Game Of Thrones

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Game Of Thrones

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:51 pm To tag onto your awful analogy, my point is that they were trying to vacuum out a car that was returning from 4 college males living at the beach to surf and party all summer. Three minutes, five minutes, twenty minutes of vacuuming, they were never going to get that car cleaned to where someone wouldn't still find sand after inspecting it. People complain about everything; it seems to be what we do in today's era.

There's no perfect way to replace a leader/ruler. Not in today's America and not in Westeros. All the choices have something that sucks about them. I was glad to see GoT not attempt to become Gotham, where the good guys comically always end up winning.
The difference, that again, you unsurprisingly are unable to grasp, is that given 10 episodes in season 6 and 10 episodes in season 7, attempting the herculean task of vacuuming the beach surf party car in 5 minutes would have seemed like a noble attempt. You'd say to yourself, man, they had no chance at getting that car completely clean, but I really admire their effort...you gotta give them credit.

But for them to so brazenly think that they could vacuum away 3 months worth of debris in 3 minutes, when they could have had 5...well, that's not something to admire. That's just stupid.

People who read the books (not me) have been complaining from the beginning when things in the book got left out. That's a silly thing...a book has unlimited space, a show has...more or less, an allotment of time. You have to pare things down, you have to combine characters or storylines, and stick to the most important things. The show game of thrones built a fanbase for 6 years based around a 10 episode format, and then for the two most critical seasons, with more story than in any of the previous 6, and a hard ending, decided, fuck it, let's do it in about half that, and the show suffered from it.

I think there's a fundamental difference between complaining about a specific storyline not going the way you wanted it to go, and commenting that the quality of the show clearly dropping because they didn't give themselves the time required to accomplish what they wanted to. It's my understanding that the decision was completely because of the two show-runners, not some budget limitation or something else, it's not like HBO told them last minute they weren't going to be renewed and needed to wrap it up.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I feel good about it.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

MICH feels good about it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I get killing Voldemort early, but what always bugged me was why the hell they set Harry up with Ron’s dorky ginger sister when Hermione was the bigger babe all along.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

pdub wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:43 pm MICH feels good about it.
Yay!
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:12 pm
People who read the books (not me) have been complaining from the beginning when things in the book got left out. That's a silly thing...a book has unlimited space, a show has...more or less, an allotment of time. You have to pare things down, you have to combine characters or storylines, and stick to the most important things.
Quite the contrary, I actually LOVED a lot of the additional scenes D&D inserted (the Arya/Tywin scenes in particular were golden), and felt they made some very wise omissions from the book, particularly in leaving out Lady Stoneheart.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So yes, we are back to the basic point that we all would have liked to have more. More seasons, more episodes, more plot lines developed with more detail. If the biggest complaint a series has is that fans wish they had more of it, then they have done well for themselves.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm I get killing Voldemort early, but what always bugged me was why the hell they set Harry up with Ron’s dorky ginger sister when Hermione was the bigger babe all along.
Hermione was a know it all nag. Always go for the redhead.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Again, it's not that we wanted MORE after the series had ended but rather it needed more so that it could get the ending it deserved.

It's like you're watching Kansas Memphis 2008 and Kansas is down 9 with 2 minutes, it cuts out, and starts 2 minutes into overtime. A lot of fans would have wanted a second overtime or a third overtime, sure, but this is different, you just skipped over important parts when you weren't doing it for most of the game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

A very good analogy.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yeah, not sure why this is a hard concept. I don't want more seasons, I'm not even particularly excited about the spin off shows (though that could change). I just wanted it wrapped up better than it was, which could have been done with 10 episode seasons.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If anything, the way it played out nuked my interest in prequel/spinoff/adjacent shows. The quality of the "main" show obviously bottomed out the minute it outran the source material. The idea of investing in an entire show that is only loosely inspired by the source material is not compelling.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The prequel titled, but not titled The Long Night, takes place 1000 years before GoT. Naomi Watts plays a Stark of some sort. It will be fantastic.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:54 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm I get killing Voldemort early, but what always bugged me was why the hell they set Harry up with Ron’s dorky ginger sister when Hermione was the bigger babe all along.
Hermione was a know it all nag. Always go for the redhead.
Clearly you’ve never had a scorned ginger try to kill you. (She used Avada Kedavra and everything!)

At the very least, Harry should have gone for one of those foxy fairy chicks from the French wizard school
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:54 am The prequel titled, but not titled The Long Night, takes place 1000 years before GoT. Naomi Watts plays a Stark of some sort. It will be fantastic.
I'm not sure why anyone should care about a prequel or spinoff that has to do with the fantasy elements of the show. That threat was easier to shrug off than an overdue library book notice.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

bro but that five cents a day really adds up after 1000 years.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:28 am Image
wait who's this?

either way I like how she wears a thick hood to hide her soulless red locks.