Used car buying

Coffee talk.
chiknbut

Re: Used car buying

Post by chiknbut »

I thought I saw him on here before. Wouldn't mind picking his brain.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I bought my fifth vehicle from Car Max. I like the simple process. Shop. Reserve. Buy.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:33 pm I bought my fifth vehicle from Car Max. I like the simple process. Shop. Reserve. Buy.
Honestly, Car Max nets too much for their cars.
But yes, they get it through the process and making it easier.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We looked at Carmax the last time we were looking to buy. Way more expensive than any other lot we looked at. Not sure if that's the case everywhere.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 62

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:41 pm We looked at Carmax the last time we were looking to buy. Way more expensive than any other lot we looked at. Not sure if that's the case everywhere.
It is.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Trading time for money.
If you find what you want and can afford it, so what?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Geezer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 pm Trading time for money.
that
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 62

True. They make the process easier, particularly for people who are uncomfortable negotiating.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Geezer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 pm Trading time for money.
This and That.

Spent one hour with a car salesman and had enough. When he asked me if my recent accident "was my fault," I wanted to tell him to fuck off. But my 13-year-old daughter was with me.

So I went to CarMax. Slightly more than I wanted to pay, but no bullshit and at the very least they doll the car up before you drive it off the lot. You don't have to beg for floor mats or to have the windshield wiper fluid topped off.

Ended up with the Equinox, 2017, 8k miles - $17,900. Felt good about myself. Sort of.
Deleted User 62

Congrats.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Thats not a terrible price
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sounds like a good deal to me chikn.

Mrs 99 went off on a used car salesman a few years ago. She kept asking how much for this one. He kept saying well, we have to talk to the sales manager blah blah blah, it really depends blah blah blah. After about 5 rounds of this she lit him up and asked if he was trying to sell the car or piss her off. Still no price.
Defense. Rebounds.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

After reading about Mrs 99 and the car dealer, I got aroused for some reason.
Deleted User 62

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 am Sounds like a good deal to me chikn.

Mrs 99 went off on a used car salesman a few years ago. She kept asking how much for this one. He kept saying well, we have to talk to the sales manager blah blah blah, it really depends blah blah blah. After about 5 rounds of this she lit him up and asked if he was trying to sell the car or piss her off. Still no price.
After the first mention of a sales manager, I always ask "if you cannot provide a price for the goods you are selling, why am I talking to you about my purchase?"

I then tell them to get this manager, let's all sit down at the closing table.
You both have 15 minutes of my time before I am moving on.
Hydrohawk

Post by Hydrohawk »

Sorry I am late to the party on this one. I'm happy to answer any questions I can help with here or feel free to pm me.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

My car gets totaled in an accident, the other driver gets ticketed, her insurance immediately takes responsibility, and all I get is “cash value.” That sucks big time. I can’t replace my car with only cash value. Why this injustice where I get rear ended at a stoplight, but I’m now out thousands of dollars short of being able to replace with a like car (model, year, mileage)? I didn’t do anything wrong!!
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

That's why I purchased a GAP policy/warranty (whatever it's called) when I purchased a new vehicle earlier this year... Accidents suck. Cars depreciate in value so fast that it seems you never can replace what you have with something equal when an accident that severe happens.

Sorry that's happened to you. :-(

Hopefully it all works itself out in the end.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Hydrohawk wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:38 pm Sorry I am late to the party on this one. I'm happy to answer any questions I can help with here or feel free to pm me.
Hydro, I’ll be in KS next week. Where are you? I’m looking for a Honda Element, EX, AWD or 4WD, automatic, not a rust bucket.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

And my scenario, it is not depreciation. The reason I can’t replace with only cash value is because every single seller in the world (rightly) wants to make at least a little profit on top of “cash value.”
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Having been on both sides of insurance litigation, I advise everyone to up their UM/UIM coverage to at least half a mil. Yeah, getting cash value for a car stinks, but consider yourself pretty lucky that you're not hurt with $300,000 in medical bills.

Also, GAP is a waste of money. If you actually need GAP, then you completely fucked up the financing on the car to begin with.