ousdahl

Re: Badder dogs and assholer neighbors

Post by ousdahl »

on a national forest trail by my house
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

fuckin a

if national forest, then no leash required, right?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

popular trails with a lot of skiers, fat bikers, snowshoers, other doggos, foxes, coyotes, and moose.

I’m coming down one trail when I see an older couple and two dogs coming the other way. The obsese chocolate lab clearly just wants to be pals, but the cattle dog is nervous. The owners are skiing behind them. Neither is on leash.

I slow down and get past the lab all friendly, then as I pass the cattle fucker he gets me in the back of the leg.

Red and purple and scraped and swollen and drew a few drops of blood but doesn’t seem serious. Dog supposed to have his shots, but I haven’t had a tetanus booster ever since lobster told me not to get one.

Asshole owners were nice and apologetic but still assholes for letting a bad dog run off leash, and I let em know it. I then followed up by asking if they at least brought poop bags, then called them even bigger assholes when they hadn’t.

Fuck!
Deleted User 89

sorry

some people suck
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Go to the ER and send them the bill
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

You listened to Lobster......!
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Those people suck.
I figured that, idealy, you are standing in water most of the day that you would have every kind of vaccination. I realize you’re up above people populations, but still.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Don’t agree with it’s the people in this case. I see herders do this every single day at my dog park. My dog standing around and out of no where they bite her rear leg. Hard and fast. And once one does it, its a mob scene. Can’t unbreed some things.
I am, I said.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

WTF so if I get tetanus or rabies or a traumatic injury, those people are supposed to get a pass cuz you just can't unbreed some things?

it's the people who let herders run off leash.

it's the people who seek out those breeds with unfavorable traits you can't unbreed.

if that dog did that to a moose, and the moose stomps their house pet to death, do they just shrug it off as herders being herders?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what if it turns out that dog has a long history of biting folks? and the owners, though apologetic at the time, are the type to just think IT'S NOT US YOU JUST CAN'T UNBREED SOME THINGS?

now I kinda wanna report it to the sheriff.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Sorry you got bit ousdahl and I have little doubt it would have been better if that particular dog was on a leash.
I know it's hard to take solace but realize it could have been a whole lot worse. Dogs will be dogs. Trained or not trained. On leashes or not on leashes.

I see people let their young kids walk their pitbulls on leashes. I cringe every time.
I read how pitbulls are among the friendliest and most "chill" dogs. Maybe, maybe not.
That pit no matter how kind and gentle, sees something it likes or doesn't like and wants it or wants to destroy it, that kid has ZERO chance of controlling the dog. Leash, words, whatever, that dog is now possessed and nothing is going to stop it. It grabs a hold of a human or another animal, that human or other animal is fucked. Meanwhile, I fully realize that some little 5 pound yapper can be a lot meaner and more aggressive than an 80 pound solid as a brick shit house dog but I can kick a 5 pound yapper like a football and watch it fly trough the uprights. I kick an 80 pound dog, that dog growls at me and then decides its going to make me it's bitch and maybe even it's lunch. I'm fucked.
I love dogs. Well, most dogs. That being said, lovable or not, I always realize and respect their ability to fuck me up.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I’m not excusing it. Im saying I see the dogs bite every day. When a bite should be an alarming incident, it’s regular part of their day. I’m saying the owner shouldn’t have them in public if that’s the case.

My dog got bit hard by the same. Came running to me terrified. And she’s over 100 pound dog. Lady came up to ask me if my dog got bit. Yes, that your dog? No, mine got bit just before yours did. 2 bites in 15 seconds?

Every single day, the owners of these dogs come back with multiple incidents. Why? I would have been out the door with 1.

“She likes to play”. I let every owner around them know the new millennial term for play is drawing blood on your family member. Shame doesn’t work either.
I am, I said.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what's concerning is how many people give their dog some pass, one way or another. It can be anything from "you just can't unbreed some things" to "the dog has never done anything bad yet or before or since we signed him up for that 90 minute obedience training powerpoint presentation one Saturday at Petsmart or whatever.

Lots of folks up here get entitled about letting their dog run off leash. A few summers ago I was biking a trail when I came around a corner and hit a Corgi. I felt bad, until the owner ran up and started bitching me out like I was the asshole. I was like ummm NO, you're the asshole for letting your dog run at large! If you really care about your pet and don't want it rolled over then put that little fucker on a leash. I would have felt terrible if I had actually hurt the thing, but if I had, it's entirely the responsibility of the owner. (yes, there are plenty of ordinances and rules about dogs on leashes, but whaddya gonna do)

I love dogs, unless they're being assholes. and 99.9% of the time, if the dog's being an asshole, it's cuz the owner's being an asshole in the first place.

If I ever get a dog of my own - and I hope I some day do - it's likely gonna be a lab, just cuz the vast majority of labs I've ever known just wanna be friends with everybody. Why can't all dogs be labs? (now cue somebody saying BUT I ONCE KNEW A LAB WHO WAS BAD, good fer you!)

But it's like these assholes who wanna own problem breeds think the whole goddamn community should go out of their way just for their novel bad dog. Nope, still up to the owner take responsibility for the thing.

at the very fucking least, clean up after your dogs when they shit on the trail.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Growing up, my redneck uncle in Georgia always said that if a dog ever attacked him or his son or nephews, he would see to it that it was the last thing the dog ever did.

I always thought that was harsh, but now I get it.

And if that actually did happen, and the owners called the sheriff like THAT ASSHOLE KILLED MY DOG AFTER IT ATTACKED HIM AND HIS NEPHEW, is the sheriff gonna say anything other than well you shouldn’t let an aggressive dog run at large?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Entitled. Both parties
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, I’m entitled?

You bet your ass I’m entitled to NOT BE BIT BY A DOG RUNNING AT LARGE.
Deleted User 89

i don’t care the breed. most any dog can be trained and conditioned to behave the way you want. i have/had a red heeler, and not a single bite ever. it’s all about being willing to put in the time.

i’m actually looking at getting a new blue heeler pup on the next few weeks
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I’ve been considering a retired greyhound. I don’t have any direct experience with them, but they sound like big couch potatoes with short hair, that won’t have to go through the puppy phases of peeing and chewing. I read that they are never supposed to be off leash (w/out a fence) because they are sight hounds. If they see a rabbit/squirrel, you’re never going to catch up.
Anyone have a greyhound story?