Another mass shooting

Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by TDub »

Geezer wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 pm Do the deer get a vote on the over population number?
Ah yes. Because animals dont die to make your grocery store food.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Meanwhile, back at the base...

NRA execs spend lavishly on themselves, while pensions are cut, staffers struggle to afford a living, and the culture of fear dominates:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/15/72296041 ... at-nonprof
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

TDub wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm Well, I’m not sure you’re fully recognizing guns for the tool they are if you don’t also recognize how dangerous they can be - much more so than your average garden rake or monkey wrench.

And no we can’t blame guns for the deficiencies in our society, but we can blame guns for escalating deficiencies in our society into much bigger problems than they have to be.

And hunters are a considerable demographic among gun owners, but the overall gun culture seems defined much more so by paranoia and stubborn entitlement.

I mean for every guy who simply says “yeah I keep one around for deer season,” how many more are screaming FROM MY COLD DEAD NEEDLEDICK i mean HANDS!
I think you might be getting a bit frenzied ousy. But at least you make an effort at discussion.
I'm glad to see you respond this way. I teased you because you seem incapable of seeing anyone else's opinion on gun control. Even with this great response from Ousdahl you feel the need to call him "frenzied." You know, it is possible that both guns AND people are a problem in our society. How about we work a bit harder on dealing with mental health issues in this country AND make it a bit more restrictive to own guns, just to be on the safe side?

It's not going to keep you from owning guns to hunt with. You apparently are one of the good guys who own a gun. Congrats. I'm happy for you.

But maybe, just maybe, if we try to understand the psychology of why some people horde guns vs. those who are considered sportsmen, perhaps we can stop a few disturbed individuals from shooting up a school or turning a gun on themselves.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Geezer wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 pm Do the deer get a vote on the over population number?
Ah yes. Because animals dont die to make your grocery store food.
potd

I bet he typed that while wearing leather shoes and a leather belt with a leather wallet in his back pocket.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

you forgot assless leather chaps!

wait nm
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I put the ass, in assless leather chaps.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

In the 10 minutes that I watch Morning Joe while getting ready in the morning, heard Joe Scarborough on a rant about the NRA. His point was that there are 3 lobbyists who run the NRA, who don't have the interests of either the membership, hunters, or the country in general at heart. He reiterated facts and figures that most of the NRA membership is in agreement with some basics like universal background checks and closing gun show loopholes. He also talked about how the NRA has changed from a sportsmen's organization to one run by 3 lobbyists.

We talk about mental health, while the NRA has spent a lot of time trying to get laws that control gun availability to those with mental health problems repealed. Perhaps the current crisis of the NRA will loosen the lobbyists' grip on the organization and the organization's grip on American politics and we can stop some of the rhetoric about owning guns. Currently, it's a very toxic group that doesn't much represent most gun owners or hunters.
Don't inject Lysol.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Beto O'Rourke with a fairly simple statement of policies that might help with gun violence:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinio ... 854698.php
Don't inject Lysol.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The only thing missing from Beto’s proposals is regulating purchases of “large quantity” of ammunition.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Geezer wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 pm If Sandy Hook doesn't move the gun control needle, nothing will.

Price of second amendment is nearly 40,000 lives a year.
and growing...
Deleted User 89

Mjl wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:44 pm
Geezer wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 pm If Sandy Hook doesn't move the gun control needle, nothing will.

Price of second amendment is nearly 40,000 lives a year.
Over half of those are suicides - there are plenty of alternatives if guns weren't around.

The "common sense gun laws" wouldn't prevent most of these. If someone wants to go kill a bunch of people, they can take a few hand guns and do it. Most of these highly-publicized killings are people using guns that would still be legally obtained given most "common sense law" suggestions. You've gotta either go all-out like Australia did, or just live with it as a cost of the freedom of people being able to arm themselves.
the increase in resources for mental health would almost assuredly impact gun-related suicides
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 pm Why do we need regulations for fatness now? Why cant people be responsible for their own decisions. Noone is forcing that double bacon butter cheeseburger down anyones throat.
because the rest of us have to pay for it
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:43 pm And if we may expand on the analogy of cars, consider drunk driving. To mitigate accidents caused by as much, gummints imposed stricter penalties, DUI checkpoints, awareness campaigns, etc. and, whaddya know, DUI accidents and deaths decreased because of it.
i've made that analogy before on here...it falls on deaf ears
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 am Ok this is obviously an endless discussion. Cant argue with a wall so I'll bow out of here (for real this time) and let y'all get back to your antigun circle jerk.

Land of the free indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVkTmnJkAN8
Deleted User 89

at least 11 dead at virginia beach shooting

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/31/us/virgi ... index.html
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Thoughts and prayers to Virginia Beach.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

murica
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Nevermind
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remember that time the pro-life crowd increasingly restricted access to guns and stacked the Supreme Court to overturn the 2nd Amendment?

Me neither.