XFL

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

XFL

Post by pdub »

Interesting/fun.
If this were in the NFL, and the Chiefs had the chance at a 3 point try, it'd make sense, often, to go for it because if you convert 50% of the time, you're ahead of the game.
I like their OT rule better than the B.S. one in the NFL now.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/264 ... -shootouts
noosh

Re: XFL

Post by noosh »

will be resigned to same fate as AAF
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Anybody watch today? I caught glimpses. Was actually impressed. AAF felt like an extension of college ball for those not good enough to make the NFL. XFL truly feels like the NFL minor league. They have the financial backing, former NFL head coaches and P5 HC on the sidelines. Oliver Luck is a good person to be commissioner.

Some good solid players out there. QBs would could be a 2nd string or 3rd string QB in NFL were playing. Some Kansas guys out there too. So that’s good to see.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I'm torn on the gimmick rules. How about just play football the way it should be played?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:56 pm I'm torn on the gimmick rules. How about just play football the way it should be played?
Because then it would just be minor league football?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

It's not?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 pmIt's not?
Minor league football with a twist?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 pm
Geezer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 pmIt's not?
Minor league football with a twist?
I liken it to the Independent Leagues of baseball...not governed under MLB so the rules can be tweaked.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Let’s say it manages to make it past, or through, a year...do they try out things fans clamor for as the flavor of the day, and the ones that actually prove to be god ideas get adopted by NFL?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's hard for me to care about it. I watched for a little bit.

Meh.

Bring back He Hate Me
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Bob Stoops and his Dallas team took an L tonight. I believe they were favored to win the league.
I guess Landry Jones not playing is the excuse they will have to go with.
That's probably going to be the last thing I post (and care) about for the rest of the XFL season.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Seems like it generated a decent buzz over the weekend but right now is a 'dead' period in sports and the last league also started out with a fair amount of interest.

My guess is this weekend is going to be the peak of its popularity. Perhaps it exists like the D-League does for the NBA but I can't see it doing anymore without a star presence. There is only so much of the different rules, access to coaches, etc that can be subsisted for the lack of play on field.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I heard St. Louis has a team. Which, is perfect, because the XFL is the St. Louis of football.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:40 am I heard St. Louis has a team. Which, is perfect, because the XFL is the St. Louis of football.
This is a good take right here.

No doubt the NFL will steal some of the gimmicky things the XFL is currently doing. I enjoy hearing the quarterback and coaches, though some of the play terminology is absolutely ridiculous.

In the end I think what will sink this league is the same thing that has sunk all spring football leagues. Part of the allure of the NFL is the anticipating. You have to wait for it. There's a buildup that lasts a long time. And when it comes, it's gratifying.

Year round football won't work because people need a break from it. That and, in the end, the quality of play just isn't that good.

This has more of a USFL vibe than the previous XFL - which is good. Glad they ditched the pro wrestling schtick.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I watched a little on Saturday. QB play between Seattle and DC was horrible.

I do like the kickoff rule and the extra point rule (minus the 3 point attempt)

Didn’t get to see it but LOVE the concept of the alternative to an onside kick.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Anyone still watching this? I think I watched about 10 minutes during the 1st weekend. Haven't paid any attention to it since.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm not.

but then again, I barely even watch the NFL.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Didn't watch much this weekend with nice weather in my neck of the woods. Was outside more than anything.

But from what I've seen, it's still a work in progress league. Need more teams, I think. I understand that waters the product down significantly, but 8 teams is too small. Having 2 games each day is nice, but you need some variety with the teams.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

these leagues haven’t worked previously, so not sure why anyone thought it would work this time
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I watched about 60% of the first game and maybe a grand total of 10 minutes after that.

I don’t think the quality of play was awful but it’s going to struggle to keep people interested.