Another mass shooting

Ugh.
DrPepper

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by DrPepper »

$55 million does not seem like much. Gun companies (the NRA's major benefactor) have been making HUGE profits since the scare tactics started in earnest, right?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

$55,000,000 is $55,000,000

NRA losing money is a good thing right?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:05 pm $55 million does not seem like much. Gun companies (the NRA's major benefactor) have been making HUGE profits since the scare tactics started in earnest, right?
Withoit a Dem in the Oval Office, you cam't scare people into thinking that they won't be able to buy guns and gun sales have dropped. Several US gun manufacturers have reported serious losses as well. With less revenue, these gun companies have less to donate to the NRA as well.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 am $55,000,000 is $55,000,000

NRA losing money is a good thing right?
Yes.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:35 am
DrPepper wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:05 pm $55 million does not seem like much. Gun companies (the NRA's major benefactor) have been making HUGE profits since the scare tactics started in earnest, right?
Withoit a Dem in the Oval Office, you cam't scare people into thinking that they won't be able to buy guns
I mean that sounds really good, but I don't think very many avid gun owners rushed out to buy "extra" guns because of Obama. You can only fire 1 or 2 weapons at a time, so having 400 guns is overrated unless you're a gun collector.....stocking up on ammo would be more likely than buying extra guns.

The truth lies somewhere in between. Gun sales are dropping because the younger generations are not as interested in firearms as the older generations. Almost every 50 year old I know closely owns a gun. I'd estimate maybe 1 in 6 of my friends under 35 own a gun. And if they're not hunters then that number drops significantly. I only know a few non-hunters who have firearms for "home protection".
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i know at least two people that went out and bought more guns because they thought the gov't was going to restrict their ability to purchase in the future
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 am i know at least two people that went out and bought more guns because they thought the gov't was going to restrict their ability to purchase in the future
I probably know 100. Tejas.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:14 am
Withoit a Dem in the Oval Office, you cam't scare people into thinking that they won't be able to buy guns
I mean that sounds really good, but I don't think very many avid gun owners rushed out to buy "extra" guns because of Obama. You can only fire 1 or 2 weapons at a time, so having 400 guns is overrated unless you're a gun collector.....stocking up on ammo would be more likely than buying extra guns.

The truth lies somewhere in between. Gun sales are dropping because the younger generations are not as interested in firearms as the older generations. Almost every 50 year old I know closely owns a gun. I'd estimate maybe 1 in 6 of my friends under 35 own a gun. And if they're not hunters then that number drops significantly. I only know a few non-hunters who have firearms for "home protection".
You should go do some research on this before you talk about what "the truth" of it is. Gun and ammo sales went through the roof every time there was a scare that Obama was going to pass legislation to "get my guns". I know numerous people my age here in Nebraska who purchased multiple guns, especially AR-15s, because they were concerned they wouldn't be able to buy them in the future.

The data is out there. Go look at it instead of guessing and calling it "the truth".
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:20 am

You should go do some research on this before you talk about what "the truth" of it is. Gun and ammo sales went through the roof every time there was a scare that Obama was going to pass legislation to "get my guns". I know numerous people my age here in Nebraska who purchased multiple guns, especially AR-15s, because they were concerned they wouldn't be able to buy them in the future.

The data is out there. Go look at it instead of guessing and calling it "the truth".
....so younger generations aren't less interested in guns than older generations? Hmmm.....

Maybe you should do some research too.

There are A LOT of guns other than AR-15s you know....
Deleted User 89

for both of you...

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/ ... ownership/

...Three-in-ten American adults say they currently own a gun, and another 11% say they don’t personally own a gun but live with someone who does. Among those who don’t currently own a gun, about half say they could see themselves owning one in the future.

Gun ownership is more common among men than women, and white men are particularly likely to be gun owners. Among those who live in rural areas, 46% say they are gun owners, compared with 28% of those who live in the suburbs and 19% in urban areas. There are also significant differences across parties, with Republican and Republican-leaning independents more than twice as likely as Democrats and those who lean Democratic to say they own a gun (44% vs. 20%).

For many adults who own guns, exposure to guns happened at an early age. About two-thirds of current gun owners (67%) say there were guns in their household growing up, and 76% report that they first fired a gun before they were 18. While non-gun owners are less likely to have grown up in a gun-owning household, a substantial share (40%) say this is the case, and about six-in-ten (61%) say they have fired a gun...

...Like the gender gap, the education gap in gun ownership is particularly pronounced among whites. Overall, about three-in-ten adults with a high school diploma or less (31%) and 34% of those with some college education say they own a gun; a quarter of those with a bachelor’s degree or more say the same. Among whites, about four-in-ten of those with a high school diploma or less (40%) or with some college (42%) are gun owners, compared with roughly a quarter of white college graduates (26%). There is no significant difference in the rate of gun ownership across educational attainment among nonwhites...

...Among all current and past gun owners, the average age at which Americans say they first became gun owners is 22 years. Nearly four-in-ten current or past gun owners (37%) report that they were younger than 18 when they first got their own gun.

Current or past gun-owners who grew up with guns in their household report that they first became gun owners at an earlier age than those who didn’t grow up in a gun-owning household.

About half of those who grew up with guns (47%) say they were younger than 18 when they first got their own gun, compared with 19% of those who didn’t grow up with guns in their household.

Among men who own or have owned a gun and who grew up in a gun-owning household, 61% say they personally became gun owners before they turned 18; a quarter of women in the same group say they were younger than 18 when they first got their own gun. On average, men who grew up in a gun-owning household report that they first got their own gun when they were 17, compared with an average age of 26 for women who grew up with guns in their household.

Overall, men who currently own guns or who have done so in the past report that they first became gun owners at age 19, on average; for women who own or previously owned guns, that age is 27...

and...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/623 ... us-by-age/

and...older, but more to the immediate discussion

http://www.people-press.org/2013/03/12/ ... ographics/

Deleted User 89

oddly enough, i can't find any stats that have a breakdown of ownership by age, through time

illy, what you got to back your claim? (anecdotes don't count)
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:52 am oddly enough, i can't find any stats that have a breakdown of ownership by age, through time

illy, what you got to back your claim? (anecdotes don't count)
Your 2nd graph seems to show that... (and thanks for sharing that stuff, lots of interesting tid bits in there!)

% of people under 30 who personally own a gun is 16%.

% of people 50-64 & 65+ who personally own a gun is 29% & 30%.

I think that trend will continue...

I remember having toy guns as a kid. My kids do not have ANY toy guns. It's not like I made some strict choice about that, I just don't think they need them. Especially in today's world. With all the school shootings people 30 and under have experienced in their lifetime I thinks it's natural (and a good sign) that they'd be less likely to be "gun enthusiasts".
Deleted User 75

Broken link? Or behind a pay wall?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:52 am (anecdotes don't count)
You new here?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:06 am
Broken link? Or behind a pay wall?

Add the “L” at the end of HTM.

It’s simply Chicago’s weekend shooting report. It’s a fun over/under game each week.

74 people shot this weekend.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

We've got different ideas of fun!
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Who to believe, You, or the lady co-owner of the local gun store, who told me several times how alarmed she was at all the people coming in to buy guns because of Obama. She was shocked that even women were buying guns.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 75

seahawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:48 pm
Who to believe, You, or the lady co-owner of the local gun store, who told me several times how alarmed she was at all the people coming in to buy guns because of Obama. She was shocked that even women were buying guns.
I'd believe her since she's in the industry. Although I have no clue why her gender was relevant, but that's your thing.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/data-statistics
Deleted User 75

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/ ... es-record/

Interesting info. Some of it surprised me!