Sick

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

Sick

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So I got hit by something on Saturday. Started shaking, fever, aches, sore throat all that stuff. Swore I had the flu. Finally back at work today. Not close to 100%, but well enough to be here, I think..

Got swabbed on Monday and the results came back this morning that I had strep. Is it just me, or has anyone else had strep as an adult, and it's been the worst? About the sickest I've been in the last 8 years or so. My kids have strep, and it's nothing to them. I have strep and I'm secluded to the couch downstairs and I feel absolutely awful..
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Sick

Post by jhawks99 »

It's been years, but I had it. On the day of a big IT install. No way I could make it in with puking and pooping. My boss kept calling and my wife had to hold the phone with him till I was done with a couple of rounds.

Hope you're better soon.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Where's Shirley?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just now going to begin antibiotic in order to prevent the small chance of me still being contagious since the fever broke on Monday. So hopefully that helps, although I think I've now begun an ear infection in both ears.

But man it was and is rough. I've heard strep is rougher on adults, and I laughed at it, but now it's legit and it's been the worst since I got the flu in the middle of moving apartments with my good friend that my girlfriend at the time (now wife) basically moved everything for me because I couldn't move and lost about 20 pounds. Thankfully this one wasn't anything with stomach issues, but still didn't eat a damn and lost some weight.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:26 am So I got hit by something on Saturday...I'm secluded to the couch downstairs and I feel absolutely awful...
You got married last weekend?
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:43 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:26 am So I got hit by something on Saturday...I'm secluded to the couch downstairs and I feel absolutely awful...
You got married last weekend?
Funny
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Sorry you had to go through that Newton.
I had strep when I came back from LA on the 5th and wad diagnosed on the 6th - went to "Immediate Care" knowing I was not well and needed someone to check me out and diagnose me.
Got strep 2 years ago when I came back from LA.
Only two times I recall having strep as an adult. Hmmmm.
It was freaking bizarre this time. All started with a massive cough like I have never had before. Deep almost asthmatic. Frightening to a degree because it was like nothing I have ever had before.
Then the next day sort of a cold with a minor sore throat and zero cough what so ever.
Then a fever and chills.
Then a major sore throat. Took me about 10 days to get back to close to normal.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I’m on my third round of anabiotics since Christmas. Many days I have not gotten out of bed. Just slept. I think it started from a sinus infection probably picked up at an airport. I too had ear aches.
The harmful side effect of feeling fairly well but being at home, is that I find things I think I need to buy and then I order them. Ive also decluttered some bookshelves and my receipts are ready for the tax lady.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 amWhere's Shirley?
Shirley is banned.

Seems like if anyone would know that, you would.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

oh, snap!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Feral is right.
She's banned.
She, psych and usher.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I keep hand sanitizer with me at all times...serious. In my coat pocket, on my desk at work, in my car, at home. I've had a few colds that were 1-2 day headaches, but nothing major the last 10 years or so.

Feel better and drink lots of fluids.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It's crazy what anti-biotics can do. Feel tremendously better on day 2 of them. Earaches are gone. Throat pain is substantially less. Headaches are non-existent.

Just get fatigued pretty easily still. But much, much better.

Water has been my best friend this last week. And get the crushed ice, so that when the ice goes down my throat, it feels good to make it cold for a bit. I'm weird, I know.

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

shindig wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:42 pm I keep hand sanitizer with me at all times...serious. In my coat pocket, on my desk at work, in my car, at home. I've had a few colds that were 1-2 day headaches, but nothing major the last 10 years or so.

Also, carry a pen. When people hand you things to sign, (like a credit card receipt), and include a pen, use your own pen rather than touching one that who knows how many other people have touched.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:38 pm
shindig wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:42 pm I keep hand sanitizer with me at all times...serious. In my coat pocket, on my desk at work, in my car, at home. I've had a few colds that were 1-2 day headaches, but nothing major the last 10 years or so.

Also, carry a pen. When people hand you things to sign, (like a credit card receipt), and include a pen, use your own pen rather than touching one that who knows how many other people have touched.
Nothing is worse than having to use the electronic stylus...

...to confirm that you picked up your prescription.

Fucking gross.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I have my own personal pen at work. Maybe I need to have one on me at all times.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger ;)
shindig

Post by shindig »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Fucking gross.
I cringe every time I have to use one of those or a keypad at QT to punch in your PIN #. I also use my elbows to push doors open...lol.
shindig

Post by shindig »

One other thing my Doc mentioned to me once was to keep your fingernails trimmed, especially in the Winter. Germs can get under your nails and basically hide. Basic hygiene, but I do trim my fingernails more often in the Winter and use a small brush in the evening or morning shower with hot soapy water to clean my digits! And keep your hands away from your face. Use a tissue if your nose itches. Dr. Shindig.

Glad you are on the mend Newton!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Fucking gross.
gawdammit
Defense. Rebounds.