Royals

Other Sports.
Deleted User 183

Re: Royals

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Leawood wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 pm He didn’t throw at his head.
Right.

So it's ok because no one has ever had bones other than in their faces/heads that were broken by being hit by pitches?

Don't get me wrong guys, what Anderson did was Bush League and I know it's often an "un-written rule" to retaliate when a guy does that but I'm a chicken shit guy who feels a bat flip is harmless - other than to the pitcher's ego - and hitting a guy with a 90+mph fast ball can cause serious physical damage in which a player's livelihood could be in jeopardy because of it.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2654 ... eball-ways
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it’s not like this is a new thing

been a part of the game for as long as i can remember
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Anderson suspended for language used.
Keller for a start (5 games)
Renteria (CWS Manager for a game.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Well, at least Mondesi finally ended his road slump, so maybe now he can get his overall average up to his .353 home average. The bullpen is starting to look better now, too, so I think the outlook for the season is on the upswing.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Watching this Yankees game, I’m liking this team. I’m getting a 2013 vibe.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Leawood wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:52 pm Watching this Yankees game, I’m liking this team. I’m getting a 2013 vibe.
I think the same thing, but probably more of a 2012 vibe. A good mix of younger guys along with holdovers from teams in 2013-2015.

This team has the potential to be really good come 2021. Just based on who they have in the system right now and who they will have under contract in 2021.

Those young pitchers they drafted last year might be in the rotation by then with Keller, Junis and Lopez.

Gutierrez (Dozier), Mondesi, Nicky Lopez and Dozier (O'Hearn) around the horn.

Salvy still catching because that's what he'll do along with DH. Melendez might be a good player to go on a rotation with while Salvy could DH more. Side note, watching Maldonado as made me realize how good Salvy truly is. Maldonado can't hit, and is OK behind the plate, but not the best.

Khalil Lee, Bubba? and Whit in the OF. Soler will still be on team as well. Wouldn't surprise me if Brett Phillips is on the Royals 25 man as well.

Not too bad of a team there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Beginning with the game against New York in which Mondesi ended his road batting slump, and including all the games since through the Tampa Bay series, Mondesi has had 28 at bats and 8 hits. That’s a .350 average since ending the slump, and all of it on the road.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Are we the worst team in baseball?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:37 am Are we the worst team in baseball?
Thankfully Derek Jeter runs a team
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Here's the thing I like. They're exciting to watch actually. Yeah their pitching stinks, but they lead the league in triples, they put the ball in play quite a bit as they only strike out on average 8 times per game. Lead the league in steals.

They lead the league in fielding percentage. So they don't make errors.

Their bullpen has held them back from being a .500 team or better right now.

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching them play. I'm just not expecting wins with that dumpster fire of a bullpen. And if you watch games that you don't expect them to win, you don't worry nearly as much, you watch for the entertainment value of it.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:07 am Here's the thing I like. They're exciting to watch actually. Yeah their pitching stinks, but they lead the league in triples, they put the ball in play quite a bit as they only strike out on average 8 times per game. Lead the league in steals.

They lead the league in fielding percentage. So they don't make errors.

Their bullpen has held them back from being a .500 team or better right now.

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching them play. I'm just not expecting wins with that dumpster fire of a bullpen. And if you watch games that you don't expect them to win, you don't worry nearly as much, you watch for the entertainment value of it.
The dumpster fire bullpen is really hard to take when the Royals had made such a seismic change to the sport using three good short relief pitchers. Ricky Lopez is with the team finally. Starling should be soon as well. This is not a bad team. But the GM has been on a Mendoza Line run.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I would think since the season is a loss already, you've got to bring in Bubba and see what he can do. Also I would hope to see Singer and some of the other college pitchers they drafted last year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There's zero reason to rush any of the pitchers, even in 2020. There's no baseball reason to do it. There's no business reason to do it. There's no developmental reason to do it.

We'll see Starling at some point (likely in connection with a Hamilton trade) this year. And of course Zimmer will be back up. Other than that, along with a smattering of AAAA shuttle guys, this is about what we'll see this year.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I do think that Singer, Lynch and Kowar all move up to NWA in AA soon though. They are doing very well in High A ball.

Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Time to trade Whit?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sounds like Starling is about to get the call. I have no expectation that he'll ever hit enough to be an average regular, but I'm rooting for him to pull a long career out of what was nearly a complete washout.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm rooting for him

to win a Heisman in Lawrence.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It doesn't mean much because of his injury history. But Soler has tied his career high in HR. 12 at the end of May.

He has been smashing the ball. Still striking out a bunch, if you can get 30 HR/75 RBIs from him, you try to extend him. Him mostly being a DH has kept him healthy and now with Whit in RF, there is no need to play Soler in the field at all.

The pitching still stinks. But good news, the core group of pitching prospects are starting to move up to AA. They have dominated A ball.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Bailey and Lopez are long relievers really. Sparkman and someone else need to start. Waive Owings. Bring in Starling.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:54 am It doesn't mean much because of his injury history. But Soler has tied his career high in HR. 12 at the end of May.

He has been smashing the ball. Still striking out a bunch, if you can get 30 HR/75 RBIs from him, you try to extend him. Him mostly being a DH has kept him healthy and now with Whit in RF, there is no need to play Soler in the field at all.

The pitching still stinks. But good news, the core group of pitching prospects are starting to move up to AA. They have dominated A ball.
Isn't he under club control for at least a couple more years? I don't think he's a guy you lock yourself into long-term. He's not young, he has no defensive value, and he's never stayed healthy.