The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by jhawks99 »

Obviously, I wasn't there. I still kinda feel sorry for the bear.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, cant blame a bear for doing bear things.

Persobally, I would have just used brass knuckles.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

(Also, I don’t know which neighbor it was, but I hope it wasn’t some instance of like “let’s leave a bowl of dog food out in our open garage then act like the victim when wildlife gets into it”
shindig

Post by shindig »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:13 am He couldn't have just shot a warning to scare it?
No shit...what a moron. Some people just feel the need to kill animals. If you live in the mountains, expect bears. It would be different if the bear was attacking him, but it was probably just looking for food. And what if the bear has cubs...now what? Dumb shit people.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

^^^^^
Deleted User 89

not really outdoors, but a zookeeper was attacked by a tiger at the top city zoo
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

shit!

also, I meant to comment re: what if the bear has cubs...

I was watching this thing on feral pigs in the southeast. Apparently the best approach is to set traps big enough to capture the entire sounder, cuz they're so efficient at reproducing, and cuz just one still fucks things up.

Anywho, so in one case two cute little 4-week old pigs got free from the trap. They were on their own in the wild with coyotes and foxes and bobcats active in the area. They also never knew a diet of anything but milk. They survived just fine for several months until they were trapped again.

4 weeks! But that's just pigs, and feral pigs at that. I imagine most other mammals are much more helpless at that age.

So who knows about bears. I imagine if cubs WERE gonna make it on their own in the wild, it would be a damn shame if the last thing they learned from mom was to look for food in garages.

also sounder is apparently a fancy term for a herd of pigs.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 amI'm packing up in the driveway when a wildlife officer walks by. Apparently my neighbor had a bear trying to get into his garage last night, so he shot it and wounded it. They're releasing a team of hounds in the neighborhood trying to find it so they can put it down.
https://www.skyhinews.com/news/cpw-euth ... t-of-2019/
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:14 pm shit!

also, I meant to comment re: what if the bear has cubs...

I was watching this thing on feral pigs in the southeast. Apparently the best approach is to set traps big enough to capture the entire sounder, cuz they're so efficient at reproducing, and cuz just one still fucks things up.

Anywho, so in one case two cute little 4-week old pigs got free from the trap. They were on their own in the wild with coyotes and foxes and bobcats active in the area. They also never knew a diet of anything but milk. They survived just fine for several months until they were trapped again.

4 weeks! But that's just pigs, and feral pigs at that. I imagine most other mammals are much more helpless at that age.

So who knows about bears. I imagine if cubs WERE gonna make it on their own in the wild, it would be a damn shame if the last thing they learned from mom was to look for food in garages.

also sounder is apparently a fancy term for a herd of pigs.
Bacon!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62TQSkOIEKw
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ha!

those were the vids!

the entire time I was watching them I was thinking, this belongs in the bbq thread.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:14 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 amI'm packing up in the driveway when a wildlife officer walks by. Apparently my neighbor had a bear trying to get into his garage last night, so he shot it and wounded it. They're releasing a team of hounds in the neighborhood trying to find it so they can put it down.
https://www.skyhinews.com/news/cpw-euth ... t-of-2019/
so let's recap:

- while the neighbor had experienced previous bear conflicts, and could quickly anticipate the noise was yet another bear, he couldn't anticipate just locking the damn garage door.

- I like how the paper reported in quotation marks the part about how “felt cornered between the bear and his house”

- I just happened to go fishing on the Fraser behind the fire station yesterday, go figure

- I appreciate that they're not letting the bear's remains go to waste

- I kinda wanna go to the town bored or whatever and propose an ordinance for bear-proof trash cans. We've had bears get into ours, even in the couple-hour window from the time we put it out to the time the garbage truck comes.

- while I understand the CPW policies, and why the homeowner reacted in the way he did, I also still can't help but wonder who's really the victim here.
Deleted User 89

the bear is the victim
Deleted User 89

long-time Wild Kingdom host, Jim Fowler died...RIP

despite many of their scenes being staged, i appreciate having experienced WK growing up...was really my first introduction to the outdoors and biodiversity outside of my own backyard
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We used to watch that every Sunday when I was a kid. Followed by the Wonderful World of Disney.

And who says they were staged?
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

i've heard of the staging previously, but i'll do some more digging (not all that confident in these sources)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/18729/5- ... ld-kingdom

wild america too...

https://drbeetle.homestead.com/stouffer.html

edit: https://www.audubon.org/magazine/march- ... arped-view

Inspired by Disney were Marlin Perkins, host of Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom (premiering in 1963), and Marty Stouffer, host of the Public Broadcasting Service’s Wild America (premiering in 1982). Like Disney they were pioneers working in a standards vacuum, but they set a new bar for nature fakery. Perkins was forever having his young assistants lasso and wrestle terrified tame animals to “rescue” them. “They were totally ruthless,” Wyoming cinematographer Wolfgang Bayer told the Denver Post. “They would throw a mountain lion into a river and film it going over a waterfall.”Wild Kingdom still airs on Animal Planet. Stouffer was no less brazen. In 1995—after he was fined $300,000 for cutting an illegal trail through the property of the Aspen Center for Environmental Studies to his illegal hunting camp on Forest Service land—his staffers began opening up to the press, reporting, for example, that he staged fatal confrontations between predators and prey. In his film Dangerous Encounters, a cougar is shown “attacking” a cross-country skier. It’s a playful pet roughhousing with its owner. Stouffer is still cashing in on Wild America episodes and Dangerous Encounters through Amazon.com and other outlets.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I saw a total of 9 moose yesterday
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:19 am I saw a total of 9 moose yesterday
That's a lot...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I thought it was called a herd.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:19 am I saw a total of 9 moose yesterday

Mooose
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

just returned from a week in the Black Hills

no bighorn or elk, but plenty of mountain goats and, of course, bison and prairie dogs

got a bit of fishing in and killed it (literally). will post pics asap