Other Sports.
Deleted User 89

Re: THE Golf Thread

Post by Deleted User 89 »

we are such a weird society
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

ramjet wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 am all the phones .......remember when the gallery used periscopes?
https://www.businessinsider.com/masters ... nge-2017-4
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Excited to see pairings for Ryder Cup..

Looking like Tiger could go with JT/Reed. Spieth with Reed/JT. Phil with DeChambeau. Watson with Simpson. Finau with Fowler. DJ with Koepka.

The DJ/Koepka pairing might be my favorite. Just smashers who are underrated with putting and short game as well..

Europe - Who cares about their pairings. They'll get destroyed.

US wins 16-12. Too many studs on the US team. Europe has 3-4 just amazing players, especially in Ryder Cup play. But the US has about 10.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the European team. They've got a lot more than 3-4 great players.

Course favors Euros. This is a tricky track with LONG rough. Plus crowd is worth probably 2-3 points.

Tiger is almost assured to be with Bryson Dechambeu for a session or 2. Tiger also could do 4somes with JT (I haven't seen if they've played any practice rounds together this week?) ..I'm curious if they try to get Tiger out for 36 holes either day or both day? That seems unlikely.

Phil may not play until singles. Same with Bubba. Reed may only get 1 session in before singles because we shouldn't want him out there in 4somes with as badly as he's driving the ball.

You can't put Phil out there in 4somes. He's playing awful and is terrible at alternate shot because he hits it all over the place. So he may get 1 session in for better ball, but even that may be more due to his status as a legend than his current form.

Imo the USA should be trying to get the hot golfers out as much as possible and not worry about feelings getting hurt by the guys who sit.

DJ
JT
Rickie
Jordan
Tiger
Bryson
Koepka
Finau

I would play those 8 as much as possible and the rest as little as possible. Webb is probably a decent 4somes partner because he's steady and accurate so he may be a good partner for someone in that format. The rest aren't playing very well and don't have skills suited for this course....obviously fatigue plays a part and health, so they'll have to manage that. Especially with Tiger.
Deleted User 75

Word on the street is that no American will play all 5 matches. I think that's a smart move as singles winning % for players who play all 4 team sessions is below 50%.

Maybe the smartest and least talked about move the Europeans have done in the setup/format is to have 4ball be the morning session of each day. The Americans typically have that reversed. This does 1 major thing: if the Americans want to get everyone out day 1 to get their feet wet, it very likely forces Bubba/Webb and also Phil/? (Probably Bryson) to play 4somes in the afternoon (assuming USA wants to get their best teams out in the morning)...this will likely result in Euros getting a minimum of 2 pts in the afternoon because I just don't think Phil is playing well enough to be an effective 4somes partner....but he's good with irons and will likely get 3 of the 4 par 3s due to where those holes fall....my hope is that they do the bryson/phil pairing in the morning and trot JT/Jordan out in the afternoon if that is the option. I'd much rather have Phil play in 4ball because of all the birdies he makes. If everyone is going to sit at least once they should all be on board with playing in their best formats.

Can't see any scenario where we don't put Tiger in the lead off match...likely with Reed....If I'm captain of USA and I plan to play tiger 36 holes 1 of the days then I'd probably do it Day 1, so he can rest a bit Day 2 and recover for singles day 3.

Sounds like Rickie/DJ is a group that we will see a lot of. As well as Finau/Koepka.

We will find out for sure in about 3 hours.
Deleted User 75

Well my predictions weren't great. LOL

4 ball day 1 match ups

Match #1: finau/koepka vs rose/Rahm

Match #2: DJ/rickie vs rory/olesen

Match #3: Jordan/JT vs casey/hatton

Match #4: tiger/reed vs molinari/Fleetwood

I see the USA being up 2.5-1.5 after the morning session at worst.

Have to say I like the Euro strategy here better than USA for session 1. They're getting the rookies out early for 4ball, and appear to be positioned to totally stack the 4somes session in the afternoon with Poulter Sergio Stenson and Noren.

USA will be weaker in afternoon 4somes if they send out bubba/Webb and Phil/bryson. Not sure how those 2 teams beat anyone the euros send out.

I predict it'll be very close at the conclusion of tomorrow's sessions with the USA dominating the morning and Euro winning the afternoon...

Tiger in last group of morning makes me wonder if that means he will rest in the afternoon instead of doing a quick turn around for 36 holes day 1.

I imagine brooks/finau will be sent out again together in afternoon for 4somes. Then it's a toss up. Maybe Tiger/JT or Jordan/JT.

Maybe the coolest thing (if you're a tiger fan) is that tiger got the loudest applause for intros and even had the euro crowd chanting his name for close to a minute (that didn't happen for anyone else, although Rory had some brief chants and was 2nd loudest intro easily)...they bood Reed which I loved because I don't like him.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think US goes 3-1 in session 1. But afternoon will be rough for them. I think Brooks/Finau and Spieth and JT go again in afternoon.

After day 1, I say US is up 5-3. Just think the US team is so stacked.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 75

Vegas has USA as favorites in every match except match #1 with finau/koepka vs rose/rahm... have to agree with that, although I predict Tiger and Reed will tie with molinari and fleetwood...simply because Reed is not playing well and is not very accurate. Molinari and fleetwood are experienced on this course and much more accurate off the tee and into greens than reed is. Tiger won't be able to beat them by himself, so if they're going to win they will need Reed to captain america again even though he's not been playing well...Vegas has this as the tightest match.
Deleted User 75

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Europe has kind of fallen apart a little bit so far this morning. Lot of balls in the water. Koepka/Finau trailer all match, and then came on strong at the end and played 18 about perfect.

US could sweep the morning matches. Impressive.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Could have swept before Reed really screwed the pooch. Tiger/Reed have an uphill climb.

Afternoon matches

Stenson/Rose vs. DJ/Fowler
Rory/Poulter vs. Bubba/Webb
Sergio/Noren vs. Phil/Bryson
Molinari/Fleetwood vs. JT/Spieth

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

US up 3-1. Really good. Fleetwood and Molinari played those last few holes really well. Woods and Reed did not. That is why they are taking the afternoon off.

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Solid start.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Euro's killing us in 4somes.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

As is custom for every single Ryder Cup. Europe always dominates, and the US always sucks with it. US is always lucky to get a point from this format. Four Ball and singles is the bread and butter for US team.

Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Geezer wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 am Euro's killing us in 4somes.
What's Tiger's Ryder 4some record? Has to be sub .500. Right?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think Tiger is sub .500 overall. I think he's like 11-18-4 or something along those lines. Don't remember exactly. But he hasn't been good at all with Ryder Cup play.

Deleted User 75

Furyk fucked this up from the moment I saw his session 1 pairings....and it appears he may do the exact same thing tomorrow. If he has any balls, and if this is really about the "team", then Phil, bubba, Webb, and Bryson will be on the bench until Sunday.

You can't put out these pairings for 4ball if you're going to play the teams of phil/bryson and bubba/webb. They'll get slaughtered. Europe is so good at 4somes. The teams they put out played awesome, and it fits their skill sets.
Deleted User 75

Good lord this is a bloodbath so far this morning. EUROs leading all 4 matches.