More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Post by ousdahl »

As clerical sex abuse scandals buffet the Catholic Church, a three-week assembly of bishops is under way in Rome on how to make the Church relevant for young people. But the assembly, known as a synod, will likely be dominated by what many analysts call Catholicism's worst crisis since the reformation.

Roughly 250 priests, bishops, cardinals and some younger laypersons are participating in the synod.

In the opening mass, pope Francis urged them "to dream and to hope."

And he prayed for God's help to ensure the Church does not let itself "be extinguished or crushed by the prophets of doom and misfortune, by our own shortcomings, mistakes and sins."...

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/08/65515175 ... llegations
ousdahl

Re: More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Post by ousdahl »

On the eve of the synod, a group of Catholic women activists met in Rome to demand decision-making positions in the Church for women...

The women were denouncing gender discrimination — at the synod, laymen have been granted the right to vote but the few laywomen participants cannot.

The peaceful demonstration ended when Italian police — officers in plainclothes and others with bulletproof vests — intervened, manhandling several of the women.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 am As clerical sex abuse scandals buffet the Catholic Church, a three-week assembly of bishops is under way in Rome on how to make the Church relevant for young people. But the assembly, known as a synod, will likely be dominated by what many analysts call Catholicism's worst crisis since the reformation.

Roughly 250 priests, bishops, cardinals and some younger laypersons are participating in the synod.

In the opening mass, pope Francis urged them "to dream and to hope."

And he prayed for God's help to ensure the Church does not let itself "be extinguished or crushed by the prophets of doom and misfortune, by our own shortcomings, mistakes and sins."...

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/08/65515175 ... llegations
I'm not Catholic, but what did you expect them to do? Close up shop and walk away?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Well, what the pope meant was; make the church more relevant to young male people. How can they possibly move that crime organization forward if they have to stop everything and take into account the wants/needs of the 50% of their congregation (women) who have little to no representation/voice now? It's a boys club. Ladies, if you don't like it start your own club.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

japhy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:23 pm Well, what the pope meant was; make the church more relevant to young male people. How can they possibly move that crime organization forward if they have to stop everything and take into account the wants/needs of the 50% of their congregation (women) who have little to no representation/voice now? It's a boys club. Ladies, if you don't like it start your own club.
Where did he limit the relevance to young males? That would be deadly for the Church as a whole. Like all faiths, they need to reach and speak to the needs of both genders and a wide range of ages in order to survive.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes they do.

so how about starting with decision making positions in the church for women?

and while they’re at it, it might be a good look for them to try and weed out the pedophiles too.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:46 pm
japhy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:23 pm Well, what the pope meant was; make the church more relevant to young male people. How can they possibly move that crime organization forward if they have to stop everything and take into account the wants/needs of the 50% of their congregation (women) who have little to no representation/voice now? It's a boys club. Ladies, if you don't like it start your own club.
Where did he limit the relevance to young males? That would be deadly for the Church as a whole. Like all faiths, they need to reach and speak to the needs of both genders and a wide range of ages in order to survive.
250 priests, bishops and cardinals......maybe I missed the part where the pope started ordaining women into the priesthood.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

but, lobs told us that women are treated equally
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:19 pm Yes they do.

so how about starting with decision making positions in the church for women?

and while they’re at it, it might be a good look for them to try and weed out the pedophiles too.
Probably not gonna happen. I've done a lot of consulting work with Catholic organizations in the past, and my experience has been that, while they are not antagonistic toward women, the Catholic Church adheres to the same complementarian philosophy as most conservative evangelical Protestant churches, i.e. God created men and women as equals, but with different jobs to do. I don't see that paradigm shifting for either group anytime soon.

I do think the Catholics are doing a better job of weeding out pedophiles. All candidate for the priesthood now have to go through extensive psychological testing to try to identify potential pedophiles. I have a colleague who does most of his clinical work in this arena who (half-jokingly) says that all the candidates that come through his office are either a) closeted homosexuals, b) narcissists, or c) all of the above.

Seriously, though, there is no standardized test that reliably pinpoints a potential sex offender. Even the MMPI, which is the gold standard in assessment, can only say that high scores on narcissism and low scores on the empathy scales MIGHT be a red flag. By the same token, you can take the CEO of any Fortune 500 company and they will likely score low empathy/high narcissism, too. It's just complicated.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

If you want to know when equality is reached, you should let those those who have held the reigns of power for thousands of years be the arbiters of that. You have "enough" when we say you have enough.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

japhy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:00 pm If you want to know when equality is reached, you should let those those who have held the reigns of power for thousands of years be the arbiters of that. You have "enough" when we say you have enough.
I think most Christians would argue that equality is not the goal, but rather equity.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:36 pm
japhy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:00 pm If you want to know when equality is reached, you should let those those who have held the reigns of power for thousands of years be the arbiters of that. You have "enough" when we say you have enough.
I think most Christians would argue that equality is not the goal, but rather equity.
Man, that sounds familiar.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:36 pm
Man, that sounds familiar.
I would assume that achieving most peoples’ definition of equality would necessitate ignoring the differences between men and women. I could be wrong.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BALTIMORE — The Vatican stymied a plan by America’s Catholic leaders to confront sexual abuse, insisting in a surprise directive on Monday morning that U.S. bishops postpone their efforts to hold bishops more responsible in the abuse cases that have scourged the church....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... bda76ba5e2
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

shameful
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I read this earlier in the week. There has to be more to the story but the Vatican isn't coming forward with any reason for their actions on this.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Sorry - wrong thread because what I posted doesn't have to do with sex abuse scandals.
Just satan.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:53 pm I read this earlier in the week. There has to be more to the story but the Vatican isn't coming forward with any reason for their actions on this.
how hard could it be to just say something like, "if a priest is suspected of molesting kids then report it to the police?"

the longer this endures, the longer it seems like the problem isn't just a few bad apples. It seems there may have only been a few good apples, and as a whole the the church really has been systemically harboring a pedophile ring for lord knows how long.

The problem all along has been Catholicism itself.

At this point, how do they save face and retain what credibility they can in a modern and future world?

(as a born-and-raised Catholic, I almost said, "how do we save face, but at this point I don't wanna be associated with these fuckers.)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

No argument from me. I was born and raised Catholic as well. Went to Catholic schools through high school.

They need to address why they decided to hold up the vote and make a strong statement.

I'm wondering how far back this goes, if it's just always been a part of the church, when did it start? I have a hard time believing it was the 50's or whenever.
Defense. Rebounds.