Vaccinations

Coffee talk.
Leawood

Re: Vaccinations

Post by Leawood »

Parents used to do that when I was growing up.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I remember the chickenpox party I went to as a kindergartner because that was where I was also exposed to the game “doctor.”
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

I can only wish that all of those “parents” get a serious case of shingles as they get older, because that’s going to happen to a lot of their kids. I had chickenpox almost 40 years before there was a vaccine for it.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

“Though most children... go on to recover after a week or so of misery, chickenpox can cause severe complications and even death in some. Complications include... pneumonia, brain inflammation, hemorrhaging...”
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/03 ... ing-to-do/

Parents’ logic: “Let’s light a match and see if there’s any gas in that can. There might not be.”
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

So, CDC says there are ~10,500 deaths annually in the US caused by car crashes involving alcohol.

CDC says that before the chickenpox vaccine, there were 105 chickenpox deaths in the US.

Why don’t we have breathalyzers to start cars? Why do we even allow people to drive cars (40k deaths per year)?

Fear sells
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

DrPepper wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:38 pm So, CDC says there are ~10,500 deaths annually in the US caused by car crashes involving alcohol.

CDC says that before the chickenpox vaccine, there were 105 chickenpox deaths in the US.

Why don’t we have breathalyzers to start cars? Why do we even allow people to drive cars (40k deaths per year)?

Fear sells
Let’s put the kids in the car without seatbelts, and then crash the car. Most likely their injuries will get better in a few days or a week at most. It’ll teach them how bad car wrecks can be.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

DrPepper wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:42 pm I remember the chickenpox party I went to as a kindergartner because that was where I was also exposed to the game “doctor.”
If you haven’t reached age 50 yet, get vaccinated for shingles when you do. Please do. Shingles is no joke. It can be torture. Half of people who reach age 85 have had at least one attack of it.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Leawood wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:09 am Parents used to do that when I was growing up.
It made sense before there was a vaccination, because chickenpox is more likely to be serious if you don't contract it until your late teens, or after. Now, this makes no sense, and, as bandalum has said, is tantamount to child abuse.

If only it were a surprise that Gov. Bevin would do something so ignorant.

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Wait. This is the politics bored now?

Good times.

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Good lord.

https://www.sciencealert.com/robert-f-k ... ccinations

"What are we doing to our children?" he tweeted last week.

"@CBSNews reports sharp unexplained rises in #depression + #anxiety in American teens. Shouldn't we ask whether these trends are associated with the neurotoxic aluminum we are giving young teens in Gardasil #vaccine?"
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Crap, how long before my titanium hip turns on me?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The juniorest Fish had her four-month shots today.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:14 am The juniorest Fish had her four-month shots today.
#goodparent(s)
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Feral wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:22 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:14 am The juniorest Fish had her four-month shots today.
#goodparent(s)
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Trying to stop a measles outbreak from spreading, health officials announced Thursday that more than 200 students and staff members at UCLA and Cal State L.A. who have been exposed to measles are being asked to stay home.

The five people diagnosed with measles so far in L.A. County this year include a UCLA student and a Cal State L.A. student. Concerned about the quick spread of disease on busy college campuses, health officials have ordered that students and staff exposed to measles who cannot show they have been vaccinated be quarantined until further notice...
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

FYI: Measles is a highly contagious virus that lives in the nose and throat mucus of an infected person. It can spread to others through coughing and sneezing. Also, measles virus can live for up to two hours in an airspace where the infected person coughed or sneezed. If other people breathe the contaminated air or touch the infected surface, then touch their eyes, noses, or mouths, they can become infected. Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.

Infected people can spread measles to others from four days before through four days after the rash appears.

Measles is a disease of humans; measles virus is not spread by any other animal species...

In 1912, measles became a nationally notifiable disease in the United States, requiring U.S. healthcare providers and laboratories to report all diagnosed cases. In the first decade of reporting, an average of 6,000 measles-related deaths were reported each year.

In the decade before 1963 when a vaccine became available, nearly all children got measles by the time they were 15 years of age. It is estimated 3 to 4 million people in the United States were infected each year. Also each year, among reported cases, an estimated 400 to 500 people died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and 1,000 suffered encephalitis (swelling of the brain) from measles...
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Scientology cruise ship quarantined with measles

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scientolog ... sles-case/