Les Miles Article

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Les Miles Article

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

If weather is good, it’ll surpass Beaty’s final game average of 15K.

Les’ first spring game. Under the lights. Student turnout might be there. Rick Ross. Hopefully decent weather. All that is a recipe for a good turnout.

I’m still debating about making the 3 hour drive up there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Also of note, the alumni game that is always put on will have some former stars.

Reesing, Briscoe and to a lesser degree of participation, Bobby Douglass.

They are doing everything they can to get fan interest back up.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I see 'Quib responded that he wanted to play WR on Reesing's team. Whose chain can he rip off on the opposing team?
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:25 am
Seems energized and ready to go. But we still haven't seen full Les yet. Not in the middle of competition Les screaming his head off, or Les going off in a press conference after a competitive game or Les during those rapid fire press conferences in the middle of the season. He's pretty mellow Les right now, but he seems ready to go.
https://kuathletics.com/watch/?Archive= ... pe=Archive

He had his final presser of the spring. We finally got a small glimpse of Les in Les mode. Telling people not to wear purple inside this building, Benton was on fire asking questions and had some fun with a student reporter.

Starts at 51 minutes.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:25 am
Seems energized and ready to go. But we still haven't seen full Les yet. Not in the middle of competition Les screaming his head off, or Les going off in a press conference after a competitive game or Les during those rapid fire press conferences in the middle of the season. He's pretty mellow Les right now, but he seems ready to go.
https://kuathletics.com/watch/?Archive= ... pe=Archive

He had his final presser of the spring. We finally got a small glimpse of Les in Les mode. Telling people not to wear purple inside this building, Benton was on fire asking questions and had some fun with a student reporter.

Starts at 51 minutes.
Better recap. He was definitely on fire yesterday.

https://twitter.com/wibwtyler/status/11 ... 89472?s=21

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Lord, please let the product translate on the field. I can’t remember a time when the KU football program had so much positive energy and momentum. They had a 2020 recruit give a verbal that was holding a couple of Power 5 offers. I can’t believe I am saying this but the football program is recruiting better than men’s basketball
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 pm Lord, please let the product translate on the field. I can’t remember a time when the KU football program had so much positive energy and momentum. They had a 2020 recruit give a verbal that was holding a couple of Power 5 offers. I can’t believe I am saying this but the football program is recruiting better than men’s basketball
It will be nice if they make it to campus
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/stat ... 32161?s=21

Another article. Les is having fun. Doing what he loves to do.

vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Good article. How many attended the spring game? Two articles now say 5K. Biased fans who attended say 10K+. Who is right?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Seems like majority of the west side was filled. So if you go off of that, you'd think close to 10K. Probably not as little as 5K but not more than 10-15K. Stadium holds 50K. You would think maybe 20K on each side and 10K in the bowl.

They didn't allow anyone on east side this year. The 5K estimate was given out by KU.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -way-go-up

Different day, same general Les Miles article.

He's energized. Ready to go. Ready for a challenge.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I can’t wait for football season.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

You can't convince me KU can't get to 4 wins.

2 non-con wins. And 3 homes games against bottom tier competition in kstate, WVU and Tech.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Les is not a 4 win kinda coach. We need the Statie game this year and next. Hell every year from here on out.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

hartjack8 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:48 am Les is not a 4 win kinda coach. We need the Statie game this year and next. Hell every year from here on out.
I do think he's put an emphasis on the kstate game more than any recent coach that KU has had. Telling reporters to not wear purple at his pressers, they have a beat kstate countdown clock in the weight room, I believe.

Part of that has to do with his focus on in-state recruiting. They want those guys and kstate is the main focus for most of them. The top 1 or 2 guys in the state are going to Nebraska, Wisconsin and OU recently, but the guys 3-10, Les is all over.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:03 pm You can't convince me KU can't get to 4 wins.

2 non-con wins. And 3 homes games against bottom tier competition in kstate, WVU and Tech.
I drank the kool-aid once and believed that a Beaty team could sneak its way to six wins. I'm not falling for that again but I don't disagree with you. At all. The road map is there to get at least four wins. Four wins in his first year and COMPETITIVE in the rest would be a major success for this program. Hell, the goal of the program right now should be give fans a reason to stick around for the second half.

I like Les's philosophies. Let's be realistic and win the state of Kansas first. Once we have done that then branch out and go after the kids that he was used to getting over and over again while at LSU. Beaty tried to win Texas because everyone thought that he had Texas ties but once we couldn't win there he couldn't win anywhere including in his own back yard.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Four wins in his first year and COMPETITIVE in the rest would be a major success for this program. Hell, the goal of the program right now should be give fans a reason to stick around for the second half.

I like Les's philosophies. Let's be realistic and win the state of Kansas first. Once we have done that then branch out and go after the kids that he was used to getting over and over again while at LSU.

couldn't agree more with all of this

you must've been reading my mind...was literally just thinking the bolded part
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yep. The thing I like the best is that he's not promising much. Just that the staff works hard, the players will play hard and they will go after the in-state kids very hard. Tough to win games when you can't win in your backyard.