Baseball

Other Sports.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Baseball

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Trout and Angels on verge of agreeing to 12 year $430M deal.

And I think he's worth every dang penny.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Scott Boras is so pissed right now
Last edited by Cascadia on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

If Trout's agent took the minimum that agents usually do at 4%, he'd still rack in over $17M on this deal. Insane.

Also of note. Craig Landis is the agent. His only client is Mike Trout. I guess he picked correctly.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:10 am If Trout's agent took the minimum that agents usually do at 4%, he'd still rack in over $17M on this deal. Insane.

Also of note. Craig Landis is the agent. His only client is Mike Trout. I guess he picked correctly.
Wow, I picked the wrong career. That dude only has to work a few weeks out of the year, rest of the time he's on the golf course.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Happy Opening Day.

Here's to hoping the Royals make things exciting. Which I think they can.

Just give me 70-75 wins, and I'd be more than ok with that.

Excited to see a full season of Mondesi.

Can Soler finally reach his potential?

Chris Owings being the utility guy is intriguing. Had a good spring. Will play 2nd as Whit goes to RF.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soler is going to breakout this season. Still a lot of strikeouts, to be expected, but is going to hit the ball nicely.

Unfortunately, another tough year for KC. 65-70 wins.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:03 am Soler is going to breakout this season. Still a lot of strikeouts, to be expected, but is going to hit the ball nicely.
I went to a game 2 years ago at the K. Was standing in the outfield as he cracked a homerun off a lefty (What was the opposing manager thinking) and I've never heard a sound like that off the bat ever. And there were multiple homeruns that game, his just sounded so different. When he connects, it goes a long way.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Soler = Udoka
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Lol, can’t wait for Soler to be trash again
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Weird thing to hope for.

Jorge Soler, OF, Kansas City Royals: He did break out last year, at least partway, before a broken foot ended his season in June; that has been a big part of the story of Soler's career, as he has always had trouble staying healthy. He has very quick hands at the plate and plus bat speed; last year he hit nine homers in 61 games, a 24-homer pace I think he can match or even exceed if he can play a full season in 2019. While he's going to swing and miss some, he makes such good contact when he does put the ball in play that I think he can pick right up where he left off last year and carry it for a full season.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_ ... ayers-2019
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

WAR as a Royal?

We have him for...two more years?

I'd take 3.3 and 5.7 win seasons!
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’m sure we’ll get

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soler's first AB:

gets up 3-0.

Strikes out looking on a 91 mph 2-seam right down the middle.

F U Cascadia! ;)
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

But man when he connected later. Won the game. Royals have a solid offense and defense. Hoping not to fear the bullpen anymore. But it was cold and wet tonight. 1-0. Keller was awesome
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:54 pm Soler's first AB:

gets up 3-0.

Strikes out looking on a 91 mph 2-seam right down the middle.

F U Cascadia! ;)

I’d love it if he’d produce, but I just don’t see it happening.

That trade was horrendous at the time and was only made worse by the insane claims of future greatness for Soler.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Call the season.
We're the best we are going to be.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Really like Keller. Not a strikeout guy, but his stuff is nasty that batters don't get solid contact.

If the Royals get good production from Keller, Junis and Lopez, they'll have a good year. Just need Bailey and Duffy to give them a solid 5 innings most of the time.

I really like the top of the lineup.
Whit is solid all around
Mondesi is going to be an absolute star
Gordo had some good moments yesterday. Has to keep it up.
Soler staying healthy is key. If he's healthy, he can hit 25 homers
Schwindel/O'Hearn/Duda combo at first is meh. They'll get you some production, but nothing special
Dozier had some ugly AB yesterday. Can be a good hitter and is an above average fielder
Maldonaldo is only there for defense. Don't expect much from him at plate
Hamilton is fast, when he gets on base. That's the key for him.

I saw something absurd the other day. Some website is predicting the Royals to have something like 250 stolen bases all year. The next closest team is predicted to have 120 or something like that. The Royals will run all over the place with Whit, Mondesi, Hamilton, Gore, Gordon and Owings. All those guys can get 15+. Trying to ying while everyone else yangs.

Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I remember the days in the 70s/80s when the Royals stole bases all the time. I would endorse that strategy.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Leawood wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:43 pm I remember the days in the 70s/80s when the Royals stole bases all the time. I would endorse that strategy.
Today's stat nerds hate it. Think you should either hit a home run, or strike out trying based off of launch angle and all that shit..

I'm all for getting guys on, moving them on the bases and manufacture runs instead of hitting homers or striking out.