Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Facebook, Google, et al

Post by ousdahl »

It’s Time to Break Up Facebook

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/opin ... rberg.html

(Penned by Chris Hughes, one of facebook’s founders)
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by pdub »

Something needs to be done.
They are buying up any and all competition or using legal might ( $$$ ) to squash any reasonable alternatives.
And they know/collect/possess all the data about you.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah.

the article is actually a pretty good case study in how markets work.

This was an interesting bit on dat dam gummint regulation:

We don’t expect calcified rules or voluntary commissions to work to regulate drug companies, health care companies, car manufacturers or credit card providers. Agencies oversee these industries to ensure that the private market works for the public good. In these cases, we all understand that government isn’t an external force meddling in an organic market; it’s what makes a dynamic and fair market possible in the first place. This should be just as true for social networking as it is for air travel or pharmaceuticals...
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Facebook and Amazon are just completely owning, or dominating as Zuckerberg puts it, their respective areas. Amazon is turning into a monopoly in the shopping and shipping business and Facebook is doing the same with Social Media. I actually use Facebook much less than I use twitter or the internet in general.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

noosh

Post by noosh »

good luck with that
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

If you want to stick it to the man delete your account.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am Facebook and Amazon are just completely owning, or dominating as Zuckerberg puts it, their respective areas. Amazon is turning into a monopoly in the shopping and shipping business and Facebook is doing the same with Social Media. I actually use Facebook much less than I use twitter or the internet in general.
I stopped using Facebook more than a year ago. I hate what they have become and I do not support their model.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am If you want to stick it to the man delete your account.
Thanks, illy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Well, hes not wrong. Facebook only has power because people are addicted to social media. People have allowed them to have power and control.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, yeah.

that, and Facebook also derives its power from the fact they've monopolized the social media market.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I suppose that's true to some extent. But if everyone broke themselves of their social media habit as mich suggests they would have nothing to influence or monopolize. Sure, that's asking a lot I guess but it's a fact. Facebook is a cesspool of misinformation and people searching for self validation. I dont understand the draw to it. Personal opinion, I'm sure some people have more positive reasons for using it. But, I dont see the need to have a million "friends" if my friends want to talk they can call or I can call them, if you cant bother to call me to stay in touch then you're not my true friend.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Social media is a useful and powerful networking and communication tool, in itself.

But Facebook made it less about networking, and more about commercializing, with no regard for user privacy, quality, any real truth to the content shared, any real honesty in whether the users were actual users or Russian spam bots, etc.

Meanwhile, their growth model was to either acquire every competitor, or simply steal their innovations, until there’s little real competition left.

But hey, Zuckerberg succeeded in the end game of making himself filthy fucking rich, so do you think he gives a damn that everybody hates him now?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

lol
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Facebook.....
Had such a nice evening last night. Woke up in a good mood. Sun shining. Saturday. All was well in my world. Then I foolishly decided to gaze at Facebook posts this morning. Foolish me allowed what I read to turn me in to a bigger cynical asshole than I already am. Shame on me! Sad when I allow other's ignorance to affect me and my mood. Of course I shouldn't turn a blind eye to ignorance that can hurt me and/or others but no need to cater to those who spew the ignorance for the sole purpose of just trying to rile people up.
Hopefully lesson learned. Probably not.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Some sort of demented stream of consciousness haiku?
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So I try to create a new Instagram account.

First, I create a brand new email to use for it. Then I go sign up on the gram, and get an error message that that email is already in use.

So I try to login with that email and select “forgot password.” I get an error message that that email is not found in their user system.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the Facebook annual shareholder meeting sounded fun

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/xwm ... g-dictator