Headlamps

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Headlamps

Post by ousdahl »

Shot in the dark, I know, but can anyone recommend a good headlamp?
Deleted User 89

Re: Headlamps

Post by Deleted User 89 »

depends what you’re looking for and how much you wanna spend

i’m kinda cheap and have good eyes, so i tend not to spend too much, but i’ve used niterider lamps belonging to friends, and they’re intense

https://www.niterider.com/niterider-out ... -the-wild/

i usually prefer the lamps that run on aaa’s, rather than rechargeable packs, but that’s mainly because my field work often didn’t provide for recharging

petzl has always made a pretty good lamp...affordable too
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

If you are updating a bulb type headlight, Sylvania SuperBrights are very hard to beat.

As an off roader, I swear by them.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Point of clarification. For a car, or camping / spelunking?

Or a pair of knockers.
Last edited by Soklous on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, I said.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Hoped thread title was euphamism for tittays.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:58 pm Hoped thread title was euphamism for tittays.
yeah.

big letdown...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
colbond

Post by colbond »

Fenix and Nitecore are my goto for flashlights. Biggest feature I can recommend is having a red LED so you don't blow out your night vision when you use it. Fenix HL60R is pretty unbeatable.
Deleted User 62

Night vision...WTF?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but yeah, I'm looking for a new headlamp - the kind of headlamp that's basically a flashlight you strap on your noggin, like this one:

I've been doing a lot of nighttime nordic skiing, and have a headlamp that works well enough. $15 Energizer brand. But it could be brighter, the adjustable angle feature could be more solid, and it doesn't seem to stay bright for long on a fresh pair of batteries.

I'd like something that's BRIGHT. Like, light up the entire trail for myself and beaverfever I mean all these ski bunnies who accompany me. Bonus points for user friendliness, long battery life, water/weather resistant, red light feature, etc.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

also, I was gonna put this in the outdoors thread, but what are the odds I get fucked up by an animal while out skiing trails in the dark?
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 am but yeah, I'm looking for a new headlamp - the kind of headlamp that's basically a flashlight you strap on your noggin, like this one:

I've been doing a lot of nighttime nordic skiing, and have a headlamp that works well enough. $15 Energizer brand. But it could be brighter, the adjustable angle feature could be more solid, and it doesn't seem to stay bright for long on a fresh pair of batteries.

I'd like something that's BRIGHT. Like, light up the entire trail for myself and beaverfever I mean all these ski bunnies who accompany me. Bonus points for user friendliness, long battery life, water/weather resistant, red light feature, etc.
wife has a black diamond model we got at rei...it’s been good
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have a cheapo version of that I use for overnight barbecuing. Works pretty well. No animal attacks as of yet.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

just don’t wear that strap too tight.

y’all seen what happened to chalkrocker!
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I have Black Diamond as well.

As far as I’m concerned, you need to look at the big stream of brightness that you want to project first. Is it bright enough on a trail or campsight you need to light up. But then, does it have a pilot light setting that you will mostly use without lightning up the night? Low level for tying your shoe or lure. Finding the zipper on your tent. Not blowing out your night vision that for some reason got questioned above.

Also, do you want a focused circle of light, or a wide array of LEDs that spread the light out further.
I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Here is my trusted sight for quality and expertise. May be cheaper on Amazon, but also get lost there in questionable units.

https://www.backcountry.com/Store/catal ... =Headlamps
I am, I said.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... ng&start=5

I use an older version of this. It is designed for search and rescue use, the high beam comes in handy when you hear noise out in the brush while camping and want to know what the fuck is going on out there. The led light lasts longer and you can use that for something silly like trying to tie a fly onto a tippet in the dark. The battery lasts for hours. I use it at work going through dangerous buildings with no lights and boarded up windows. I can't afford to have it crap out while I am in there by my lonesome. They aren't cheap but my first one lasted about 10 years and I am going on 5 or so with the current lamp.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 62

Yeah, as if smell isn't enough for an apex predator, make sure that you glow in the dark too.

Reminds me of dumbasses that strap a flashlight to their gun. Makes it pretty easy to figure out where the target is.
Deleted User 89

Soklous wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:09 am I have Black Diamond as well.

As far as I’m concerned, you need to look at the big stream of brightness that you want to project first. Is it bright enough on a trail or campsight you need to light up. But then, does it have a pilot light setting that you will mostly use without lightning up the night? Low level for tying your shoe or lure. Finding the zipper on your tent. Not blowing out your night vision that for some reason got questioned above.

Also, do you want a focused circle of light, or a wide array of LEDs that spread the light out further.
exactly

i go for multi-purpose...swiveling head, multiple brightnesses, red light option, and stream-focusable
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thank you everyone for shedding some light on this topic for me.