Kansas City thread

Coffee talk.
shindig

Kansas City thread

Post by shindig »

Just a general topic thread of things going on in KC...

Thought this article was interesting....discussions still going on about a downtown ballpark for the Royals...current price tag is $800M.

https://cityscenekc.com/city-manager-pr ... -now-800m/
Last edited by shindig on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Kansas City thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ya, I almost posted that in the baseball thread. The key quote I took away was this one:

“The key issue is at some point, the Royals are going to have to commit,” Schulte said. “At this point, they’re just asking for information.”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Build the baseball stadium downtown.
Keep Arrowhead where it is.
Use the torn up ball park space for either a hotel ( if you wanna go high end ) or an RV park ( your core Chiefs customers ).
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Agree, whatever they renamed the Adams Mark to is a dump. Or at least it was the last time I was there.

Downtown have enough parking for a baseball stadium?
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it'd be cool if they built it in the West Bottoms ( on the border of Kansas and MIZZOU ).
Tear it all down, keep the Beast and the Edge of Hell.
Extend light rail.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Have the Royals hit from Kansas into MIZZOU.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Yep I agree, keep Arrowhead where it is, put another $200-$300m into it over the next 10 years and build the ballpark downtown. Football stadiums are dead zones most days of the week and are too large to be downtown.

The north loop area has long been discussed as a location. Close to streetcar and PnL area. Plenty of parking garages, might have to build one really big one on an empty lot. East of downtown in the east crossroads is another potential location.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NFL Draft 2023 at Union Station.

Great for the metro, but if my work and living situation is the same as it is today, I honestly believe I'll have to take off a few days of work.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It is so very Kansas City to get excited about being awarded the lifetime consolation prize.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well that's certainly true.

In this scenario, though, the grand prize not being awarded to KC has almost everything to do with the Chiefs/Royals not figuring out the stadium situation rather than the city's shortcomings.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Well, for my part (and of course I'm not a Jackson County resident) - while it would be cool to have a Super Bowl, I wouldn't want to be done what would have to be done to make that happen (namely, a new domed/retractable-roofed stadium).

For one, I strongly suspect it would be built, directly or indirectly, with public money. That's dumb. For another, I wouldn't want to lose what is, for all its flaws, a very very great gameday experience and atmosphere.

Baseball can, should and will end up downtown or close by. Football should stay exactly where, and mostly as, it is.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IMO, a roof isn't nearly as big of a problem as the inability to make a super bowl party town surrounding Arrowhead. There's a slow influx of SB's into cold weather venues.

The party town will become possible when Kauffman is likely moved downtown. Some touchups on arrowhead and then an inevitable Cordish monstrosity next to it, and KC has a bid again.

And, of course, no public funds to the stadium! My view on that is true whether it's Jackson, Clay, Platte or Johnson.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

They're aren't a lot of hotels in that neck o the woods. Adam's Mark or whatever it is now is the only relatively big one. It was kinda dumpy the last time I was there, granted it's been a while.

You saying tear down the K and put up an entertainment district that will have to compete with the race track area and P&L?
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes, I firmly believe that’s the direction the chiefs will want to go when Kauffman is out of there.

Hotels will be sorely needed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:39 am Yes, I firmly believe that’s the direction the chiefs will want to go when Kauffman is out of there.

Hotels will be sorely needed.
You left out the part where they'll make eyes with KCK so that Jackson County will go full-service.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

interesting...is there really that much demand for an entertainment district in Independence?

How many events are there at Arrowhead every year...8 regular season games, couple preseasons, maybe a playoff game or two, maybe a concert...12-15 events a year?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 am interesting...is there really that much demand for an entertainment district in Independence?
If it keeps Indep's residents out of downtown, I'm all for it! ;)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 am interesting...is there really that much demand for an entertainment district in Independence?

How many events are there at Arrowhead every year...8 regular season games, couple preseasons, maybe a playoff game or two, maybe a concert...12-15 events a year?
It will be the usual "if you build it, they will come" sales pitch. With a side of "if you don't build it, the Chiefs might just leave" messaging.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ballpark Village is a ghost town when the Cards don't have a home game. And they play a lot more games than the Chiefs do, so I see ousdahl's point.

However, with the extra real estate, they can even make a seasonal or pop-up district. They're going to want something and absolutely crucial to a renewed SB bid.

The area does not make a lot of sense outside of being good for tailgating. Which is to say, the direction that development is going: it does not make a lot of sense in its current condition, especially if public funds are being used.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 am

It will be the usual "if you build it, they will come" sales pitch. With a side of "if you don't build it, the Chiefs might just leave" messaging.
Move to Kansas Speedway: NFL crowds are laughably outdrawing nascar crowds these days.