next soccer question

Other Sports.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: next soccer question

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:21 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 am What a dumb fucking rule, the away goal rule.
Stupid. And to make the better team go on the road first. Doesn't make much sense. Dumb format, dumb tiebreakers. Sporting was the better team last night over 105 minutes. Just those stupid goals did them in.

But the thing is, I don't know how else they should do it? Regular season record? Head to head in regular season? I honestly don't know.
If most of the variables have to remain the same - meaning you have to have the current number of playoff teams, you can't add a third game to the series, etc. - then I think you just have to go with straight aggregate, with a tie after 180 broken by +30 and then PKs.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah in a one-on-one matchup, you can't have that be the rule. In a round-robin like Champions League, I believe they use away goals, but that's over a span of 6 matches against multiple teams. Not a one-on-one matchup.

But I think that is the most viable alternative. Do a straight 30 minutes of play and then PKs.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:06 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:21 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 am What a dumb fucking rule, the away goal rule.
Stupid. And to make the better team go on the road first. Doesn't make much sense. Dumb format, dumb tiebreakers. Sporting was the better team last night over 105 minutes. Just those stupid goals did them in.

But the thing is, I don't know how else they should do it? Regular season record? Head to head in regular season? I honestly don't know.
If most of the variables have to remain the same - meaning you have to have the current number of playoff teams, you can't add a third game to the series, etc. - then I think you just have to go with straight aggregate, with a tie after 180 broken by +30 and then PKs.
Portland won 3-2
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Don’t think Portland would have scored last goal in Fish’s scenario. KC had everybody up. To get that goal to go up and move on. With that scenario, both teams probably play back and go towards extras.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Lol, if you don’t get the away goal rule, you’re not really a soccer fan.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:30 am Lol, if you don’t get the away goal rule, you’re not really a soccer fan.
Lol ok. That’s like saying if you don’t get why pitchers hit in the national League, you’re not a baseball fan, or if you don’t get why the clock stops on first downs in college football, you’re not a football fan.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 pm Don’t think Portland would have scored last goal in Fish’s scenario. KC had everybody up. To get that goal to go up and move on. With that scenario, both teams probably play back and go towards extras.
Right. The very existence of the rule bent the way each game was played. Which seems...not good.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hated the rule way before Thursday.

Now being a sore loser, I hate it even more.

Works elsewhere, not here. Especially with 2 draws.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

SKC was only better for the first 45 min in KC. Portland were the better team the rest of the time. If it weren’t for being a homer and a sore loser you’d see that. Both KC goals were gifted
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Oh I don't refute that at all, so I'm not sure where that is coming from. SKC was the better team all season but Portland completely took them out of their game in both matches save for some dominant SKC stretches in the 2nd match's 1st half and late in the 2nd half.

Portland definitely deserves to advance--I've just always hated the format and thinks it changes so much of the approach and dynamic. There are some positives to the rule but there are definitely negatives as well.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

On a lighter note: I downloaded FIFA '19 in a Cyber Week deal and the game is a F'n masterpiece.

To put in perspective: NBA 2K18 was a complete shitshow, just terrible, hell NBA Live '18 wasn't any worse. NBA 2K19 is amazing, perhaps the best 2K ever and FIFA '19 blows it out of the water. I don't even want to play 2K19. I don't know that I've ever played a sports game that feels so close to a real simulation.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I haven’t played FIFA since 17, have heard great reviews about 19 and thinking of giving it a try. In some ways I’m just Fifa’d out, been playing that game for so dam long. Would hate to see how many hours I’ve logged on that series.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:30 am Lol, if you don’t get the away goal rule, you’re not really a soccer fan.
I kinda agree with Cascadia here in terms of, I get the away goal rule.
I think you can still be a soccer fan though.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:29 pm
Fair.

My hot take may have been a little much. It’s just frustrating listening to, what feels like newer soccer fans, bitch about aspects of the game that they don’t understand.

It’s like the classic example of ‘don’t complain about the problem, offer a realistic and viable solution’ to the perceived problem
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think their solution would be a playoff there on the spot if there was total tie aggregate.
What they have now is better than just one game ( i.e. NCAA tournament ).
KC Wiz don't have a reason to complain.

Still had a good season.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:43 pm I think their solution would be a playoff there on the spot
What?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I didn’t explain well: if there was a tie in aggregate, regardless of away/home goals, you’d have a mini overtime playoff game.

They did that once the year KC won the MLS cup with Meola.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:29 pm
Fair.

My hot take may have been a little much. It’s just frustrating listening to, what feels like newer soccer fans, bitch about aspects of the game that they don’t understand.

It’s like the classic example of ‘don’t complain about the problem, offer a realistic and viable solution’ to the perceived problem
My preference is a true aggregate, but perhaps a compromise is to blast the away goal rule into the sun if the first leg is a draw. Therefore, there's still a ton of incentive to win the 1st leg on the road.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't know the right answer (and I don't know why it's just out of the question to play best-of-three).

I start from this place: it doesn't make sense for there to be a difference between a 0-0 draw and a 1-1 (or 2-2, etc.) draw in the second match. A tie is a tie, and should be broken in some sensible way.

At a minimum, there should be extra time in the second leg, and perhaps instead of some weird hypothetical advantage, the benefactor team should just get a deemed goal going into that extra time. In this example, if regular time had ended with a 2-2 tie last week, then extra time would begin with the score being 3-2 Portland. Straight rules from there (including PKs if KC scores one more goal than Portland in extra time).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:45 pm At a minimum, there should be extra time in the second leg, and perhaps instead of some weird hypothetical advantage, the benefactor team should just get a deemed goal going into that extra time. In this example, if regular time had ended with a 2-2 tie last week, then extra time would begin with the score being 3-2 Portland. Straight rules from there (including PKs if KC scores one more goal than Portland in extra time).
I really like this idea.