I believe her

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: I believe her

Post by ousdahl »

Kinda crazy that, even despite the reputation of potus, and in the era of the #metoo movement, Trump and the GOP couldn’t not find a scotus candidate with multiple allegations of sex assault.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Mjl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:53 am
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:23 am the question was about education...but you knew that

talk about ignorance. prove your own point?
My point was that education is irrelevant where that question is concerned. It is just another canard that libs use to make themselves feel (falsely) superior.
I get what you're saying and realize it has become a common Republican mindset, but find it really disturbing. Studying, learning, and being surrounded by people with diverse backgrounds and views has become villified and considered brainwashing.
That's frightening and backwards.
I've always felt that genetics plays a larger role in how people view the world and make decisions than any style of upbringing or training. Our 'guts' make more final decisions than our brains. Disclaimer: I know nothing about psychology and I have no idea whether Psychology Today is considered a credible source by authorities in that field, but here is one professional's opinion.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ng-support
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:40 am

My point was that education is irrelevant where that question is concerned. It is just another canard that libs use to make themselves feel (falsely) superior.
I get what you're saying and realize it has become a common Republican mindset, but find it really disturbing. Studying, learning, and being surrounded by people with diverse backgrounds and views has become villified and considered brainwashing.
To the contrary, I am not vilifying education at all. I make my living as an educator, and wouldn’t put up with the stresses and irritations that go with the work if I did not believe in its value. At the same time, I see and hear evidence on a daily basis that suggests that critical thinking skills, and even common sense, are sorely lacking in most “educated” people today. They simply substitute strident emotionalism and a concoction of poorly-thought-out social justice ideals for real dialogue and logical thought.

If you want to get a glimpse into what I’m talking about, look up Steven Crowder’s “Change my Mind” segment from last week at TCU. He simply asks students to convince him that the “rape culture”really exists. He is calm and polite, and once the kids realize they have no factual arguments, they devolve into a crying, screeching, profane tantrum and demand that campus police have him removed, despite the fact that he is on a public sidewalk and is not harassing anyone. It would be comical, if it were not so sad that these kids’ parents are paying $35,000 a year for their “education”.
And you feel that critical thinking skills and common sense are thriving in the less educated portion of our society? Trump was over on the hillbilly side of the river here yesterday, leading a mob of mouth breathers through "lock her up" chants for Clinton and Feinstein.

Your TCU example is ridiculous. Putting a bunch of random kids on the street in that situation proves nothing other than that college kids brains are unorganized and fueled by emotion, caffeine and lack of sleep.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

defixione wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am

I've always felt that genetics plays a larger role in how people view the world and make decisions than any style of upbringing or training. Our 'guts' make more final decisions than our brains. Disclaimer: I know nothing about psychology and I have no idea whether Psychology Today is considered a credible source by authorities in that field, but here is one professional's opinion.

Reading "Emergenetics" right now for work, which is a way to measure your preferences in 4 thinking attributes (analytical, structural, conceptual, social) and 3 behavioral attributes (expressiveness, flexibility and assertiveness).

We all have brains that are wired different and we all have a different mix of ingredients in the biological stew contained within our skin. Add more of a certain hormone and more connections in a certain portion of your brain and you're more predisposed to view interactions in a social manner (how does this impact others). Have a different level of some chemical and more wires in a different part of the brain and you tend to see the world more analytically (the logic, data and reasonings behind an interaction).

It's all a pretty fascinating concept when applied. I'd love to see if certain emergenetics profiles are more predisposed to the right leaning platform vs. the left leaning platform. We do our profiles at the end of the month; should be interesting.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

nature vs. nurture, of course

and the balance likely isn’t the same for all

that said, there is much truth to the idea that we are products of our environment
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 am
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:40 am

To the contrary, I am not vilifying education at all. I make my living as an educator, and wouldn’t put up with the stresses and irritations that go with the work if I did not believe in its value. At the same time, I see and hear evidence on a daily basis that suggests that critical thinking skills, and even common sense, are sorely lacking in most “educated” people today. They simply substitute strident emotionalism and a concoction of poorly-thought-out social justice ideals for real dialogue and logical thought.

If you want to get a glimpse into what I’m talking about, look up Steven Crowder’s “Change my Mind” segment from last week at TCU. He simply asks students to convince him that the “rape culture”really exists. He is calm and polite, and once the kids realize they have no factual arguments, they devolve into a crying, screeching, profane tantrum and demand that campus police have him removed, despite the fact that he is on a public sidewalk and is not harassing anyone. It would be comical, if it were not so sad that these kids’ parents are paying $35,000 a year for their “education”.
And you feel that critical thinking skills and common sense are thriving in the less educated portion of our society? Trump was over on the hillbilly side of the river here yesterday, leading a mob of mouth breathers through "lock her up" chants for Clinton and Feinstein.

Your TCU example is ridiculous. Putting a bunch of random kids on the street in that situation proves nothing other than that college kids brains are unorganized and fueled by emotion, caffeine and lack of sleep.
Nope. Simply pointing out that education is not a panacea nor is it an immunization against faulty thinking. The behavior of the TCU students was ridiculous. It was also entirely consistent with what I see and hear on my campus every day. It is the rule much more than the exception.

You can diminish and marginalize people you view as inferior to yourself by referring to them as “mouth breathers” and “hillbillies,” but they are human beings whose hopes and dreams matter as much as yours. The fact that Trump is smart enough to recognize and capitalize on that fact speaks to his intelligence regardless of what you think of his character.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

defixione wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am

Oh shit. No wonder Creamcheese is always talking about wanting options on the short side.

It all makes sense now.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 am Kinda crazy that, even despite the reputation of potus, and in the era of the #metoo movement, Trump and the GOP couldn’t not find a scotus candidate with multiple allegations of sex assault.
Come on, now. We both know that it wouldn't have mattered who Trump nominated, Soros and his puppets would have mustered up a bevy of false accusations to gum up the works. Anyone can make an allegation, and there are plenty of mentally unbalanced attention whores out there who are glad to do it if the price is right.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 am Kinda crazy that, even despite the reputation of potus, and in the era of the #metoo movement, Trump and the GOP couldn’t not find a scotus candidate with multiple allegations of sex assault.
Come on, now. We both know that it wouldn't have mattered who Trump nominated, Soros and his puppets would have mustered up a bevy of false accusations to gum up the works. Anyone can make an allegation, and there are plenty of mentally unbalanced attention whores out there who are glad to do it if the price is right.
Gorsuch?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

So when Donald Trump raged against the Centeal Park Five and still refuses to admit they were exonerated, or makes statements about Mexico sending rapists, that’s about being more rational than random college students and it’s not about “rape culture”.
Don't inject Lysol.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23 pm
Gorsuch?
We've been down this road. Gorsuch wasn't a threat to the swing vote for the Dems. We will see the same strategy used when Ruth Bader Ginsburg shuffles off this mortal coil any day now and Amy Coney Barrett is nominated. It may not be sexual assault, but it will be the same level of vitriol and ruthless character assassination.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I missed the breaking news that Ford was paid by Soros etc... to make her claims. Link?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:08 pm
I missed the breaking news that Ford was paid by Soros etc... to make her claims. Link?
As you are well aware, Soros works behind the scenes. Interesting how the involvement of a well-known manipulator of world events stretches your credulity, but not the unfounded claims of a mentally-ill woman against a man with a record of spotless character, both personally and professionally.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

George Soros and Charles Koch both just called me to say they didn't do it.

Whatever it is.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm George Soros and Charles Koch both just called me to say they didn't do it.

Whatever it is.
Well, I can’t prove that they didn’t, so you must be telling the truth. #alwaysbelieveDC
Deleted User 62

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 pm

As you are well aware, Soros works behind the scenes. Interesting how the involvement of a well-known manipulator of world events stretches your credulity, but not the unfounded claims of a mentally-ill woman against a man with a record of spotless character, both personally and professionally.
How do you draw the conclusion that Dr. Ford is mentally ill?
Deleted User 62

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm George Soros and Charles Koch both just called me to say they didn't do it.

Whatever it is.
POTD
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:53 pm

She’s either mentally ill or an organized sociopath. I read an article on Wikipedia or earned a PhD in the field, I forget which.
Deleted User 62

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 pm

She’s either mentally ill or an organized sociopath. I read an article on Wikipedia or earned a PhD in the field, I forget which.
Hard to believe anything other than Wikipedia, seeing that you are diagnosing someone without treating them.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:01 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Hard to believe anything other than Wikipedia, seeing that you are diagnosing someone without treating them.
It is an educated impression, not a diagnosis.