Deleted User 75

ACA meltdown thread

Post by Deleted User 75 »

For feral.

Enjoy!
Deleted User 75

Re: ACA meltdown thread

Just completed my open enrollment stuff at work today. Health insurance for me, wife, and 2 kids is costing me around $800 per month. And that's with some decent employer sponsored benefits to knock some cost down.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

I pay $300 for a +1 with the so called golden USG coverage. Is $800 crazy for a family (I honestly don't know). If not why do you say your employer offers decent benefits if this isn't the case?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yes $800 seems pretty crazy. I will check tomorrow what I pay for my family coverage. It is nowhere near that.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Before ACA, we had two policies purchased on the private market. One for me (high-risk pool, pre-existing condition coverage!), and one for Creamcheese and the kids. We paid about $400/month for each.

Creamcheese went back to work a couple of years ago because we were no longer willing to spend $2400/month (with $5000/family deductible) for the ACA plan offered by the SOLE provider still willing to participate in the state's private market.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 75

RussianHawk wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:26 pm I pay $300 for a +1 with the so called golden USG coverage. Is $800 crazy for a family (I honestly don't know). If not why do you say your employer offers decent benefits if this isn't the case?
They basically offer a benefit where they reimburse me for any medical costs once I go over $1,500 per year. That's pretty sweet, especially when I had a kid in the last 2 years...even with good insurance I think the out of pocket bills were 3k or 4k, so at least I got reimbursed a good portion of that.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Let's not pretend that somehow the ACA has made health care worse. My employer provided health care has a $6,000 deductible per year. I've had two surgeries. One last year. Another this year. And that doesn't count other hospital visits. I'm considered rich, and I'm broke. Lord knows what would happen if I could be denied coverage due to "pre existing" conditions.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

$488 per month (not biweekly) for family medical plan. We have the world-wide coverage (an option we chose). Out-of-pocket cap is $5k/person or $10k for the family per year.

This has been a good exercise. I would have had no idea except I just looked up the info. Dental and Vision are essentially free. I know we each get a free pair of glasses per year with all the goodies included.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Leawood wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 pm Let's not pretend that somehow the ACA has made health care worse.
But it did, inarguably, make private health insurance considerably more expensive.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 pm
RussianHawk wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:26 pm I pay $300 for a +1 with the so called golden USG coverage. Is $800 crazy for a family (I honestly don't know). If not why do you say your employer offers decent benefits if this isn't the case?
They basically offer a benefit where they reimburse me for any medical costs once I go over $1,500 per year. That's pretty sweet, especially when I had a kid in the last 2 years...even with good insurance I think the out of pocket bills were 3k or 4k, so at least I got reimbursed a good portion of that.
I guess I don't get why you are "melting down" over your benefits (maybe the title is some sort of joke I missed). Your plan with your employer cap pans out to about $2,275/person. Your plan is cheaper than most posted on here including mine.
Deleted User 75

RussianHawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:19 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 pm
I guess I don't get why you are "melting down" over your benefits (maybe the title is some sort of joke I missed). Your plan with your employer cap pans out to about $2,275/person. Your plan is cheaper than most posted on here including mine.
Yes. The title was a joke because feral was talking about ACA in the immigration thread. Figured I'd make a thread for her since she makes a thread for every idiotic trump tweet (which is literally all of his tweets because he rarely says things that aren't idiotic).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

My insurance is free. Insurance for my wife and kid is an insane 1200 a month. Makes my good paying job almost impossible to live on.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I pay $152.50 biweekly and my employer pays $594.50. I also kick another $50 biweekly into an HSA that we use to cover out of pocket stuff.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 am I pay $152.50 biweekly and my employer pays $594.50. I also kick another $50 biweekly into an HSA that we use to cover out of pocket stuff.
HSA plans are different (cheaper) than PPO plans. I have the option. The HSA is about $250 cheaper a month for my family of 4, but doesn't have some of the added protection the other plan has for me. It would be cheaper for me to do HSA per pay period, but with 2 young kids it's too expensive to pay more every time they get sick or have a round of vaccinations coming up....that and the risk of an unplanned pregnancy keep me on the PPO plan. At least for the next few years. Then maybe I'll reassess.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 am I pay $152.50 biweekly and my employer pays $594.50. I also kick another $50 biweekly into an HSA that we use to cover out of pocket stuff.
HSA plans are different (cheaper) than PPO plans. I have the option. The HSA is about $250 cheaper a month for my family of 4, but doesn't have some of the added protection the other plan has for me. It would be cheaper for me to do HSA per pay period, but with 2 young kids it's too expensive to pay more every time they get sick or have a round of vaccinations coming up....that and the risk of an unplanned pregnancy keep me on the PPO plan. At least for the next few years. Then maybe I'll reassess.
Jesus. READ. My regular insurance is just a standard PPO. Then we also have an HSA available to us. It is not our primary insurance.
Deleted User 75

I'm reading your post and not seeing you mention PPO anywhere....

Odd. Guess I should have just known!
Deleted User 75

Probably not worth getting all worked up about coach.

Some employers have a few choices. I was simply pointing out that for my option of a plan that is linked to a HSA it is cheaper per pay period for me. Employer even throws $250/year into the HSA as an added benefit.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

It's time for the healthcare distribution system in the USA to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century. The rest of the civilized world has figured this out. We're still on the top of the list of "industrialized nations" in deaths by gun violence and bankruptcies due to healthcare. We're also the only free-market nation where institutions are explicitly prohibited from employing free-market principles in healthcare (e.g. negotiating drug prices).
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I don’t get bent out of shape with Presidents or politics. No one in office has ever directly impacted my life one way or another. Until OC/ACA. My sister was living out her dream as a small business owner. Boutique shop with 2 additional employees. Went from 800 dollar insurance to almost 3000. First had to let go of employees. She was thouroughly hurt and embarrassed from doing so. Then had to pack up shop and lose her American dream. Entire life and life path was ended due to something completely out of her control. While I support the idea of helping all, and insurance for all, you cant ruin others lives to achieve it. It sucks to even think about it.
I am, I said.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Pretty sure insurance and health care rates were skyrocketing prior to obamacare and will coninue to do so after obamacare's demise.