columbusdjkc

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by columbusdjkc »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:19 pmDorsey > Veach
I dunno he drafted Hill, Hunt, and Peters 😂😂
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

The common denominator with Hill, Hunt, Peters, and now Clarke is Andy Reid.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

vmlb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:55 pm The common denominator with Hill, Hunt, Peters, and now Clarke is Andy Reid.

Isn’t veech a Dorsey guy?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Joe Flacco unfollowed the Broncos on twitter.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 pm Everything we were led to believe was that Hill was being a model citizen and up until this off season, at least to the public he was. In this case the age old additive of, 'you are who you are' is most likely true.

The first thing if I was Hunt is to realize that he has a job to do first, which is to act in the best interest of the football team. Unfortunately the morality has to be second. You don't win Super Bowls or get extensions because you did the 'right' thing. You release Hill now he will get picked up in a year. You then have a WR who was top 5 in his position with a year off who is STILL on his rookie deal. Either you wait for Goodell to make the call or you put him on the Reserved / Suspended list for the whole year and re-evaluate in another year.

Hopefully the Chiefs learned from the Hunt situation. They got peer pressured into the public outcry and gave away a top 5 RB for nothing.

It does suck that this is what this has come down to but if the Chiefs release Hill because it is the right and moral thing to do (which I agree. he should be done with football for life.) some team will come back in a year and pick him up. Now you have given away two of your best football players for nothing.
The Hunt situation was so messed up. I don't understand why as a team you can not just come out and say the player is going to have to prove that he is worthy and we are going to turn this over to the governing body the NFL. They will decide what is going to happen and what the player needs to do.
They NFL decides the punishment. The NFL says X is the punishment and the team goes OK but we think it should be X plus Y. What does cutting them prove??

The only thing as a team to be wary of is the impact of the player on team moral. If a player is cancerous to the team atmosphere you may just cut them to prove to rest of the players that this behavior will not be tolerated.

Now I say all this with out any direct knowledge of either Hunt or Hill circumstances. There are many sides to a situation and I tend to just stay away from the specifics. I have not watched any video or listen to any audio. All I know is that it seems that Hunt will be playing football next year for Cleveland and that is messed up.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

The Chief's cut him because he lied to them.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Did Daniel get drafted? If not, I hope the chefs give him a shot as a free agent.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

This is an incomplete list but just the moves on saw reported on Twitter so far:

Daniel Wise - Cowboys
Joe Dineen - Broncos
Steven Sims - Redskins
Shak Taylor - Colts
John Wirtl - Bears
Dwayne Wallace - Steelers
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Chiefs got a Hunt-like RB in 6th round from Utah State. Smaller, bounces off tackles, rarely goes down on first contact.

Chiefs had a good draft. Filled every need. DL, Interior OL, WR, CB, S, RB.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

He's apparently a total beast. Excited to see him on the field.

https://twitter.com/coachscholz/status/ ... 8557322240
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Sad to read about Washburn players. 23 year old JR. Pretty old for a Jr.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

We had a Senior laden team last year and ended with zero draft picks. Almost starting the believe DB was a good coach, but was a terrible recruiter. How did we manage to win 3? We beat TCU and they had 3 players drafted?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Beaty was not a good game coach. Not close, really.

But, yes, his bigger problem, and the reason he got fired, was his roster construction.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:57 am Beaty was not a good game coach. Not close, really.

But, yes, his bigger problem, and the reason he got fired, was his roster construction.
Not even close to a good gameday coach. He was predictable, basic in his game plans and it showed.

What he was good at however was getting the guys to play hard, to believe in their plan and leave it all on the field.

But I'm a little surprised Dineen and Wise didn't get drafted. Both of those guys deserved a late round shot. I think they both make a roster.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:48 am
holidaysmore wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 pm Everything we were led to believe was that Hill was being a model citizen and up until this off season, at least to the public he was. In this case the age old additive of, 'you are who you are' is most likely true.

The first thing if I was Hunt is to realize that he has a job to do first, which is to act in the best interest of the football team. Unfortunately the morality has to be second. You don't win Super Bowls or get extensions because you did the 'right' thing. You release Hill now he will get picked up in a year. You then have a WR who was top 5 in his position with a year off who is STILL on his rookie deal. Either you wait for Goodell to make the call or you put him on the Reserved / Suspended list for the whole year and re-evaluate in another year.

Hopefully the Chiefs learned from the Hunt situation. They got peer pressured into the public outcry and gave away a top 5 RB for nothing.

It does suck that this is what this has come down to but if the Chiefs release Hill because it is the right and moral thing to do (which I agree. he should be done with football for life.) some team will come back in a year and pick him up. Now you have given away two of your best football players for nothing.
The Hunt situation was so messed up. I don't understand why as a team you can not just come out and say the player is going to have to prove that he is worthy and we are going to turn this over to the governing body the NFL. They will decide what is going to happen and what the player needs to do.
They NFL decides the punishment. The NFL says X is the punishment and the team goes OK but we think it should be X plus Y. What does cutting them prove??

The only thing as a team to be wary of is the impact of the player on team moral. If a player is cancerous to the team atmosphere you may just cut them to prove to rest of the players that this behavior will not be tolerated.

Now I say all this with out any direct knowledge of either Hunt or Hill circumstances. There are many sides to a situation and I tend to just stay away from the specifics. I have not watched any video or listen to any audio. All I know is that it seems that Hunt will be playing football next year for Cleveland and that is messed up.
At what point do the Chiefs start to catch heat for not monitoring known problem situations? There's been enough smoke in the Star on their knowledge of both Hunt's and Hill's ongoing problems. It strains credibility to think the incidents that really broke each situation were entirely surprising to the Chiefs.

Setting aside the question of whether the Chiefs are or should be responsible to the community for these kinds of things...wouldn't it just make football and business sense for the Chiefs to pay someone to babysit Hunt and Hill?

Put differently - you'd have those two guys in uniform, and on rookie deals no less, had you spent a little bit of money keeping them in line.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

But at what point do the Chiefs say "We've done all we can do.."

I get the Chiefs should have some responsibility, but to keep track of say 30 guys that might have some issues is also fairly impossible considering these guys are making millions and have A TON of free time on their hands.

But football is so tough to keep tabs on these guys. Maybe they have done counseling, maybe they have had someone do a checkup here and there, but at a certain point, the guys will revert back to what they know.

They don't get to put these guys in hotel rooms for half the season like baseball and basketball. These guys have to spend 8 nights in a hotel room for the entire season outside of training camp. Outside of that, they are just like you and me, they go to work at 8 and come home at 6 or 7. What happens during those 13 hours is tough to keep tabs on.

Deep down, those guys will always revert back to what they know, what they previously did and what they know, there's not much that can change those guys outside of a rehab facility where they spend months and months away and could possibly eat into the season, which is why they are even on the roster to begin with.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Agree, though, that it's a bad look for the Chiefs to get beaten by TMZ and then KCTV5. After all of the "due diligence" promises that they made to the public.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 am But at what point do the Chiefs say "We've done all we can do.."

I get the Chiefs should have some responsibility, but to keep track of say 30 guys that might have some issues is also fairly impossible considering these guys are making millions and have A TON of free time on their hands.

But football is so tough to keep tabs on these guys. Maybe they have done counseling, maybe they have had someone do a checkup here and there, but at a certain point, the guys will revert back to what they know.

They don't get to put these guys in hotel rooms for half the season like baseball and basketball. These guys have to spend 8 nights in a hotel room for the entire season outside of training camp. Outside of that, they are just like you and me, they go to work at 8 and come home at 6 or 7. What happens during those 13 hours is tough to keep tabs on.

Deep down, those guys will always revert back to what they know, what they previously did and what they know, there's not much that can change those guys outside of a rehab facility where they spend months and months away and could possibly eat into the season, which is why they are even on the roster to begin with.
Eh, you're just talking logistics. Keeping tabs on guys is hard, but that just means it costs money. I think what goes on is twofold: (1) teams don't want to know what they don't know, and (2) teams don't want to be the leading edge on something that's going to piss the union off.

But man - now you're without a top-10 running back and a top-5 receiver because they just couldn't keep their shit together enough to not be violent? Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm sure someone wishes they'd sat these guys for a week or two some time in the past to send a message that this conduct was unwelcome.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think it's also fair to say that during these 3+ years for Hill and 2+ years for Hunt, they seemed to do everything that was asked of them. They seemed to do well in the public eye, did camps for kids and so on.

But it's also tough to believe the Chiefs much anymore. They asked for trust in the public eye when they drafted these guys. Dorsey and Reid begged that the community trust them.

Well they failed the community. You can't take them much for their word anymore. Reid is a big believer in multiple chances, and he's done well in multiple instances but he failed in this experiment.

UnholyLivingDead

So weird that while in Kansas City they're dealing with players involved with child and domestic abuse, meanwhile this is considered a problem down in Arizona.

https://twitter.com/Lane_/status/1122904759944585216