Game Of Thrones

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Game Of Thrones

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:50 pm Bran's storyline just felt far more important than it turned out ( so far ) to be and linked with an even more important storyline - the white walkers and the Night King.

Bran can go back in time and see all of history.
He can also warg and he can warg through time.
Instead he just sits there and goes, 'you're a good man Theon' and I guess reveals to Sansa and Arya that Jon is Targaryean.

Hopefully MICH is right that there has to be something more than what we've seen so far.
Otherwise what a miffed punt.
Like you caught the punt, turned around, and punted it into your own endzone.
So really they did smack us in the face without our expecting it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, I suppose you are right.
But if they were going to go that route, might as well have Cersei see her brother at the gates, break down in tears and say, "I'm so sorry, yes, of course she can be our true Queen!" and then an airplane fly over them and it turned out to be all purgatory.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Jamie's gonna gut Cersei before it's all over.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

He's already been up to his nuts in cersei guts
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Arya is going to say "The North remembers" right before 86'ing Cersei.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:49 pm Arya is going to say "The North remembers" right before 86'ing Cersei.
Where did the term "86 them" come from?

Perhaps its origin lies in New York. Many stories back this up. There was a speakeasy bar at 86 Bedford Street in Greenwich Village called Chumley's, with no address on the door and several hidden exits. When the heat showed up, guests were known to 86 it, or remove themselves from the premises immediately.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Feral wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:57 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:49 pm Arya is going to say "The North remembers" right before 86'ing Cersei.
Where did the term "86 them" come from?

Perhaps its origin lies in New York. Many stories back this up. There was a speakeasy bar at 86 Bedford Street in Greenwich Village called Chumley's, with no address on the door and several hidden exits. When the heat showed up, guests were known to 86 it, or remove themselves from the premises immediately.
that’s interesting

i always enjoy learning the history of those sorts of things
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Two stories that I've heard.

At the famous Delmonico's in NYC, the Delmonico steak was item number 86 and they were out of it a lot.

The other story is that the US gummint declared that distilleries had to reduce the alcohol in spirits to 86 proof. Thus, 86 the alcohol.

No idea if either is true.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

EIGHTY SIX (86)

For those not familiar with the expression, to ‘eighty-six’ something in a restaurant is to indicate you are out of that item.
There are many stories of the origin of this expression. Here are a few of them. #1 and #2 seem more likely to me, but who knows!

1) Chumley's, a bar in Greenwich Village, which during speakeasy days through unruly customers out the back door, which is number 86 Bedford Street - they were '86'd.'

2) Same bar, Chumley's same time period - the front door address was 86 Worth Street and there was a chalk board inside the front door with the address painted across the top - the chalkboard was where items that had been sold out were posted - it soon became known as the '86' board.

3) Same time period, maybe the same bar, when a new customer (not a regular) came into the speakeasy, the bartender would '86' them - serve them 86 proof booze instead of the 100 or higher proof stuff reserved for the regulars.

4) Similar to #3: drunks were given 86 proof booze instead of higher proof stuff they had been drinking.

5) Same city, different restaurant - Delmonico's at the turn of the century had a menu with more than 100 items. They always seemed to be out of #86, and it became an expression used by the service staff meaning to be out of something - 86'd.

6) Same city (New York) The old Manhattan subway route ended at 86th Street. That's it, all out, can't go further, everybody out. You were 86'd.

7) A grave is 8 feet long, 6 feet deep. 86'd.

8) French soldiers in WW I were issued 85 bullets - 86 and that's it!
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
noosh

Post by noosh »

Never seen this show. Not really into flying dragons and shit.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Some people dont enjoy conceptual, imaginitive fantasy shows like Harry Potter or GoT. It just depends on how you're wired. It's certainly not for everyone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I mean it was good action.
Still nothing with Bran...so...
I’m guessing everything in the North is over and they just punted into their own end zone.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

did they kill Voldemort yet?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea and it was a letdown.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:02 am Yea and it was a letdown.
Killed Voldemort in Prisoner of Azkaban so that they could deal with the real threat: Dolores Umbridge?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 pm I mean it was good action.
Still nothing with Bran...so...
I’m guessing everything in the North is over and they just punted into their own end zone.
Maybe Bran was the horse that rescued Arya.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I read an interview with grrm on Monday. Unless I misunderstood him, it went something like this:

1. He discussed his vision for the ending with the two showrunners around like season 3 or 4. He said on Monday that so far season 8 is in the ballpark with how he saw it ending.

2. He never envisioned the night king being the ultimate evil. For him the ultimate evil was cersei.

or maybe I misunderstood.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's hard to tell if Martin is stupid (1) or stupid like a fox (2).

1. Truly self-absorbed and/or satisfied, with no real plans in mind for ever finishing the books.

2. Knew D&D would botch the endgame (which they have), held off on the books' final releases so as to preserve another massive payday a few years down the line.