The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:28 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:57 pm soo corporate conferences LOL
Industry or just your company?
wait, you mean like an industry-specific conference, or the conference industry in general?

regarding industry-specific, this fly fishing guide conference was awesome and had a ton of merit as a networking event.

regarding my company, I still can't believe they did it for me. While they treat me as a cost to keep low about damn near everything else, they just dropped several grand on me and Elaine to go, uh, network.

(and by network, I mean drink craft beer at an open bar, not that I think that takes anything away from anything...if anything, it helped to foster the networking)

regarding the industry in general, as a whole it strikes me more so as such an indulgence that you'd think would be the first to be cut from any business actually paying attention to cash flows. (ETA, and apparently the conference industry as a whole is booming...)

We host hundreds of these sorts of things at our ranch every year, and it's incredible how businesses will just throw money indiscriminately at their employees/clients/guests.

If it's a legit conference, at which legit networking and contacts and leads can be fostered, and legit substantive meetings and breakout sessions and such go down, that's one thing. But perhaps the more common event is not the conference, but the "retreat," which is basically a bunch of coworkers who already know each other collectively getting spoiled.

"ohh it's hundreds of dollars for a fishing trip, and I'll be charged if I no-show? well sign me up in case I feel like doing it, even though I'll probably end up just spending the afternoon at the bar. Who cares about the cancellation fee, it's going on the company card either way."

then there's the inherent ironies of the conferences - in one breakout session about environmental impact, the attendees who collectively were expected to travel tens of thousands of miles and burned how many gallons of fossil fuels all get lectured about how we all need to reduce our carbon footprint.

shrug.

not that I'm not grateful to have done it!
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Heading back to Connecticut for another two weeks. Wanting to head north for a weekend. Any advice on Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont trips?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

kubandalum wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 am Have to go to San Francisco in in a couple of weeks on business, where residents can get fined over $300 for not cleaning up their dog’s poop, but where people are allowed to take a dump on the sidewalks. It’s also where plastic straws are outlawed, but where people leaving plastic hypodermic needles laying around on the ground is ok. Ugh!
Sure, whatever fits your narrative. No one is allowed to defecate in public or leave hypodermic needles around. Some still do, but that’s not the norm. This is like saying all Presidents are sexual assaulters and money-launderers. Dangers of holding a broad brush!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 am Heading back to Connecticut for another two weeks. Wanting to head north for a weekend. Any advice on Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont trips?
Uh, yup.
You can do both Maine and NH in one weekend if you time it.
Don't have time to type reccos out right now but I will get back to you on this.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

They have an app in San Fran that tracks and tells people locations of human feces on the sidewalk. Sounds normal. There is a city task force dedicated to picking up used needles. Normal. Nothing to see here.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 am Heading back to Connecticut for another two weeks. Wanting to head north for a weekend. Any advice on Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont trips?
Burlington's a funky town.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Welp, grandma kicked.

I’d put it in the random thread, except she was getting pretty old.

Anywho, last minute trip to the rust belt, oh boy.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm sorry ousdahl.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:05 am I'm sorry ousdahl.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

defixione wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:45 am
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

My sympathies, ousey.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks you guys.

(Is that what you’re supposed to say when someone says they’re sorry? That’s always so awkward either way)

I might type out a more thoughtful post while waiting at the airport in the morning, but for now, let’s discuss suits.

The only time I’ve ever worn one is either for a funeral, a wedding, a job interview, or as a blues brother with beaverfever for Halloween.

I was gonna make you guys guess which ones of those suit wearing events end up with me getting gushered, but let’s be real, it’s all of them LOL

which brings me to my point: boy do I need to go to the dry cleaner!
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I hope grandma kicked some butt during her stay on earth.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I hope you wear the Blues Brother suit. I think your grandma might have gotten a kick outta that.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

only if it says ousdahl (or granny, gma, etc.)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So I get to my aisle seat on the plane and sit down.

A few minutes later, the guy with the window seat shows. I get up so he can sit down.

Before I get a chance to get out of the aisle and back into my seat, the next lady steps over my leg in some apparently hurried attempt to get to her seat.

She trips on my leg.

So who’s to blame?
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Hard to say. Does she have a nice rack?