Vaccinations

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 75

Re: Vaccinations

Post by Deleted User 75 »

What religions don't allow vaccinations?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As with all things, there is a line, that's why we have the courts, and specific cases.
If it were up to me, and I was the court, i'd lean to protect religion more than I gather most on this board would.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Well some would protect religions, just not Christianity.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:39 am I don't have an issue with each state deciding that children need to be vaccinated to attend school.
I would have an issue with forced vaccinations at child birth.
Or forced vaccinations to collect a wage.
Mrs 99 is a nurse and is required to get the flu vaccine every year. TB as well.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:29 am I think it's unwise not to vaccinate but I also believe in the freedom of religion.
If it's for religious reasons, it is, and should be protected under the 1st.
even when it directly threatens the health and well-being of others?

i'm all for letting people choose to not get their own medical treatment/surgery on religious grounds. but, that only effects them. this is a public safety issue, and like i said earlier, if they choose to put others' kids at risk because of their ignorance, then they should be held accountable should those other kids be harmed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I mean an overarching mandate, state/nation wide, not per circumstance ( i.e. a hospital, where it makes sense ).
Deleted User 89

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:14 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:39 am I don't have an issue with each state deciding that children need to be vaccinated to attend school.
I would have an issue with forced vaccinations at child birth.
Or forced vaccinations to collect a wage.
Mrs 99 is a nurse and is required to get the flu vaccine every year. TB as well.
similar argument to the one i'm making. she is interacting with others on a regular basis, and there is a responsibility to do due diligence to prevent unnecessary transmission and harm others.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:29 am I think it's unwise not to vaccinate but I also believe in the freedom of religion.
If it's for religious reasons, it is, and should be protected under the 1st.
even when it directly threatens the health and well-being of others?

i'm all for letting people choose to not get their own medical treatment/surgery on religious grounds. but, that only effects them. this is a public safety issue, and like i said earlier, if they choose to put others' kids at risk because of their ignorance, then they should be held accountable should those other kids be harmed.

Some people don't believe that.
And some believe, and there is some truth to it, that vaccinations can be dangerous ( rarely ).
Like I said, I don't think it should be mandatory in general, and let the states decide on public schools.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

i.e. if I'm going to be a plumber, I shouldn't be forced to have my vaccinations to be able to work.
Deleted User 89

belief has nothing to do with the reality of the situation

#alternativefacts
Deleted User 89

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 pm i.e. if I'm going to be a plumber, I shouldn't be forced to have my vaccinations to be able to work.
ok

but, how would you react if your kid got the measles from a classmate whose parents chose to not vaccinate their kid?

what if your kid died because of it?

should there not be a level of accountability?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"...and let the states decide on public schools."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Understand that I have had vaccinations, would have zero thought into having my children if I had them to have their vaccinations and think it is wise for everyone to do so.

I just wouldn't want it to be forced upon families if they opposed.
If their state decides to make it a mandate that children need vaccinations then they have the right to home school.
Deleted User 89

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:25 pm Understand that I have had vaccinations, would have zero thought into having my children if I had them to have their vaccinations and think it is wise for everyone to do so.

I just wouldn't want it to be forced upon families if they opposed.
If their state decides to make it a mandate that children need vaccinations then they have the right to home school.
and i generally agree...except, if those parents are going to CHOOSE to have their kids in school with other kids, or participating in activities where there is a risk of transmission to other kids

imo, it's no different than being forced to get vaccinated against yellow fever before you're allowed entry into some foreign countries. the difference here is that because there isn't a standard rule/law, kids are potentially being put in harms way with nothing they (or their parents) can do about it...other than choose to move, change schools, etc. should everyone else be compelled to alter their lives because of tin-foil hat decision by a relative minority of parents?

in this case, it would seem that the well-being of the general public would/should supersede the "feelings" of the few. and like i alluded to, nobody is forcing anti-vaccer parents to send their kids to public school, or have their kids participate in activities with other kids
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"...and let the states decide on public schools."
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:02 pm What religions don't allow vaccinations?
https://www.vumc.org/health-wellness/ne ... d-religion
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:01 pm "...and let the states decide on public schools."
Measles is no different in California than it is in Kansas.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Of course not.
But the people who live there and their beliefs are.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Identical threat to public health.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I don’t understand why we have chickenpox vaccinations now. Do people really die of chicken pox? I remember going to a chicken pox party as a kid. No big deal.
Now kids are getting shingles. Even kids who had the chickenpox are getting shingles. Our pediatrician said it’s because there’s not enough chicken pox virus going around to keep up our immunity.
Is there a logical explanation for why we are required to have chickenpox vaccinations now?