Badder dogs and assholer neighbors

Coffee talk.
KU1214

Re: Badder dogs and assholer neighbors

Post by KU1214 »

TDub

How about trapping them yourself and then driving them somewhere else to free them in another area - away from other homes.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

That's bad rural etiquette. Dumping them on someone else's property makes it someone else's problem.

Trap them and DROWN them!

:-o
Deleted User 75

I know we've got some animal lovers here, but these aren't house cats. They're nasty pests and they're problematic....and they reproduce like crazy.

There likely isn't a realistic solution that results in the nasty things living.

If drowning isn't your style, get a case of beer and pick the nasty little fuckers off with a rifle....although then you'll have other animals smelling their blood and looking for their bodies....which creates another problem....
KU1214

Post by KU1214 »

I'lly
Note I said away from other homes. I would not support placing feral cats on someone else's property.

Nor would I support drowning them.
Deleted User 75

Homes or not the land is owned by somebody....and I'd imagine the fines are hefty if a "deer camera" catches you dumping them on private property... country folks don't like people dumping anything on their land (whether it be trash or animals or whatever... even in the middle of nowhere)...

Truthfully there aren't very many options, and even fewer "humane" options...life in the country with nuisance wildlife !
KU1214

Post by KU1214 »

I agree, the options are few.
Deleted User 75

I've got voles living under my sidewalk and driveway. They've been harder to get rid of than I expected. I could use some of those feral cats!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well that one feral cat mostly hangs on the pols bored.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:46 pm I've got voles living under my sidewalk and driveway. They've been harder to get rid of than I expected. I could use some of those feral cats!

Find the tunnels, dig down at the mounds (wear latex gloves, they smell us). Set a scissor trap slightly back from the mouth of the tunnel or tunnel intersection. Lean the trap back slightly. 10-15 degrees. Put 3 small rocks/pebbles just before the trigger to the trap (makes them hit the trigger harder. Put a 5 gallon bucket over the hole and the trap. Mound dirt up around bucket base to block light. Wait 48 hrs absolute minimum. I usually wait 4 days or so. If nothing in trap when check move location and reset.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 75

I'll give it a try...main problem I'm having is that there is a "wash out" under some of the concrete that has left an underground cave of sorts under a portion of my driveway and sidewalk....perfect place for them to live and feel safe...so repellents have no chance of working. It's just too good of a spot for them to leave...I've been trying to poison the fuckers for about a month...but snow and rain making that hard at times...also just going to go old school and put mouse traps right by the "tunnels".....since voles travel above ground for the most part via their "surface tunnels" I think that'll work, just takes a while....I was hoping the super cold weather we had might have killed some of them off, but no real way to know. They don't live very long so eventually they would likely die off, since off spring apparently don't stay with the parents very long from what I've read......but since they've got the vole mansion under my driveway maybe it's too good of a home to leave.

I am at war with these yard rats!
shindig

Post by shindig »

My dad will get his garden tiller, hook a hose to the exhaust and put the hose down into the mole hole while also closing off the other holes. Painless death I would assume.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

more humane than drowning, for sure
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:36 am I'll give it a try...main problem I'm having is that there is a "wash out" under some of the concrete that has left an underground cave of sorts under a portion of my driveway and sidewalk....perfect place for them to live and feel safe...so repellents have no chance of working. It's just too good of a spot for them to leave...I've been trying to poison the fuckers for about a month...but snow and rain making that hard at times...also just going to go old school and put mouse traps right by the "tunnels".....since voles travel above ground for the most part via their "surface tunnels" I think that'll work, just takes a while....I was hoping the super cold weather we had might have killed some of them off, but no real way to know. They don't live very long so eventually they would likely die off, since off spring apparently don't stay with the parents very long from what I've read......but since they've got the vole mansion under my driveway maybe it's too good of a home to leave.

I am at war with these yard rats!

Deleted User 75

Well done!!!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Why dont you address the cave under your driveway? Leaving it like that is going to lead to a bigger problem than voles.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 75

TDub wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:32 am Why dont you address the cave under your driveway? Leaving it like that is going to lead to a bigger problem than voles.
Haha no doubt....I'll do it eventually...but redoing a driveway isn't cheap...and I'm cheap...and broke...so waiting until closer until we're ready to move into the next house we can barely afford.

#Merica
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Quick fix tho. Throw up a formboard and pump in some grout, cover with dirt so you dont have to finish the edging. Easy peasy.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We did something like that at our house in Olathe. I was redoing some landscaping and noticed a big hole under the driveway. I bent down and shoved a shovel in the hole to see how far it went back. Couldn't find the end. Hands and knees, went all the through. And about 1/3 of the way down the driveway.

Mudjacked it. Cost a couple hundred bucks but it saved the driveway.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 75

TDub wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:46 pm Quick fix tho. Throw up a formboard and pump in some grout, cover with dirt so you dont have to finish the edging. Easy peasy.
I may give that a try...

It's hard to describe....I have a relatively steep driveway....one of the gutter downspouts wasn't positioned very intelligently when the house was built....so it's washed out underneath part of the concrete, but not much exposed to the eye, the erosion is happening underneath ...I need some way to pump in concrete underneath it...my guess is that the "cave" is about 4in tall and maybe 2ft by 6ft wide at most....hard to know...they burrow in and go under in 3 main spots.

I may just bite the bullet and have a concrete guy I know do a quick fix instead of redoing the entire driveway right now. But the driveway has a couple cracks so I can see in another 10 years it'll need to be totally redone.
Deleted User 75

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 pm We did something like that at our house in Olathe. I was redoing some landscaping and noticed a big hole under the driveway. I bent down and shoved a shovel in the hole to see how far it went back. Couldn't find the end. Hands and knees, went all the through. And about 1/3 of the way down the driveway.

Mudjacked it. Cost a couple hundred bucks but it saved the driveway.
Gotta be the same thing I'm looking at. Maybe I'll go that route instead of concrete?