Apps wishlist

Coffee talk.
kubandalum

Apps wishlist

Post by kubandalum »

Are there any apps for phones and tablets that you wish you had but can’t find?

For me there are two that I used to have that no longer exist. One is an offline world atlas, just maps, no GPS, no need for WiFi connection, no navigation. Just maps. Used to have a good one from National Geographic on my laptop a couple of decades ago. Nothing like it now.

The other is GPS Info, an iPhone app that simply read out longitude and latitude (to 5 decimal points), elevation, and speed, updating every few seconds. Hasn’t worked since about iOS 7 or so. No updates available.

Edited to add: I have found a couple of atlas apps, but they really suck. Early elementary school level.
Last edited by kubandalum on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 89

Re: Apps wishlist

Post by Deleted User 89 »

those sound like awesome apps
colbond

Post by colbond »

Check out spyglass if you want GPS info. Google maps also has the ability to cache maps with or without satellite info so you don't need a data connection (cache it while on wifi and it'll work with no cell coverage).

Spyglass: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spyglas ... 39548?mt=8
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

I see one of the reviews on Spyglass mentioned “learning curve.” GPS Info had no learning curve. Just info in text form. Nothing more. Quite nice.

For a number of purposes Google maps sucks. I certainly don’t know ahead of time everything I might want to look up on a map to satisfy curiosity about something. Maps aren’t only for navigation.

Anyone else have apps they’d like to see?
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I use OnX Hunt for gps. Its pretty dang good.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Not an app, per se, but one thing I miss since switching to Apple is losing IR transmitter capability (remote control). That functionality was IMMENSELY handy at bars.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ve been wondering if/when we get a market for retro apps.

OG Facebook Instagram interfaces back before they started sucking.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It is Christmas 2028. The hottest gadget on the (digital) shelf is an iPad Classic. For just 18,000 rubles, you can buy a vintage (2013-era) iPad, pre-loaded with "original" versions of all your favorite apps (some upscaled to work with the chip in your neck and screen in your retinas that came with Amazon Prime Plus).
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I want an App that can read articles and books to me in my own voice. Would be great for all of my drive time
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

How about you could pick a celebrity voice? Honestly, it shouldn't be that far-fetched for some AI program to be fed the audio of all of someone's work, and come up with a simulation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

H. Jon Benjamin.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 pm How about you could pick a celebrity voice? Honestly, it shouldn't be that far-fetched for some AI program to be fed the audio of all of someone's work, and come up with a simulation.
Get ready for the IP suit.