Game Of Thrones

Coffee talk.
thekid6
Contributor

Re: Game Of Thrones

Post by thekid6 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:41 am
pdub wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:02 am Yea and it was a letdown.
Killed Voldemort in Prisoner of Azkaban so that they could deal with the real threat: Dolores Umbridge?
She's the biggest biotch that ever existed.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

In a way, I enjoyed it. I expected it to be stupid, and it was.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

thekid6 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Killed Voldemort in Prisoner of Azkaban so that they could deal with the real threat: Dolores Umbridge?
Had to read that three times because my brain read biotech.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:23 pm
thekid6 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Had to read that three times because my brain read biotech.
Haha, even I didn't catch that!
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

It’s the final Game day.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

So no re-rise of the albino doods?
We don't get to see if John is inflammable?
Grey Worm headed to the beach for drinks with umbrellas in them?
Everyone chuckle at the thought of democracy.
No more stabby stabby.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I’m satisfied.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Tyrion: who has a better story than bran?
Me: literally every single other character on the show.

KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Season 8 was basically a shitty finale, but drawn out into episodes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 am I’m satisfied.
I'm not surprised.

I thought the finale was fine, on its own. The characters' various resolutions were...B+? A-?

How we got here, though, was a complete fucking mess. The last two seasons - needlessly rushed and truncated, with massive dissonances and plot holes resulting - really undercut the weight of the series, taken as a whole. Fears that the show had permanently lost its fastball when it outran the source material were 100% founded.

Tyrion was right: it's the story that matters, and the back 1/3 of this story sucked ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KU76erfan wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:17 am Season 8 was basically a shitty finale, but drawn out into episodes.
This isn't wrong, but I think the converse is true also - to get from the end of Season 6 (Cersei blows up the Sept of Baelor; Arya gives Walder Frey the Scott Tenorman treatment; Dany/Varys/Tywni/Olenna team up; Winter-is-Here; Jon's parentage revealed) to where we ended up needed WAY more than two truncated seasons.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:28 am
I'm not surprised.

I thought the finale was fine, on its own. The characters' various resolutions were...B+? A-?

How we got here, though, was a complete fucking mess. The last two seasons - needlessly rushed and truncated, with massive dissonances and plot holes resulting - really undercut the weight of the series, taken as a whole. Fears that the show had permanently lost its fastball when it outran the source material were 100% founded.

Tyrion was right: it's the story that matters, and the back 1/3 of this story sucked ass.
I'm still trying to understand why the final two seasons were 13 episodes instead of 20. I think those missing 7 episodes would have made things significantly better. Even in the absence of the original source material, you gotta think 7 hours allows you to fill in a lot of what was missing.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:41 am
I'm not surprised.

I'm still trying to understand why the final two seasons were 13 episodes instead of 20. I think those missing 7 episodes would have made things significantly better. Even in the absence of the original source material, you gotta think 7 hours allows you to fill in a lot of what was missing.
I think the most logical explanation is probably the least satisfying: Benioff and Weiss simply didn't want to do the work. They'd already landed Star Wars, and they simply didn't want to accept the challenge of really finishing what they'd started (which had metastasized into a beast of a universe).
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

I was initially quite excited they were at the helm of a potential KOTOR series, now, not so much.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:37 am It's hard to tell if Martin is stupid (1) or stupid like a fox (2).

1. Truly self-absorbed and/or satisfied, with no real plans in mind for ever finishing the books.

2. Knew D&D would botch the endgame (which they have), held off on the books' final releases so as to preserve another massive payday a few years down the line.
He is old. He isnt pushing off that pay day. If he had a book ready to go it would be for sale now.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

George R. R. Martin Has Opened Up About The "Game Of Thrones" Ending

George R. R. Martin, author of the A Song of Ice and Fire series that Game of Thrones is based on, has posted on his Not A Blog about the ending of the show.

He expressed his sadness it was over, and praised showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, as well as the cast and crew, for their hard work.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The last two episodes were good.
They don’t make up for, what’s already been mentioned before, the letsgetthisoverwith previous episodes of the season nor the letdown which was the major threat of the series, the Night King and white walkers.

At least they dealt with Bran in a way. He knew he had to be king and he knows all the stories. You’d think he’d have a better way of getting to that point but maybe not. But he had to become one of the more powerful/rare beings in the world just so they could vote him king? Eh.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:41 am
I'm not surprised.

This.
Hell three more episodes if written well enough could have done it.