Ugh.
ousdahl

Civility in politics

Post by ousdahl »

will we ever sees it again?
imzcount

Re: Civility in politics

Post by imzcount »

Now the left wants "civility" that they are completely neutered. Typical.

Keep up the tears.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Yes, (maybe) around the middle of January, 2025. (That is if the Democrats can pull off a win and they stop the whining.)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Lord.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I think we saw some on Friday. Three GOP Senators (Blake, Collins, Murkowski) and perhaps three Democrats (Manchin, Donnelly, Heitkamp) formed a coalition and got something for both sides of the aisle. Small steps. GOP wanted a vote on Tuesday. Dems wanted a FBI Investigation. Each got something. Maybe vote on Friday or Saturday. Not as deep as they wanted but the FBI is on the job asking questions. This all came about with Senator Flakes and Senator Coons being friends. A GOP and a Dem. It was give and take. I have hope for the Senate. I wish that Flakes had also included all of the Democrats on the Judiciary Committee to votes with him based on the FBI Report. If the FBI Report is substantially the same findings of the Committee's Investigators, then all of the Flake Gang votes with Senator Flake. All 10 of the Democrats from the Judiciary (Feinstein, Harris, Booker, Durbin, Coons, Whitehorse, etc) vote for Kavanaugh on the Floor Vote with the before mentioned Flake Gang. If the FBI Reports comes back different, then Flake and the Gang vote NO.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

Trump is the only thing uncivil about politics today...... Everyone else plays the game as they always have.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

RussianHawk wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:58 pm Trump is the only thing uncivil about politics today...... Everyone else plays the game as they always have.
In other words, Trump doesn’t pretend like it’s a system that benefits the average voter.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 pm I think we saw some on Friday. Three GOP Senators (Blake, Collins, Murkowski) and perhaps three Democrats (Manchin, Donnelly, Heitkamp) formed a coalition and got something for both sides of the aisle. Small steps. GOP wanted a vote on Tuesday. Dems wanted a FBI Investigation. Each got something. Maybe vote on Friday or Saturday. Not as deep as they wanted but the FBI is on the job asking questions. This all came about with Senator Flakes and Senator Coons being friends. A GOP and a Dem. It was give and take. I have hope for the Senate. I wish that Flakes had also included all of the Democrats on the Judiciary Committee to votes with him based on the FBI Report. If the FBI Report is substantially the same findings of the Committee's Investigators, then all of the Flake Gang votes with Senator Flake. All 10 of the Democrats from the Judiciary (Feinstein, Harris, Booker, Durbin, Coons, Whitehorse, etc) vote for Kavanaugh on the Floor Vote with the before mentioned Flake Gang. If the FBI Reports comes back different, then Flake and the Gang vote NO.
Leahy, Harris, Whitehorse, Blumenthal, Klobuchar are all former prosecutors. The likelihood of a former prosecutor voting for a man they know--without an FBI investigation--has lied repeatedly and lied in the hearing on Friday to serve on the highest court in the land--unlikely.
Don't inject Lysol.
Lonestarjayhawk

RussianHawk wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:58 pm Trump is the only thing uncivil about politics today...... Everyone else plays the game as they always have.
No it has changed. Scalia got 98 votes to confirm. Even in the President Obama nominees Sotomayor got 68 YES votes and Kagan got 63. Maybe it changed with Garland. Maybe it changed with the fifth Conservative vote going on the SCOTUS. But it changed.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

seahawk wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:07 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 pm I think we saw some on Friday. Three GOP Senators (Blake, Collins, Murkowski) and perhaps three Democrats (Manchin, Donnelly, Heitkamp) formed a coalition and got something for both sides of the aisle. Small steps. GOP wanted a vote on Tuesday. Dems wanted a FBI Investigation. Each got something. Maybe vote on Friday or Saturday. Not as deep as they wanted but the FBI is on the job asking questions. This all came about with Senator Flakes and Senator Coons being friends. A GOP and a Dem. It was give and take. I have hope for the Senate. I wish that Flakes had also included all of the Democrats on the Judiciary Committee to votes with him based on the FBI Report. If the FBI Report is substantially the same findings of the Committee's Investigators, then all of the Flake Gang votes with Senator Flake. All 10 of the Democrats from the Judiciary (Feinstein, Harris, Booker, Durbin, Coons, Whitehorse, etc) vote for Kavanaugh on the Floor Vote with the before mentioned Flake Gang. If the FBI Reports comes back different, then Flake and the Gang vote NO.
Leahy, Harris, Whitehorse, Blumenthal, Klobuchar are all former prosecutors. The likelihood of a former prosecutor voting for a man they know--without an FBI investigation--has lied repeatedly and lied in the hearing on Friday to serve on the highest court in the land--unlikely.
As a former prosecutor, shouldn't Leahy be in jail?
Lonestarjayhawk

If you are right that Democrats didn't need a FBI Investigation to decide...why did they beg for it? If they came in with a closed mind then vote and let the chips fall where they may. Does sound very tolerant for your tribe to decide before the actual facts are confirmed.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Kavanaugh doesn't need their freakin' votes!
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:11 pm
No it has changed. Scalia got 98 votes to confirm. Even in the President Obama nominees Sotomayor got 68 YES votes and Kagan got 63. Maybe it changed with Garland. Maybe it changed with the fifth Conservative vote going on the SCOTUS. But it changed.
I think what Russian meant is that the "Lion of the Senate" (Yikes@#metoo!: https://www.gq.com/story/kennedy-ted-senator-profile) destroyed civility 31 years ago when he attacked Robert Bork on the Senate floor. And the Left never looked back.
Lonestarjayhawk

Who came up with #metoo? 50% of Americans think # = POUND
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Still not over the asshole Bork.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:34 pm Still not over the asshole Biden.
Good point.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man, I was hoping to hold out for some more snarky conservative zingers before actually attempting civil discussion, but let's just get into it.

Trump is arguably the most extreme example of a lack of civility in politics, and very well may have changed the game. But is he a cause or a symptom? Weren't things getting ugly before he got into politics?

and what's something that both wings can agree on? 1 percenters are too rich and average joes is too poor? whatever happened to that occupy wall street movement anyway?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:20 am man, I was hoping to hold out for some more snarky conservative zingers before actually attempting civil discussion, but let's just get into it.

Trump is arguably the most extreme example of a lack of civility in politics, and very well may have changed the game. But is he a cause or a symptom? Weren't things getting ugly before he got into politics?

and what's something that both wings can agree on? 1 percenters are too rich and average joes is too poor? whatever happened to that occupy wall street movement anyway?
I think this is something a majority of people would agree with, but that only goes so far.

To answer the topic question: I don't know. I don't know how we can pull back from the team-sportsification of politics (where there absolutely must be a winner and a loser, and highlights/scores are shown constantly).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I suppose a lot is on the media.

OWS had critical mass in a lot of places, but they were always dismissed in the (big rich corporate) news, because the real story was Obama's birth certificate...
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

jfish, my impression watching politics in this particular election cycle is that people are paying less attention to the national noise and deciding on local issues from their own district/state. That is a big change from recent elections and probably a good start. Although there are teams at the local level, there is also a lot of crossing of party lines to get things done.

In the end, politics really is all local, but the electorate has not fully accepted that somewhat for awhile. This cycle seems to be returning to earlier times, maybe because people are just tired of the national circus. Maybe because there are tons of female candidates, who tend to be more focused on details and local policy issues.
Don't inject Lysol.