Shrooms

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Shrooms

Post by ousdahl »

In Close Vote, Denver Becomes 1st U.S. City To Decriminalize Psychedelic Mushrooms

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... ic-mushroo
Mjl

Re: Shrooms

Post by Mjl »

Cool. I'm all for this with any drug that you can't overdose on.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dunno if I agree with this one.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 am Dunno if I agree with this one.
edit to add that i didn’t click the link, but i guess it would really depend on the level of decriminalization

don’t think i’m in favor of full legalization
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Thu May 09, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

why you guys trippin?
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

How soon before they pass an ordinance in which you must have your dragons and unicorns on leashes in Denver?

Sure would be nice if the lawmakers could figure out something to do about kids getting shot in schools in the Denver area instead of worrying about if mushrooms should be legal or not.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, I guess I dunno.

on one hand, shrooms have a unique ability to completely whack someone out of their mind, perhaps more so than anything else.

but on the other hand, I'm not sure it's any more dangerous than, say, booze.

this much I can get behind:
The action doesn't legalize psilocybin mushrooms, but it effectively bars the city from prosecuting or arresting adults 21 or older who possess them. In the ballot language, adults can even grow the fungus for personal use and be considered a low priority for Denver police. The changes could take effect as soon as next year.
(heck, maybe cops focusing less on things like shrooms will give them more time to focus on things like preventing school shootings?)

this much I'm intrigued about, and will at least be cautiously optimistic:
What happened in Denver may be the start of a much larger movement, which seeks safe access to psilocybin for its purported medicinal value. Supporters point to research suggesting psilocybin is not addictive and causes few ER visits compared with other illegal drugs. Ongoing medical research shows it could be a groundbreaking medicine for treatment-resistant depression and to help curb nicotine addiction.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

I am not sure about if the benefits of psilocybin or any other mind altering drugs outweigh the negatives. Maybe the kids who did the shootings in the Denver area should have been prescribed psilocybin?
I'm being serious.
Maybe they were on some other heavy duty mind altering drugs? Maybe they went off their meds?
Not too sure if drugs are the problem or the solution. Probably neither.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Paul1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:53 am I am not sure about if the benefits of psilocybin or any other mind altering drugs outweigh the negatives. Maybe the kids who did the shootings in the Denver area should have been prescribed psilocybin?
I'm being serious.
Maybe they were on some other heavy duty mind altering drugs? Maybe they went off their meds?
Not too sure if drugs are the problem or the solution. Probably neither.
Mind-altering drugs have done a lot of good. What are you so concerned about? Shrooms are safer than Tylenol.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The effects of shrooms are not safer than Tylenol.
I've seen controlled people do some crazy shit on them.
When we took them back in the day, we'd be safe and have someone not tripping to prevent you from doing something completely idiotic. You wouldn't want someone behind the wheel who was tripping.
You know what you are getting into when you take Tylenol. You know what you are getting into when you have a beer. Or four beers.

I guess I'd agree our law enforcement dollars should be spent on other things but I would say cocaine, while addictive and bad for your body, is a safer drug in terms of behavioral change.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

back in the day? bro that was last weekend.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm The effects of shrooms are not safer than Tylenol.
I've seen controlled people do some crazy shit on them.
When we took them back in the day, we'd be safe and have someone not tripping to prevent you from doing something completely idiotic. You wouldn't want someone behind the wheel who was tripping.
You know what you are getting into when you take Tylenol. You know what you are getting into when you have a beer. Or four beers.

I guess I'd agree our law enforcement dollars should be spent on other things but I would say cocaine, while addictive and bad for your body, is a safer drug in terms of behavioral change.
much of the reason you know what you are getting with that other stuff is it comes in measured doses. You wouldn't want to drive after four beers either. A whole bottle of Tylenol could kill you.

the dosage with shrooms is often "here bro chew up this handful of shrooms." As the market becomes more legit, perhaps standardized doses and other regs will come about with it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oakland decriminalizes shrooms too, along with other shit like peyote
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Right on
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Pollan followed the article up with a more in-depth project in his book "How To Change Your Mind". A good read from the perspective of giving the history and background of the research into the subject. I didn't know that in Canada it was commonly accepted that LSD was one of the most effective treatments for alcoholism in the 1950's-60's. Prior to that the only books I had read on the subject were Huxley's "Door of Perception", which is also interesting but leaves a lot out.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

You all want to end up like Ardy? Shrooms is something that you might do when you're 17, but should not be done by responsible adults.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

lobster wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm You all want to end up like Ardy? Shrooms is something that you might do when you're 17, but should not be done by responsible adults.
Why not?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wait, let's run with it...

end up like Ardy how so?

a nihilist? a redneck? an ignoramus? in the closet? an addict? a virgin?

how did shrooms cause any of that?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

actually, how does shrooms compare when it comes to making responsible adults do irresponsible things?

are they more likely to make you miss a bill payment, or fuck up at work, or get in a fight, or get in an accident, or other irresponsible consequences than say meth or coke? or prescription opioids? or booze?