Unfortunately not anytime soon i dont believe
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:18 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:01 am
There is absolutely nothing in place to prevent it or even to deter it one bit.
The same can be said about MOST laws.

The LAW is in place to prevent and deter it. That's what laws do. They deter you from breaking the law.
Give him a break.

He's a jeanieyus.

"Ha! The law doesn't prevent someone from doing something! Therefore, we should pass more laws!"
No we just need to develop a registration system similar to what we have with automobiles where we can actually track ownership and ensure that the people who are supposed to own a gun actually own it.

Maybe we can develop a similar taxing system like with motor vehicle taxes and use the revenue to pay for city, county and state police officers as well as area hospitals? But yeah, yeah, gun owners think the gummit is gonna come get their guns. Cant give em a list of who has what guns!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

We already have that. You are legally required to register your guns. Not everyone does. Just like not everyone registers their vehicles. We already pay taxes for thowe services. My city wants to make public roads a utility like sewer service. Fuck that. We already pay taxes for that shit. We need more responsible fiscal management of our taxes not more taxes. Cripes.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Our government system is a broken , inefficient disaster. Giving them more money and more control is not the answer.
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 pm Our government system is a broken , inefficient disaster. Giving them more money and more control is not the answer.
Bullshit. I get so f*in tired of the government is a disaster crap.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Thats fine. You're entitled to your opinion.

I deal with government entities often. I have found them to be clumsily managed, inefficient, overly complicated and completely irresponsible in the expenditure of public funds.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 pm Our government system is a broken , inefficient disaster. Giving them more money and more control is not the answer.
Our government is like a giant train from the early days of the railroad. It's engine frequently barfs out a toxic black smog cloud and it can always be improved to run better/cleaner/more efficient, but it gets the job done.

200 years from now we'll have a much better running train than we do now. But the train we have is running functionally. No matter what, there will always be room for improvement.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:20 pm We need more responsible fiscal management of our taxes not more taxes. Cripes.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Be specific not spouting nonsense.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Heres a quick example. Last year in my town on average it cost nearly $2,300 per pothole repair. They now want to make public roads a utulity to offset the costs of maintenance. My tax money is already earmarked for road repairs....wheres that money going? How much do you think it would cost a private company to fix a pothole? $200? (Spare me the speech about whats required for pothole repairs and mobilization fees etc. Im well aware). This is one small example of thousands of government fiscal irresponsibility. More taxes and more govt control are not the answer.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Guess i wasnt specific enough. Or maybe too specific. Cant tell anymore
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

What would it cost for a private company to do the repair? Well, the first year it would cost $200, then the next year it would be$1000 and by year 3 would be $2000 and the govt would have sold its equipment and no longer be able to make the repair and the cost would jump to $5,000 a pothole by year 4.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

isn’t dominos doing pot hole repairs for free?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

seahawk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 pm What would it cost for a private company to do the repair? Well, the first year it would cost $200, then the next year it would be$1000 and by year 3 would be $2000 and the govt would have sold its equipment and no longer be able to make the repair and the cost would jump to $5,000 a pothole by year 4.
Where are you getting those numbers?
I used actuals not some weird unchecked profit mark up calculation. I guess that could be possible if you only have 1 private company contracted to do the work for eternity on a guaranteed contract- which is obscenely dumb and unrealistic.
Absolutely false if you keep it an open competitive market. Otherwise a mobile home shack would cost 10 million to build by now.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:47 am
seahawk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 pm What would it cost for a private company to do the repair? Well, the first year it would cost $200, then the next year it would be$1000 and by year 3 would be $2000 and the govt would have sold its equipment and no longer be able to make the repair and the cost would jump to $5,000 a pothole by year 4.
Where are you getting those numbers?
I used actuals not some weird unchecked profit mark up calculation. I guess that could be possible if you only have 1 private company contracted to do the work for eternity on a guaranteed contract- which is obscenely dumb and unrealistic.
Absolutely false if you keep it an open competitive market. Otherwise a mobile home shack would cost 10 million to build by now.
Don't private companies handle the filling of those potholes? In which case the problem would be, what, needing to look at more bids? Or are you suggesting flat out corruption?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

On city and county roads the government is responsible for plowing and repairs. At least in Oregon. Npt private companies.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Meaning city/county equipment and city/county employees.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And no i don't think its corruption. I think there are miles of beauracratic tape to cross to get anything done and there is no incentive to be cost effective or efficient, or inventive. Its all govt money - who cares how its spent?
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:04 pm Meaning city/county equipment and city/county employees.
Huh. Seems like a bad idea