Professionalism part deux

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks guys. I concur.

So our margin of error with staffing is waaaay thin this year. We have about half the staff we’ve had every other winter, and some of them aren’t even capable of doing ski lessons.

So my manager had been putting himself on more and more lessons. There were two yesterday morning that I missed out on cuz I was closing shift and didn’t come in in time.

I asked the manager before if I could come in early to take them, but he said no, he’s taking them cuz he wants me closing the shop instead.

I asked if I could be put on fewer closing shifts so I could be around for more lessons, but no, we’re too short staffed to play with the schedule like that.

I expressed concern about this summer, and missing out on fishing trips cuz I had to close the shop.

He replied that this is just gonna be the way it is, and left me with a common refrain: “just be grateful to work here.”

I said I was less and less grateful to work here especially if it meant loosing opportunities to get tipped cuz the manager was doing it while I run the shop for him.

I’d say I should just quit, but I’m gonna run this up the totem pole first. I’ve been buddying up to the gm and coo, and would be thrilled to have them big time the manager.

This I suppose is more collateral damage from short staffing (not to mention the guest experience). Management is unable/forgot to hire enough staff, which should be considered a crisis, but unfortunately the owner thinks he’s some kinda genius for keeping staffing costs low. Sigh.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

You have an interesting strategy to move up the corporate ladder.

I would say give less advice and just do whatever they tell you to do.

Owners care about profits. That's about it. Customer experience is a distant 2nd at best. Employee experience even further down the list.

Or quit.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

yeah, ousie...just throw your work ethic and aspirations out the window

get back in the herd and quit trying to be an over-achiever
Deleted User 75

LOL yup that's exactly what I said.

If you've got big aspirations then leave your company that you've said repeatedly is terrible. They're not running it that way by accident. Trying to move up the ladder in a shit organization seems kind of stupid.

Start your own and be their competition. You seem knowledgeable enough about the industry.

Do you have access to monthly financial statements? Imo, it'd be nearly impossible to give an educated recommendation on how they should run their company and staff their shop without access to income/expense statements.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m not trying to move up the corporate ladder.

I’m just trying to carve out a niche as a tippable staff, but management is trying their best to screw it up for me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And no I don’t have access to financial statements.

But all I know is, if they want the manager doing tippable services while I run the shop for him, then just give me the goddamn salary instead.
Deleted User 75

I feel you on that.

Fuck that place then. Find somewhere better. Sounds like you've got plenty of experience.

Worst case, find an ugly chick on tinder and get you a snuggle buddy for the rest of winter. Tax refunds right around the corner. Get yourself a sugar momma and go fishing.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:04 pm I feel you on that.
Tax refunds right around the corner.
LMFAO
Deleted User 75

Tax time Ballin'

Doing it for the culture
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Ousy, you get paid to ski and fish.
Think about that while you bitch about your job.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

lotta truth, geez
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Agreed, but ousie still has bills to pay.
And it may be illegal for the manager to get tips while squeezing out the employee.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Geezer wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:33 am Ousy, you get paid to ski and fish.
Think about that while you bitch about your job.
no dude, that's the thing! I'm NOT getting to ski and fish!

If I would I wouldn't be complaining, cuz in terms of tips, and general job experience, that's what I want and need.

But instead, the manager is taking out the ski lessons why I run the shop.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am Agreed, but ousie still has bills to pay.
And it may be illegal for the manager to get tips while squeezing out the employee.
whoa, illegal? ugh do I need to lawyer up?

Hopefully just talking to the higher ups will nip it in the bud.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

not sure. can't hurt to ask
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 75

Illegal to give lessons because the guy is a manager?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, the guy is a salaried position expected to manage a department, but instead he’s scheduling himself for tippable services and going out with guests while I’m running his shop for him.

To use the food service analogy, what if you accepted a tippable waiter or bartender position, but then the manager ends up waiting the tables so he can make the tips while you do things like train new staff and order new products and put out fires when y’all guests throw tantrums, all at the “tippable wage rate” instead of getting that manager salary to...you know, manage.

And FYI a “tippable wage rate” is a wage that’s intentionally lower than otherwise cuz they expect you to be getting tips.

That’s why the federal minimum wage for tipped employees is like $2.13 an hour.

In other words, I’m getting boned.

But hey, I just met with the next manager up about it, and they seemed to agree it’s not appropriate.

But it might be a while. Cuz btw I have 8 bosses, Bob.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also, to the curly brunette who decided to strip down to her sports bra and tights and perform her post-ski yoga stretches right there on the floor of the shop:

I meant it in the most professional way possible when I asked ‘ow YOU doin?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:04 pm Also, to the curly brunette who decided to strip down to her sports bra and tights and perform her post-ski yoga stretches right there on the floor of the shop
This damn guy still bitching about his job?
Deleted User 75

You're working for less than $5 per hour?