Fireplaces

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Fireplaces

Post by pdub »

Who knows about em?
Looking to buy a new house but really want a wood burning fireplace.
If the house doesn't have a fireplace in it:
How much does it run to build? What are all the requirements for venting, weight, etc.
I could google but here's a thread.

I'm looking to charge ya'all 100 bucks a month so I can pay for it.
Deleted User 75

Re: Fireplaces

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Buy a house with a wood burning fireplace....or build a house and have your contractor build you a wood burning fireplace.

If you're buying a house already built and it's less than 20 years old it's not likely going to have wood burning and I doubt you could convert it or add one for less than 20k when all is said and done....so if that's the case the you should build a firepit in the backyard and call it a day.
Deleted User 75

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That number, 20kish, is what I kinda expected, and is doable - but if it's that then, what other things do we have to be concerned about.

I live in Maine.
The firepit would only be good for 6 months.
What about the other 6 months?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Lots of unknowns:
Type of unit--stove or fireplace?
Location? Inside or mounted inside and vented on the outside--do you have to build an exterior chase to accommodate the stack? If you just vent through the wall, is there a soffitt to go through? How steep is the roof (code says you must be 3' above any part of the roof within 10'. How many floors in the house?

$20k should certainly cover just about any installation and unit. I'm thinking more along the lines of $10-15k for everything. Unless, of course, you need to put a 30' chimney on it and go through solid oak/walnut/maple floors on every floor and tear into traditional plaster walls and ceilings . . . that's when it starts adding u--building chases and repairing plaster walls.
Deleted User 75

Some other things to consider since you haven't purchased the house yet.... type of exterior (brick or vinyl siding)....a wood burning fireplace needs a legit chimney, so there may be some work needed to the exterior to accommodate if there isn't already some sort of chimney in place. Matching siding colors if siding has to be replaced can be a pain in the ass if the siding is older and has some sun fading going on.

If it's a must have and you're in a position to be patient then it might just be better to be picky until you find a house with a wood burning fireplace....or do a new construction and get exactly what you want.

It's sort of a crap shoot with older homes and doing major remodels like that because you never know what you're going to run into once you start busting down walls...

If you get a house where the location of the potential fireplace is on an exterior wall it might save you a bunch of money....if the living room or wherever you're going to place the fireplace is in the middle of the room and not by an exterior wall things could get dicey and more expensive.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I’m no help. I can’t imagine living somewhere like Maine without some kind of secondary heating source. One of those rocket heaters that is a couch looks neat if you don’t mind tending fire all the time. Fireplaces don’t really provide a lot of heat unless there is an insert.
Deleted User 75

Sounds like pwhitt isn't paying enough in taxes if he's got 20k to burn on a fireplace so that he can burn precious trees!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Good info so far.
I don't know what a soffitt is but I should probably learn.
Yea, ideally we'd find a place with a fireplace already there.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Probably best.

You probably will want to inspect it and have it cleaned before starting a fire in there.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:03 pm Good info so far.
Listen to Defix and no one else.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:48 pm
Listen to Defix and no one else.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

my impression is that a stove would be much more efficient than a fireplace
shindig

Post by shindig »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 am my impression is that a stove would be much more efficient than a fireplace
Yep. My parents have a wood burning stove and that sucker puts out a ton of heat. With most fireplaces, the majority of the heat goes out the chimney. Have you looked into flueless gas inserts? They put out a quite a bit of heat and you don't have to deal with the mess of cleaning out the logs and soot.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Stop saying we...no one's buying it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

shindig wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 am my impression is that a stove would be much more efficient than a fireplace
Yep. My parents have a wood burning stove and that sucker puts out a ton of heat. With most fireplaces, the majority of the heat goes out the chimney. Have you looked into flueless gas inserts? They put out a quite a bit of heat and you don't have to deal with the mess of cleaning out the logs and soot.
They're also a lot cheaper easier to install.

Aesthetically though, they can be tough...you really need a good place for one.

Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:28 am

i would think that total cost would be cheaper, even if you drop a few grand on an aesthetically pleasing one
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 am

i would think that total cost would be cheaper, even if you drop a few grand on an aesthetically pleasing one
I think it's more about having a suitable spot for one.

I've been in some homes that just sorta look like they plunked down a stove in the middle of a living room. I get it, they wanted the most sensible spot to keep their house warm. But it looks like shit. Also, don't have some convoluted flue route.

Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 am

I think it's more about having a suitable spot for one.

I've been in some homes that just sorta look like they plunked down a stove in the middle of a living room. I get it, they wanted the most sensible spot to keep their house warm. But it looks like shit. Also, don't have some convoluted flue route.
gotcha
Deleted User 89

didn't know these were even a thing, but i kind like the idea