Weary o Winning

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Weary o Winning

Post by Shirley »

Fernanda Jacqueline Davila, in Tegucigalapa, Honduras, earlier this year, has been in government custody since she was taken from her grandmother at the border in late July.

A 2-Year-Old’s Day in Immigration Court

The youngest child to come before the bench in federal immigration courtroom No. 14 was so small she had to be lifted into the chair. Even the judge in her black robes breathed a soft “aww” as her latest case perched on the brown leather.

Her feet stuck out from the seat in small gray sneakers, her legs too short to dangle. Her fists were stuffed under her knees. As soon as the caseworker who had sat her there turned to go, she let out a whimper that rose to a thin howl, her crumpled face a bursting dam.

The girl, Fernanda Jacqueline Davila, was 2 years old: brief life, long journey. The caseworker, a big-boned man from the shelter that had been contracted to raise her since she was taken from her grandmother at the border in late July, was the only person in the room she had met before that day.

“How old are you?” the judge asked, after she had motioned for the caseworker to return to Fernanda’s side and the tears had stopped. “Do you speak Spanish?”
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Geezer

Re: Weary o Winning

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Yup. Whatever you do, don’t blame Grandma for breaking the law and putting the little girl in that position in the first place.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Taking them from their families is terrible. They should find a way around it....but you also can't have kids in cells with possible criminals, and they all get put together. They should find a good way to hold families and keep them together, somehow.

Taking them away from people who can't be verified as someone who is supposed to have them is about the only responsible thing to do if human trafficking or kidnapping is suspected. It doesn't sound like that's the case in the story above, and that's tragic, but not every case is like the little girl above.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 pm Yup. Whatever you do, don’t blame Grandma for breaking the law and putting the little girl in that position in the first place.
You should go spend a week in Honduras
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

and even if you wanna blame g’ma, is that reason enough to make the kid suffer?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 pm Yup. Whatever you do, don’t blame Grandma for breaking the law and putting the little girl in that position in the first place.
Whatever you do, read the entire article.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 62

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:48 pm and even if you wanna blame g’ma, is that reason enough to make the kid suffer?
Depends....do you have a trust?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

How is it that the UN can house 15k Syrians of all ages, in plastic tents, in the dessert, in a single camp in Turkey, But we have to break up children and parents and pay swindlers mega (maga?) bucks and the wee tiny children are kept with the creepy ones?
Seriously, if Trump thinks getting Mexico to pay for his wall is reasonable, why doesnt he tell the UN to pay and proctor the refugees trying to get across the US southern border?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 pm
You should go spend a week in Honduras
I’m good, thanks. Also not interested in turning the U.S. into Honduras or a version of it.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Amazing to me that anyone who considers themselves a Christian can justify this behavior.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:04 am Amazing to me that anyone who considers themselves a Christian can justify this behavior.
You may be more of an authority on what it means to be Christian, but it seems to me that Christianity and common sense are not mutually exclusive.

Drug lords will expand their territory as far as they are allowed. If we abandon our laws and borders, we can no longer protect our citizens. If we don't protect and control our borders, we will be absorbed by the drug lords. If we are absorbed by them, we lose our ability to help anybody else. In the end, we become an extension of Honduras.

But there I go thinking again.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Delusional.
Deleted User 62

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:32 am
chiknbut wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:04 am Amazing to me that anyone who considers themselves a Christian can justify this behavior.
You may be more of an authority on what it means to be Christian, but it seems to me that Christianity and common sense are not mutually exclusive.

Drug lords will expand their territory as far as they are allowed. If we abandon our laws and borders, we can no longer protect our citizens. If we don't protect and control our borders, we will be absorbed by the drug lords. If we are absorbed by them, we lose our ability to help anybody else. In the end, we become an extension of Honduras.

I am not sure about the thinking....but this is one of the dumbest things you have said in a while.

On this site at least.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:33 am

I am not sure about the thinking....but this is one of the dumbest things you have said in a while.

On this site at least.
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

North Dakota soybean farmers, caught in the trade war, watch the season run out on their crop

For the past decade, North American soybean production has exploded, driven by an intense demand from China. Peterson and other Great Plains farmers directly fed the overseas markets, harvesting more than 243 million bushels in North Dakota, at a price of $2.1 billion in the last market year. The majority of that crop fattened Chinese livestock.

But in July, the Trump administration announced 10 percent tariffs on more than $200 billion of imported Chinese goods. Beijing responded with tariffs on $60 billion of American products — including soybeans.

The escalation essentially hit pause on what had been a rollicking international market for North Dakota’s farmers. When Peterson pulls his soybeans from the ground, he’ll have no one to sell most of them to.

The federal government has announced up to $12 billion in relief;
Anand Giridharadas
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

On this site at least.
Ok. Please explain to me how an open borders policy is to my benefit, then. How does continuing to look the other way whil hundreds of thousands of people come pouring in every year make my life better?
Deleted User 62

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:00 pm

On this site at least.
Ok. Please explain to me how an open borders policy is to my benefit, then. How does continuing to look the other way whil hundreds of thousands of people come pouring in every year make my life better?
You built the situation up to be a lot worse than that in your original post.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:55 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:00 pm

On this site at least.
You built the situation up to be a lot worse than that in your original post.
So, if we agree that it is a detriment to U.S. citizens, then what we’re arguing is degree?