 2008 Orange Bowl team was mostly Kansas kids.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

kubandalum wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:28 am Miles is really going after Kansas recruits.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 57959.html

I hadn’t realized that the 2008 Orange Bowl team was mostly Kansas kids.
KU had most of the kids from Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. They did extremely well in that aspect. And then sprinkled in some JUCO guys that started like Kendrick Harper and Chet Hartley. But it was mostly high school kids from Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. Oklahoma always has some sneaky good talent that Kansas can get.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Kind of a refresher yesterday during his presser after practice. Les was honest.

He said things were sloppy. Team making silly mistakes. But once the team got focused, they did better.

But, as he said, good thing he's had more than a few of those sloppy practices as a head coach, so he knows how to handle it.

As much as I liked Beaty, I don't know if he had that type of experience.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Was about the say the same thing...

We, as a fan base was fed a lot of smoke in mirrors during the Beaty era that I fell for. The hype never matched the product on the field.

Newton...you meant to say Beaty didn't have ANY experience, lol.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

LOL true. Liked him. But leading a high school team practice is much different than a P5 conference team.

Les is seeming to have a ton of fun with the students. Paying for lunches, playing games with them and telling them to show up for spring ball for student appreciation day where they get to go on the field.

Seems energized and ready to go. But we still haven't seen full Les yet. Not in the middle of competition Les screaming his head off, or Les going off in a press conference after a competitive game or Les during those rapid fire press conferences in the middle of the season. He's pretty mellow Les right now, but he seems ready to go.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

That first game is going to be so crucial for this program. The people are going to turn out for the game but they had better beat the breaks off of Indiana State. Les has a been a jolt of energy this program needed but now the product on the field has to match up.

Speaking of full Les...sounds like he was doing a ‘conditioning’ camp ala Self’s Boot Camp style workout before the start of Spring workouts. The staff was watching film of sprints they ran to measure every player. Guys were even being measured on how they stood after they ran. That is the attention to detail and the toughness this program has lacked since the Mangino years.

I have heard from current players that the workouts this Spring have been no joke. These aren’t the Beaty era workouts. Guys are being tested mentally and physically to simulate game environment and fatigue.

Weather withholding I am wondering what the turnout will be for the Spring game...
Holidaysmore - 2005