Professionalism part deux

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:04 pm Also, to the curly brunette who decided to strip down to her sports bra and tights and perform her post-ski yoga stretches right there on the floor of the shop
This damn guy still bitching about his job?
Dangit, yer right.

From now on the only thing I’ll post about my job is the workplace hookups.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

lol so!

This ditzy little blonde chick started a few weeks ago as a receptionist in another department.

Management decided she wasn’t working out and wanted to let her go.

But first, they hired a new receptionist and had the blonde chick train her for a week before they fired her.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

that's fucked up

not good enough to do the job, but good enough to train someone to do the job?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That's extremely messed up. Couldn't imagine that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 am lol so!

This ditzy little blonde chick started a few weeks ago as a receptionist in another department.

Management decided she wasn’t working out and wanted to let her go.

But first, they hired a new receptionist and had the blonde chick train her for a week before they fired her.

I know you said she was ditsy, but what did she think she was training the new girl to do?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, ideally we have more than one receptionist on staff in a given department at a given time, so I’m guessing she thought she was just getting a coworker up to speed.

What’s funny though is when we DON’T have a full staff of receptionists and such.

Instead of EEEEK! just paying overtime to someone trained for the position, or DOUBLE EEEK! just expecting a manager fill in the gaps, they’ll instead either send some sap like me up to hold down the desk, or just not staff a reception desk at all.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Related:

Yesterday a newer coworker of mine observed, hey ousdahl, isn’t that person over there the assistant GM?

Yup.

Really? Somebody told me that but I kinda didn’t believe that, cuz I’ve never seen that person manage a thing. He just comes in the shop and folds sweaters for a couple hours a day then disappears. You’d think we could find someone lower on the pay scale, cuz that’s a really expensive sweater folder.

Also, other coworkers observed the owner of the place come in the shop this morning and barely even mumbled a hello in passing. You’d think the owner would be like hey how’s it going I’m the owner lemme shake your hand how’s the shop today okay thanks for your hard work btw here’s a little bit of direction how I like to do things around here...but he just kinda passed through without even acknowledging us!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You should probably quit.

Or, find something positive, since dysfunction appears to be a known quantity, and relish the positive and quit complaining.

The texan stories are funny though.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TDub wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:00 pm

The texan stories are most likely made up though.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hi we’re locals, but my wife is feeling sick...could y’all tell us where we could find a doctor’s office or walk-in clinic?

Wait, you’re local but you don’t know where the doctor’s office is at?

Well, not local locals. We live in Houston but we have a condo up here where we spend one weekend a year. So you know, local! Btw is there any chance that office might be on the way outta town?
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

I would have told the guy that ya'll kill your wives when they are feeling sick because there are no doctors nor walk-in clinics within hundreds of miles and no one likes to hear a complaining wife.
Or maybe not.

Speaking of people feeling sick, I am having a situation at my work where the same people feel a need to take at least 40 days off a year because they are "sick". I can't for the life of me figure out how and why they get away with it and how and why they have no moral conscience.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So I normally don’t drink soda. Like once every few months.

Today I thought, heck I could go for a coke. Go down to the break room, and the coke machine says, “OUT OF ORDER UNTIL SERVICE ON 1/13/19”

Man, now I really fucking want that coke.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

guess who’s interviewing for the head guide position at the rival guest resort the next town over!

Question: so how do I use an interview/offer from a rival business as leverage to improve my position at my current employer?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You dont. You hate your current employer. If you get the offer, then leave.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

in my experience, wait till you get an offer then decide what you want

nothing wrong with letting your current employer offer some sort of retention package

i’d also tactfully assess the situation at competitor as far as your complaints with your current employer goes
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

thanks guys, meant to reply sooner.

I don't hate my current job tbh. It's actually pretty cool in a lot of regards. Sure the management is shortsighted and incompetent, but most of the time I can just giggle about it. (the only time I really get frustrated is when it's personally detrimental to me)

current job:
pros - full time year round with benefits, get paid to ski (I'm getting lessons again once I bellyached enough about management scheduling themselves to do it instead), I have almost 4 years experience there, it's right by my sweet current apartment on the cool end of the county
cons - the management lulz, the place actually kinda has a bad rep around town, it gets lame having to make excuses to high-paying guests about the low-rent policies, I might not even get the opportunity to be a head guide who actually guides

new gig:
pros - sounds like I would get all the trips I can handle, the place has a much better reputation around the community and from customer reviews, it would be a new adventure, whole new crop of potential workplace hookups
cons - the head guide position may only be seasonal at this point/might have to negotiate some other role to be full time, it's on the other end of the county with more hicks and fewer party girls, longer commute by about 20-30 minutes from my current place, I'd have to get to know a whole new job and stuff, sometimes the grass isn't always greener...

and to be fair I think both places accommodate a similar proportion of Texans.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

here's one illustration just for lulz:

last week the assistant GM at my current job approached me and said, "has the GM met with you yet about fly fishing?" Nope. "Oh well he wants to meet soon." So I go find the GM. He says he wants to meet this Wednesday, just email him about it to confirm a time. So I email. Still haven't heard a thing. Gonna follow up tomorrow, then if I have to, just go knock on his office door Wednesday.

Today I get an email from the assistant GM of the new gig. "ousdahl can you meet Wednesday or Thursday?" I can't Wednesday but am available Thursday...get an email right back: "awesome see you Thursday!"

ain't it great when professionals are professional?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what's appropriate attire to wear to an interview for a head fishing guide?

dare me to show up in waders?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Top hat and tails.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »