The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
Soklous

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Soklous »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:02 am could we please discuss the pros and cons of checking an extra airline bag vs. shipping the stuff to where you're going?

Sounded great. Until the politics board shut down the federal inspectors. Now you are delayed until that place gets its act together.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 am no way Finkle I mean Einhorn!

I just have a week's worth of fishing gear I gotta get to Olympic National Park and back.
that’s a lot of flies
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Flies, rods, reels, waders, boots, day pack, and several layers of extra warm/dry stuff that I would not normally travel with if I wasn’t going to hang out in a rainforest in February for a week.
Deleted User 89

i’d imagine that to ship that stuff, either overnight or 2nd or 3rd day, would be cheaper (though not by much) than the ~$150 extra bag fee.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The wise move would be for all of us to speculate on the costs rather than ousdahl actually looking into it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Sold!
I am, I said.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I can’t imagine this is a good forum to get reliable info on this, but you already knew that. My concern would be with your packing abilities, luggage getting to a destination WITH the passenger, and possible damage by either transport method. It would suck to be there and not have you equipment. What do the fishing forums say?

I flew with something over the holidays that was to be a Christmas present. I weighed doing my own boxing and paying $35 to my fave airline for an extra checked bag vs mailing. First, a box of proper proportions was tricky to find. UPS store wanted $60 to box, pack, and ship (and this item is super light). Ultimately, I decided on 3rd option of gate check my item. Airline gave it a white ticket rather than a pink (a mistake on their part and exactly what I told them not to do). Something got broke on it. Airline reimbursed me for a brand new one (no questions asked; ~$200) after I submitted the Amazon receipt of my replacement. Amazon Prime had also delivered a day late so they gave me a $20 credit. Fortunately, not having the item for about 4 Days was not a problem for me.

One more thing, for the sake of conversation, have you considered renting equipment at your destination or getting one of your future sponsors to ship you some new toys to try out??? I’m being serious here.

Side story: Many moons ago, I road tripped around CO, ID, and WY with mountain bikes on my car. That was really dumb as kickass rentals were available everywhere, I assume they would have been fun to try out, and I know I would been less concerned about theft and damage transporting my own bikes long distances.

Finally, having actually considered your question, you better tell me what the experts say.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Which is more likely, that your shit gets damaged by the airport baggage handlers or by a postal employee?

Should you go USPS, UPS, FEDEX, DHL? Is there a way to have an uber driver deliver it and meet him there?

If you ship it, what kind of box are we talking about vs. the type of luggage you'd use if you go the airport route?

Bigger issue, how you gonna get that shit back home? I mean assuming this is a round trip we should probably argue everything twice, once for the outgoing trip and once for the return.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

no return trip necessary

https://goo.gl/images/1fnmdN
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ahhhhh!

just put down the deposit on a guided steelhead trip.

shit's getting real!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Had to cancel my Lexington travel this weekend. Bummer.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

bummer
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yep. But a really bad work travel week (and a newborn) made this an impossible fun-travel weekend.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so what’s the craziest carry on luggage you’ve traveled with or sawed?
KU1214

Post by KU1214 »

In response to Ousedahl...
I once carried a cushioned toilet seat to Malta (not for me but a request for someone I was visiting there).

I also carried 50 lbs of beef for my dad. It was a particular meat he wanted that I was able to get from an Argentinian restaurant in NYC that he couldn't get in Sacramento where he lived at the time.

Both of those were pre 9/11, so TSA wasn't as restrictive.

Not crazy, but my important scuba gear, that I always pack in my carry on rather than my checked bag always gets pulled for inspection by TSA.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I flew into San Juan, PR pre-9 11. Most of the "luggage" in the baggage claim was taped up cardboard boxes.
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

3 lb container of Welch's grape jelly. My grandfather loved this, and it was not available where he lived (overseas). I got a wholesale container and it was in my checked luggage. However, the airline said it was overweight (70 lb/bag allowed; mine was 74 lb). Took it out, and tried to give it to the check-in dude and he said he couldn't accept it. I stuffed it in my carry-on, wore one sweater and stuffed a few items in my camera bag to make room, and gave my grandfather the grape jelly. Of course, this was 1991!
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

My story above was about traveling with a Kelty baby backpack. The weird part of that was that I was not traveling with a baby.

I am most proud of transporting two fresh buko pies from Los Banos, Philippines to KCI. That sounds boring, but you can’t get buko pie (a custard pie made with young coconut) in Kansas and they are so so delicious.

99, I think packing with boxes is common on international trips where people are bringing a lot of gifts. Like overseas workers and overseas families. Airlines allow a maximum of 65 linear inches and a cube is the most efficient way to maximize the volume. Suitcases, as you know, don’t come in cubes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:21 am so what’s the craziest carry on luggage you’ve traveled with or sawed?
Several dozen dove breasts that had been shot that morning.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

good answers.

I have (post-9/11) carried on a fly rod several times without anyone saying anything more than "how's the fishin?"

The rod breaks down in to four pieces and fits in a storage/travel tube, about 2.5 feet long. Of course, this is a single hand rod.

This trip, I'm also bringing a Spey rod, which is a longer fancier two-handed fly rod, and the preferred tool for steelhead fishing in the PNW. It still breaks down into a tube, but a little longer yet.

Hoping no one at either TSA or the airline raises a fuss.