2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 pm Everything we were led to believe was that Hill was being a model citizen and up until this off season, at least to the public he was. In this case the age old additive of, 'you are who you are' is most likely true.

The first thing if I was Hunt is to realize that he has a job to do first, which is to act in the best interest of the football team. Unfortunately the morality has to be second. You don't win Super Bowls or get extensions because you did the 'right' thing. You release Hill now he will get picked up in a year. You then have a WR who was top 5 in his position with a year off who is STILL on his rookie deal. Either you wait for Goodell to make the call or you put him on the Reserved / Suspended list for the whole year and re-evaluate in another year.

Hopefully the Chiefs learned from the Hunt situation. They got peer pressured into the public outcry and gave away a top 5 RB for nothing.

It does suck that this is what this has come down to but if the Chiefs release Hill because it is the right and moral thing to do (which I agree. he should be done with football for life.) some team will come back in a year and pick him up. Now you have given away two of your best football players for nothing.
But - this isn't true. Hunt doesn't have a job. He doesn't answer to anyone that he doesn't want to answer to. He has no extension to seek, no raise to ask for. No job to lose.

If he wants, he can decide that people like Hill just will not have a place with the Chiefs.

If he wants, he can decide not to take a hard line, and to paper over the issue with "commitments to the community" and so on and so forth.

There's not a right answer, I don't think. But I know for sure that he's not duty-bound to anything except his own priorities.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The Board?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Of the Chiefs?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes.

This one too. ;)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:05 pm Yes.

This one too. ;)
I don't know the exact nature of Hunt's ownership of the Chiefs. I suppose it's possible he owns them through a trust where someone besides him actually has some say.

But I'd guess not, and I'd guess to the extent he's subject to a board of directors or similar body, he has the authority to remove members of the board.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

From a technical standpoint Clark is the top. He is the CEO and the Chairman of the Board. Certainly the 'buck' stops with him. But at the same time his own priorities, I have to assuming are winning a Super Bowl. If you want to win a Super Bowl you want to fill your roster with 53 men who give you that opportunity. That also means that you have to make tough decisions in regards to players that are at the peak of their careers who have made egregious errors that you can keep and face the public backlash or potentially give away to a competitor for NOTHING.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:12 pm From a technical standpoint Clark is the top. He is the CEO and the Chairman of the Board. Certainly the 'buck' stops with him. But at the same time his own priorities, I have to assuming are winning a Super Bowl. If you want to win a Super Bowl you want to fill your roster with 53 men who give you that opportunity. That also means that you have to make tough decisions in regards to players that are at the peak of their careers who have made egregious errors that you can keep and face the public backlash or potentially give away to a competitor for NOTHING.
Like I said, I don't envy him the responsibility, but could he enjoy a Super Bowl won on the back of guys like this? The answer could be yes! Or it could be no, or it could be "not as much as if we didn't employ guys like this."

I honestly don't know what I'd do. I think I would always feel tainted if I made it to the mountaintop by compromising my own morals. I'd also lose sleep about the possibility that by enabling and empowering a person who had, and threw away, a golden second chance, there's always the specter of him doing something even worse, something that could ruin, and not just tarnish, my reputation.

BUT - I'm just a guy at a desk. I didn't grow up Lamar Hunt's son. My dad's name isn't on the AFC Championship trophy, and my whole life hasn't been spent readying for this Everest ascent, and I don't have to face this decision at exactly the moment the path became...well, if not easy, than at least smooth.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am just sick of morality being in play for sports figures. Do singers get banned from recording if they do drugs and screw outside marriage? Do actors get banned from being in jobs if they break the law?

We watch sports to be entertained, not to teach our children morals. Can't we just BE ENTERTAINED?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hill criminal case reopened.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:28 pm I am just sick of morality being in play for sports figures. Do singers get banned from recording if they do drugs and screw outside marriage? Do actors get banned from being in jobs if they break the law?

We watch sports to be entertained, not to teach our children morals. Can't we just BE ENTERTAINED?
I just think you're tilting at the wrong windmill here. What you seem to be talking about is your own opinion on whether athletes should be models. Your answer, which is perfectly defensible, is "no."

But what I'm talking about is Clark Hunt's prerogative to actually carry out his opinion (the same way a record company could choose to not work with R. Kelly, or a movie studio could choose not to work with Kevin Spacey).
shindig

Post by shindig »

I can't see him being a Chief much longer. With the case reopened, he'll most likely be suspended by the NFL for a year and maybe even spend some time in jail...I don't know? Crazy stuff. Tossed that winning lottery ticket out the window.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That's the most bizarre thing. Not sad thing because a child was harmed. But he just literally had to be good and somewhat decent for 10 more months. That's it!

Because he couldn't, he tossed $100M out the window and possibly his career on top of that as well.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:14 pm That's the most bizarre thing. Not sad thing because a child was harmed. But he just literally had to be good and somewhat decent for 10 more months. That's it!

Because he couldn't, he tossed $100M out the window and possibly his career on top of that as well.
Agree - which would support the idea that he's not capable of improving, at least not right now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:21 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:14 pm That's the most bizarre thing. Not sad thing because a child was harmed. But he just literally had to be good and somewhat decent for 10 more months. That's it!

Agree - which would support the idea that he's not capable of improving, at least not right now.
Yeah. It seems to be this is who he is, always has been and will continue to be.

Which is why the Chiefs should and will eventually part with him.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I think the Chiefs do not want to risk another Jovan Belcher incident. Or Rae Carruth. Do the Chiefs take steps to have him in an in-patient rehab situation?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Leawood wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:28 pm I think the Chiefs do not want to risk another Jovan Belcher incident. Or Rae Carruth. Do the Chiefs take steps to have him in an in-patient rehab situation?
Yep. Those were my earlier thoughts. There's a ton of risk in keeping Hill at this point beyond PR hits.

Would make for an interesting civil claim if he hurts someone not related to him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Civil claim vs the Chiefs?
Ugh.
The law system of the United States.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This is a tough one; football keeps these guys at peak roid rage levels much of their careers. Hill has a side of the story we need to hear. I think the head injuries, the constant workouts, and high performance expectations keep these guys on a razor's edge from snapping and the NFL needs to help. Worst case, shoving these guys to the curb hurts the families even more. Virtually anyone on an NFL roster has anger issues. We just hear more about it these days. Not sure what the answer is, but just pushing guys out seems to be pretty callous. Need an extended roster for treatment and therapy of all kinds. The money is there to take better care of players.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And there go all the corners.
Elway gets his guy.
And with Chris Harris getting no love from the Broncos and now a MIZZOU QB makes the Broncos that much easier to hate.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dorsey > Veach