Sounds About White

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Sounds About White

Post by ousdahl »

- why are we just now seeing this video?

- on one hand it doesn't really show or tell us anything we didn't already see, but on the other hand, it does illustrate a cowboy cop being even more aggressive than we previously thought, and a driver being less.

- (cop opens door..."I will light you up!"...she was holding a phone that he acknowledges, so it's not like she wouldn't take her hands out of her pockets or was holding some ambiguous potential weapon...she never does anything remotely aggressive...she's wearing heels lol...yet let's remember the cop's defense was he feared for his life)

- why does the video just sorta end? pretty sure the previous dash cam records a few more seconds of her screaming in distress, but out of the video frame, then that one just sorta ends too?)

- the only criminal charge that resulted was one of perjury, against the cop, for lying on his police report. but the charge was dropped if he agreed to never work as a cop again.

- while I can get behind calls to reopen the investigation, what more could come of it at this point? maybe tampering with evidence cuz of the video? Who else had seen it already? Who else hadn't?

- Bland spent 3 days in jail until she was found dead. The official ruling was a suicide. Could any additional investigation change anything about that now?

- and let's bear in mind, this was all over a traffic stop for a failure to signal.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

72 Philadelphia Police Officers Placed On Desk Duty Over Offensive Social Media Posts

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/73424121 ... cial-media

...that range from racist memes, to posts celebrating violence and messages containing Islamophobic themes, among other offensive material.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Do we know what privilege looks like? Is it a privilege to have senators, ballerinas, broadway stars, and professors look like me? Is it enough that I recognize that privilege or should I also be a proponent of more non-white leaders and stars?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I imagine this bored is gonna peak be shitty this summer leading up until the election.
And then probably a good six months after said election.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:19 pm Do we know what privilege looks like? Is it a privilege to have senators, ballerinas, broadway stars, and professors look like me? Is it enough that I recognize that privilege or should I also be a proponent of more non-white leaders and stars?
I dunno about this.

I grew up white and during the Bird vs Magic era, and I was a Magic guy, no one told me I was supposed to root for Bird because he was white. My favorite football player was Walter Payton, not Joe Montana. My favorite Baseball player was Andre Dawson not Ryne Sandberg. I thought Tubbs was cooler than Crocket, my favorite A-team member was Mr. T.

I remember when the NBA expanded to europe, people told me it was to keep the white american fan base interested. As though, white americans would only cheer for other white dudes, but I didn't get it, I related more to Paul Pierce than I did to Dirk Nowitzki, Paul and I had more in common even if we were different races than Dirk and I did.

As a freshman in HS I had a female head basketball coach, none of us thought anything of it, until the next year when the male girls freshman coach and our coach switched places becasue of pressure from parents.

The scientist I've most admired is Argentinian...I think he's of European descent, but he certainly doesn't look like me.

I suppose the counter argument is that being white and having that privilege made me not hesitant about my choices in role models, but then if that's the case, isn't the issue here just as much about how important it is to let kids know that they can choose role models of any race (or gender or whatever).

I mean, are we sure that kids actually feel left out because the potential role models are of a different race, or is that more of what adults assume is needed like when they swapped out my town's HS basketball coaches?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:33 pm
DrPepper wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:19 pm Do we know what privilege looks like? Is it a privilege to have senators, ballerinas, broadway stars, and professors look like me? Is it enough that I recognize that privilege or should I also be a proponent of more non-white leaders and stars?
I dunno about this.

I grew up white and during the Bird vs Magic era, and I was a Magic guy, no one told me I was supposed to root for Bird because he was white. My favorite football player was Walter Payton, not Joe Montana. My favorite Baseball player was Andre Dawson not Ryne Sandberg. I thought Tubbs was cooler than Crocket, my favorite A-team member was Mr. T.

I remember when the NBA expanded to europe, people told me it was to keep the white american fan base interested. As though, white americans would only cheer for other white dudes, but I didn't get it, I related more to Paul Pierce than I did to Dirk Nowitzki, Paul and I had more in common even if we were different races than Dirk and I did.

As a freshman in HS I had a female head basketball coach, none of us thought anything of it, until the next year when the male girls freshman coach and our coach switched places becasue of pressure from parents.

The scientist I've most admired is Argentinian...I think he's of European descent, but he certainly doesn't look like me.

I suppose the counter argument is that being white and having that privilege made me not hesitant about my choices in role models, but then if that's the case, isn't the issue here just as much about how important it is to let kids know that they can choose role models of any race (or gender or whatever).

I mean, are we sure that kids actually feel left out because the potential role models are of a different race, or is that more of what adults assume is needed like when they swapped out my town's HS basketball coaches?
I think a certain segment of the population just feels the need to constantly look for reasons to feel marginalized and be outraged, and neither race nor sex nor socioeconomic status are predictors of membership in that group.

My high schooler is a tall, gangly White basketball player who aspires to be Giannis, whose friends are mostly Black and Latino, and who stops talking like a middle class kid from Newton, KS and starts talking like he just rolled up from Watts when he is with them. From what I can tell, that’s just kids today. They’re not nearly as hung up on racial and class distinctions as their parents and grandparents, but especially not the idiots who run the media today.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

From my seat, representation matters.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Representation does indeed matter.

Unfortunately, representation gets mixed up with a whole bunch of extraneous identity-laden academic concepts that were never meant to be applied to "reality," making it difficult to determine how much it matters, in what context, and to whom. The notion of "privilege" means nothing...and everything, depending on who is using it and how?

The classic (and undoubtedly over-used) example: who is more privileged: the white kid raised by the single mom with a meth problem in central Missouri or Malia Obama?

That's simple, right?

But it's not, even when it comes to representation.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I have heard people say how thrilled they were to see a judge or scholar who looked like them (black females). I assume they spoke genuinely. Likewise with a handicapped chemist and a gay politician.

Me, the middle class white female who grew up comfortably in a two-working parent (a mom and a Dad) household? I felt I could be anything I wanted. But I also remember being thrilled that I had female STEM professors. And better for the fact that my schools offered girls sports teams. Today I’m pondering if that was because someone told me that was good or because it really mattered. I’m leaning towards it really mattering.

I can’t put myself in a different race to know what, in general, matters most.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

My kid is not white. We decorated our house with leaders/heros/stars of her race. Ok, three photos. But my parental instinct was that it was important kiddo saw heros that looked the same.
That reminds me of the local kid who asked his dad if he was slower because he was not white. It was ironic because the kid was black. Dare I say, that in general, black people are better sprinters and therefore capable of winning the kindergarten game of tag?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

nm

lulz