Kansas City thread

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Kansas City thread

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:54 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 am interesting...is there really that much demand for an entertainment district in Independence?

How many events are there at Arrowhead every year...8 regular season games, couple preseasons, maybe a playoff game or two, maybe a concert...12-15 events a year?
It will be the usual "if you build it, they will come" sales pitch. With a side of "if you don't build it, the Chiefs might just leave" messaging.
Move to Kansas Speedway: NFL crowds are laughably outdrawing nascar crowds these days.
I certainly agree that, all things considered, Legends might make the most sense (and comes with the benefit of the beginnings of an entertainment/lodging infrastructure).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, how's the speedway area doing? How many events does that host? isn't that where the SKC stadium is too? How many events are there? Isn't that area and Arrowhead similar in that they're both the main draws in an area with otherwise not much going on?

Either way I do miss me some Cabelas bargain cave.

is there more to tailgating than having a big parking lot to do it?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:03 am yeah, how's the speedway area doing? Generally, pretty well. Going to be a messy Schlitterbahn exit problem in the near future. How many events does that host? Not that many, per se, but there are pretty consistent crowds at restaurants and stores. isn't that where the SKC stadium is too? Yes. How many events are there? 20/year, give or take? Isn't that area and Arrowhead similar in that they're both the main draws in an area with otherwise not much going on? No, as mentioned, people go to Legends without there being an EVENT going on.

Either way I do miss me some Cabelas bargain cave.

is there more to tailgating than having a big parking lot to do it? Not really, no, although a feeling of general lawlessness helps.
So many questions!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Funny some friends and I talked about the Royals moving their stadium closer to or all the way in downtown. If the Royals were smart they would follow whatever direction the Rockies did with Coors Field. LoDo exploded around that ballpark and in turn birthed RiNo and other surrounding areas.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

just look what SoDoSoPa did to the value of Kenny's house!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:40 am Funny some friends and I talked about the Royals moving their stadium closer to or all the way in downtown. If the Royals were smart they would follow whatever direction the Rockies did with Coors Field. LoDo exploded around that ballpark and in turn birthed RiNo and other surrounding areas.
Baseball is the only sport where the arguments for spending public money begin to make sense. It's 81 events/year, not counting postseason or concerts etc. That's very significant.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes, but not in Independence.

I'm much more likely to consider a yes vote on downtown baseball assistance, especially if it's cleaning up an unused, non tax revenue generating piece of land.

But, the Royals asking for public help would be a bad way to start off if we want to make downtown baseball a reality. Plus, the damn streetcar tax district is seemingly lasting forever.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:17 pm Yes, but not in Independence.

I'm much more likely to consider a yes vote on downtown baseball assistance, especially if it's cleaning up an unused, non tax revenue generating piece of land.

But, the Royals asking for public help would be a bad way to start off if we want to make downtown baseball a reality. Plus, the damn streetcar tax district is seemingly lasting forever.
Sorry - I should have said that downtown baseball is the one thing, etc.
shindig

Post by shindig »

It is so lame to have the Super bowl draft at Union Station. Did KCer's not see Nashville? Put the freaking thing downtown...close off Grand for 6-8 blocks, put an artificial football field on Grand Blvd, line the whole thing with food and beer vendors, plus you have PnL bars and restaurants right there! What is fun about Union Station for fvck's sake. KC can't even put on a party without being lame.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Union Station is going to provide a much better TV view than Grand Street.

I don't know that artificial turf on the street with food tents is less lame than Union Station, but there will absolutely be entertainment/food/beer vendors set up all over from River Market to Union Station.
shindig

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 pm Union Station is going to provide a much better TV view than Grand Street.

I don't know that artificial turf on the street with food tents is less lame than Union Station, but there will absolutely be entertainment/food/beer vendors set up all over from River Market to Union Station.
I just think the fact that all the KC movers and shakers always think Union Station or Liberty Memorial have to be the backdrop of every KC event. PnL makes more sense, along Grand. Plus closer to hotels.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There aren't a lot of options here for TV viewing. There are like 3 good views of Kansas City.

PnL would be an unbelievably vapid setting.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The funny thing about this is that only Midwesterners would think Union Station isn't close to PnL.
shindig

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:51 pm There aren't a lot of options here for TV viewing. There are like 3 good views of Kansas City.

PnL would be an unbelievably vapid setting.
I guess, but for whatever reason, people here seem to have an inferiority complex, always worried about how we "look" on TV or something. Honestly, it should be about the people that travel to KC and rent rooms, buy food/booze, or whatever. Nashville's looked cool and it was downtown and looked like people were having a blast. What if it rains the whole time? Then it's going to look lame if it is at Union Station because nobody will be there.
shindig

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:56 pm The funny thing about this is that only Midwesterners would think Union Station isn't close to PnL.
It's not if it pouring down rain.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Leave PnL for the World Cup, Tourney, watch parties, etc. I like the idea of Union Station. This will become a three day infomercial for the city. Plus, lets hope it keeps the airport terminal on track. If that doesn't get done and you have a bunch of visitors flying into that cess pool it will not be a good look.

I would be interested in the public opinion on an increase (nothing drastic but an increase on taxes) if the Royals were to build a stadium downtown along with a developed area around it. I would think that most would be for it...?
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Rain won't be an issue as it's going to be covered. Even if it was an issue, it rains at 13th and Grand, too.

Union Station really is a perfect setup for a stage.

shindig

Post by shindig »

Well I'm not going to get worked up over it...lol. I really don't care. But downtown will have several more towers to show off by 2023, most likely 3 and 4 light, plus Strata (the HnR block). Potentially several more in the works I've heard (possibly a W Hotel with Cordish).
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Maybe Famous Dave's can set up a couple of food trucks.
Defense. Rebounds.