Fireplaces

Coffee talk.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Fireplaces

Post by zsn »

Only on days when the weather conditions are really bad. Happens maybe 4-5 times each in the summer and winter. Having lived here for so many years I’m not sure how they enforce, especially in winter because most people use the fireplace at night. I’ve never heard of anyone being fined either in summer or winter, although a few years ago this guy down the block was mowing on one of the days when it was like 95 degrees outside (thus the spare the air) and a cop who was driving by told him to cut it out. Small price for healthy air.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

but, but...freedom

or something
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Got a spot with a wood burning stove.
Has a screen that screws into the opening so you can keep the door open and hear/see the flame -- tried it out Friday night b/c it got down to 40 out.
Not quite a fireplace but as people have mentioned - you close that sucker up and is a good heat source.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

One thing that perplexes me (because I am, well, bad at being a homeowner): when my power is out, the gas fireplace (which is controlled by a light switch) still works. Is there like a capacitor or something that holds a charge? Closed system with a battery?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Went to the local Tour of Homes last winter and discovered that it seems to be a requirement if you're selling a home for at least $2.5 million, it must have a fireplace in the bedroom.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:17 pm One thing that perplexes me (because I am, well, bad at being a homeowner): when my power is out, the gas fireplace (which is controlled by a light switch) still works. Is there like a capacitor or something that holds a charge? Closed system with a battery?
it’s magic
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Pilot light igniter is electric but once pilot is lit shouldnt need electricity to function
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

c’mon...magic was a way better answer
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:13 pm Pilot light igniter is electric but once pilot is lit shouldnt need electricity to function
No, I’m saying there’s no fire, and then when I flip the switch (with the power out) the fire comes on.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Yup, magic.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sounds like an ipi valve pilot. In which case yes there would be a battery backup somewhere in the system, probably under the cover of the insert. It lights the pilot only when the main burner is on. So not a typical pilot.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's a capacitor...A flux capacitor. C'mon let's go check out 1955.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

1955?
Let's go to 2015.
They got hoverboards.