More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Post by jhawks99 »

That's less than an hour from my house. Seems they've been in court since the place opened. They took Williamstown to court last year when the town tried to tax them to provide fire and emergency services to the park. Hamm contended that since he was there, the city had to provide the services free of charge. Not sure how that came out.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Boys will be boys?

German Catholics Storm Out Of Sermon Urging Forgiveness For Predator Priests

About 70 parishioners stormed out of Holy Spirit Church of Münster in northwest Germany on Sunday, after realizing what exactly the Rev. Ulrich Zurkuhlen was asking them to do, Deutsche Welle reported.

The retired, 79-year-old priest was apparently attempting to preach about the importance of forgiveness in Christianity, using examples from the Bible to insist that pedophile priests deserve to be forgiven, too.

Zurkuhlen’s words did not sit well with parishioners, some of whom were reportedly victims of clerical abuse themselves. Members of the congregation started arguing with Zurkuhlen while he was preaching. The situation escalated quickly, which led to a crowd of angry parishioners walking out.

During an interview with Kirche-und-Leben (Church and Life), a news site for the Diocese of Münster, Zurkuhlen described the parishioners as a “screaming mob.” He bemoaned the fact that he wasn’t able to finish the sermon and get across his point.

Zurkuhlen complained about bishops referring to predator priests as “criminals,” even if the men were otherwise good at their jobs.

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Job Performance Evaluation: Meets Expectations

Comments: "Except for his raping of altar boys, he was otherwise good at his job."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I might be an atheist, but even I have trouble believing this:

https://twitter.com/PewReligion/status/ ... 0939782144
Anand Giridharadas
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I'm surprised at the large group of evangelicals.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

More evidence that the most hard core Christians are the least Christ-like
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 am More evidence that the most hard core Christians are the least Christ-like
https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/status/ ... 0366083073
Anand Giridharadas
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:49 am That's less than an hour from my house. Seems they've been in court since the place opened. They took Williamstown to court last year when the town tried to tax them to provide fire and emergency services to the park. Hamm contended that since he was there, the city had to provide the services free of charge. Not sure how that came out.
It's not well known, but there's a section of the bible that dealt with Noah and what a litigious asshole he was.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Warning, this has my Male Feminist radar pegged at 11!

Jimmy Carter sets the bar for former presidents, at least in my lifetime. I can't link the entire article, but imo, it's worth the read:

Losing my religion for equality

I HAVE been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the world. So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when the convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service.

This view that women are somehow inferior to men is not restricted to one religion or belief. Women are prevented from playing a full and equal role in many faiths. Nor, tragically, does its influence stop at the walls of the church, mosque, synagogue or temple. This discrimination, unjustifiably attributed to a Higher Authority, has provided a reason or excuse for the deprivation of women's equal rights across the world for centuries.

At its most repugnant, the belief that women must be subjugated to the wishes of men excuses slavery, violence, forced prostitution, genital mutilation and national laws that omit rape as a crime. But it also costs many millions of girls and women control over their own bodies and lives, and continues to deny them fair access to education, health, employment and influence within their own communities.

...The carefully selected verses found in the Holy Scriptures to justify the superiority of men owe more to time and place - and the determination of male leaders to hold onto their influence - than eternal truths. Similar biblical excerpts could be found to support the approval of slavery and the timid acquiescence to oppressive rulers.

I am also familiar with vivid descriptions in the same Scriptures in which women are revered as pre-eminent leaders. During the years of the early Christian church women served as deacons, priests, bishops, apostles, teachers and prophets. It wasn't until the fourth century that dominant Christian leaders, all men, twisted and distorted Holy Scriptures to perpetuate their ascendant positions within the religious hierarchy.

The truth is that male religious leaders have had - and still have - an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter. Their continuing choice provides the foundation or justification for much of the pervasive persecution and abuse of women throughout the world. This is in clear violation not just of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights but also the teachings of Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, Moses and the prophets, Muhammad, and founders of other great religions - all of whom have called for proper and equitable treatment of all the children of God. It is time we had the courage to challenge these views.
Anand Giridharadas
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Nice find
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

remember that missionary that was killed in the Andaman islands?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2400030/j ... h-sentinel
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:58 am remember that missionary that was killed in the Andaman islands?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2400030/j ... h-sentinel
Interesting, but long.
Anand Giridharadas
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Very interesting. Very long.
Lots to think about.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Yesterday I was switching channels and I watched 2 minutes of Chris Cuomo speaking with a Priest (?) in El Paso. I am searching for video of it and can't find it. I really want to watch the entire "interview" because the two minutes I watched were mind blowing. As I often say, I am all for religion being a part of someone's life if it makes them a better person. Problem I witnessed yesterday was that the Priest was spewing what I felt was religious garbage and using the tragedy in El Paso as a crutch to do as such.
Then you have Chris Cuomo and CNN giving him a platform and eating it up. Why? How much of it was authentic and how much of it was an act? I couldn't take it. I had to turn it off.
If anyone can find the video please share it. Thanks.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We hosted an interesting event earlier this year in the spring. My wife and I cruise the end of semester student art shows at the Kansas City Art Institute twice a year. There is a lot of meh and then at least once a year we find a gem or two. We invite these students to show their work at my office on a First Friday. Last year we found two sophomore printmaking students who produced what I would have to say might be the best pieces I have ever seen there. Both pieces were large scale in that they were printed on whole sheets (30x22) and the drafting and detail and thought put into both were just exquisite. We bought the pieces and I arraigned through the head of the printmaking department to meet the two kids and discuss having them put together a joint First Friday show in our office. One piece is an odd pastoral scene that obvious references Adam and Eve and the fall from grace and expulsion from the garden. The other is a demon baby that is half human half goat and has obvious references to Catholicism and scientific journals. In meeting them they could not be more opposite, one a very clean kempt blonde woman who is a devout Christian and the other is a former Catholic ( yes we bonded immediately on that) who is now an espoused Satanist with long stringy hair dressed all in black. I say “espoused” because I truly believe this kid had such a negative reaction to his childhood experiences in the Catholic Church that the only way he could rebel enough was to become a Satanist. My guess is that if I see him again in 10 years things could be different.

So I propose to them the idea of a show of their work side by side, they will curate it and write it up for me and they are in charge of a title. I will provide the advertising and venue. They are buzzing, it turns out they are friends and really like each other’s work and appreciate each other’s aesthetic and work ethic. Bottom line is they had discussed wanting to do a show together but weren’t sure they could find a venue for that. The printmaking department head at KCAI is excited, they are excited and I am excited.

Six months later we reconvene at my office and they show me what they done. The show is titled “The War between Heaven and Hell”. Heady title to live up to for a couple of 20 year olds. The centerpiece of the show is the two pieces of their work that my wife and I bought which we have had framed and they have those sit on their own wall side by side. Then they filled in about 40 linear feet of gallery wall with the rest. It is a pretty big show for two students. On the night of the show Solomon walks in looking like Marilyn Manson’s stunt double coming home from a KISS concert and Lauren comes in all powder and gingham in her best Suzie Creamcheese outfit (I know what you are thinking right now Leawood and NO, NO, NO). I am blown away and my admin is beside herself wanting to slap him. I remind her he is 20 and he has some stuff he has to get out of his system and tonight is part of that. All night the two of them interact with the 300-400 people who walk through and give each other furtive high fives in support of their respective performances. He has his people, they are usually a visually obvious type and he talks to them and they love him and by the end of it he has a couple of people who want him to give them tattoos. Half the crowd looks at his work and some shock appears on their face and they move along. She also has a visually identifiable group who congregate around her work and they talk and about her work, she is also very earnest and thoughtful but in a gentler way.

At one point late in the night a group of 6 college age kids walks up to me and asks me to interpret her large piece and I give them a basic biblical reference for the themes but tell them that once she gets done talking to the group she is currently talking to, they should ask her directly and get this in her words. I motion her over and make introductions and she starts to tell her story. About half way through one of the girls starts crying and then one of the boys starts crying and she stops and asks if everything is OK. The girl stammers; yeah, I’m fine, it’s just that your description and the picture are so beautiful, I can’t help crying, I don’t know why, I’m not sad, it’s just so beautiful. So a group hug ensues. The Satanist who has been taking as much pride so far in the horror he has induced with his own work as the admiration it has inspired; is looking in on this and he is smiling and enjoying the moment as well. All in all it was maybe the best show we have ever hosted with regards to artist/patron interaction and conversation.

So we saw something very rare that night along with hundreds of other unsuspecting strangers. Two diametrically opposite religious beliefs and their followers demonstrating an appreciation of each other as human beings and talking about their beliefs in a sincere way with no one claiming primacy or the ultimate “truth” of their beliefs or trying to convert or condemn anyone. They simply showed respect for each other as people and at the end of the evening they all walked away friends. I have to agree with the crying girl, it’s just so beautiful.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

This sounds like “the kind of story we need to hear right now.”

Thanks