chiknbut

Re: R.I.P. H.W.

Post by chiknbut »

Some people just can't help themselves.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1 ... 6772921344
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Okay, enough already. This was not FDR or Dwight Eisenhower, this was not a man as honorable as Gerald Ford. The news media is so excited because he was a "patrician" and they love hanging out with the wealthy, especially old wealth, and fawning over them.

Listening to hours and hours of the media fawning over GHWB while driving for 12 hours over the weekend, the endless talk about how honorable to have been in public service when he was rich and didn't have to was just sickening. I went to a meeting where there were maybe 25 lawyers, some who'd become judges, all but about 2 not from familial wealth, who spent careers in public service. They all would have made a lot more money in the private sector, and they served the public as honorably as Bush, but the media treats ordinary folks like they've ripped off the public because they aren't rich. Or they're somehow not quite as special because they actually live off their salaries.
Don't inject Lysol.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

seahawk wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 am Okay, enough already. This was not FDR or Dwight Eisenhower, this was not a man as honorable as Gerald Ford. The news media is so excited because he was a "patrician" and they love hanging out with the wealthy, especially old wealth, and fawning over them.

Listening to hours and hours of the media fawning over GHWB while driving for 12 hours over the weekend, the endless talk about how honorable to have been in public service when he was rich and didn't have to was just sickening. I went to a meeting where there were maybe 25 lawyers, some who'd become judges, all but about 2 not from familial wealth, who spent careers in public service. They all would have made a lot more money in the private sector, and they served the public as honorably as Bush, but the media treats ordinary folks like they've ripped off the public because they aren't rich. Or they're somehow not quite as special because they actually live off their salaries.
I agree to an extent. But this was a representative of an incredibly select group. HW always seemed like a decent guy - especially given the buffoon currently occupying the WH. Certainly not without his flaws.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Watching the train to College Station. Texans do love the Bush family.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

A former president died. Does not happen all that often. Yes we make a big deal out of it. So we should.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 pm Yes we make a big deal out of it. So we should.
meh

A republic.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

who knew DC was so unpatriotic?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I think you mean "perfectly patriotic." My allegiance is to the republic and its institutions, not the people who populate them.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 pm A former president died. Does not happen all that often. Yes we make a big deal out of it. So we should.
CNN has had almost as much coverage as when Anthony Bourdain died.

Almost.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:28 am Some people just can't help themselves.

Ever notice Obama always has his nose up in the air? Why is that? Bugs me.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:26 am
seahawk wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 am Okay, enough already. This was not FDR or Dwight Eisenhower, this was not a man as honorable as Gerald Ford. The news media is so excited because he was a "patrician" and they love hanging out with the wealthy, especially old wealth, and fawning over them.

I agree to an extent. But this was a representative of an incredibly select group. HW always seemed like a decent guy - especially given the buffoon currently occupying the WH. Certainly not without his flaws.
As I said, I was aggravated with the media--the seemingly endless discussions of how GHWB set this example of noblesse oblige. Was surprised that my tenant, Republican, wife of career military guy, said the same thing. If I hadn't been driving and trying to find something to listen to or seen all those judges, I might not have paid attention. It will be interesting to see if the media does the same thing when Jimmy Carter shuffles off.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

dolomite wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:34 pm
chiknbut wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:28 am Some people just can't help themselves.

Ever notice Obama always has his nose up in the air? Why is that? Bugs me.
He is trying to avoid the stench of Trump.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I saw a meme of that picture with Mueller next to Trump.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Sea, Jimmy Carter is going to rest following a simple Baptist service at his lifelong church. I would expect all Presidents will be there.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

how much you wanna bet that drumpf doesn’t pay his respects at all, to any former prez, once he no longer holds the office?