Government Shut-Down Thread

Ugh.
Geezer

Re: Government Shut-Down Thread

Post by Geezer »

Don't forget tax cuts for the rich.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:11 pm 2 SCOTUS appointments?
Whoever was President was going to get those.
Actually one of those was illegitimate......stolen by McConnell. One could argue that they were both illegitimate because they were both confirmed only after McConnell rigged the game, by changing the rules.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

zsn wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:26 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:11 pm 2 SCOTUS appointments?
Whoever was President was going to get those.
Actually one of those was illegitimate......stolen by McConnell. One could argue that they were both illegitimate because they were both confirmed only after McConnell rigged the game, by changing the rules.
Poor Trump, he only gets partial credit for 2 accomplishments.

Oh, and the joy of providing tax windfalls for al.l............. crap, this is hard.
Deleted User 62

Wait, is fluffing for Putin technically an accomplishment?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Geezer wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:20 pm Don't forget tax cuts for the rich.
I'm not rich and I got a tax cut! And I'm NOT complaining!
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I'm sure President Flaccid has experience fluffing given his mentor was Roy Cohn.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Leawood wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 pm I'm sure President Flaccid has experience fluffing given his mentor was Roy Cohn.
Now, now...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

dolomite wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:52 pm
Have you? Really?
You already filed?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Does getting laughed at while speaking at the UN count as one of those first in history tremendous accomplishments?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 482e44450a

It's bad that I can't even figure whether to put this in the "Shut Down" thread or the "Illegals want to get in" thread.
"They had spent years on the staff of Donald Trump’s golf club, winning employee-of-the-month awards and receiving glowing letters of recommendation.

Some were trusted enough to hold the keys to Eric Trump’s weekend home. They were experienced enough to know that, when Donald Trump ordered chicken wings, they were to serve him two orders on one plate.

But on Jan. 18, about a dozen employees at Trump National Golf Club in Westchester County, N.Y., were summoned, one by one, to talk with a human resources executive from Trump headquarters.

During the meetings, they were fired because they are undocumented immigrants, according to interviews with the workers and their attorney. The fired workers are from Latin America.

The sudden firings — which were previously unreported — follow last year’s revelations of undocumented labor at a Trump club in New Jersey, where employees were subsequently dismissed. The firings show Trump’s business was relying on undocumented workers even as the president demanded a border wall to keep out such immigrants."

Half their winter time staff was fired due to being illegal immigrants. Any Trumpaloes still wanna crow about how Trump really gives a shit about the flow of illegal immigrants into the country? Maybe you can fluff up his support of the American worker while he gets all his stuff made overseas while you're at it.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

And I got the largest raise I've gotten in 7 years because the owner/my company got a tax break.

#bossmove
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I just started working on my tax return prep today and I think we’re getting hosed and we’re not rich (I started because my wife and I got our W-2 yesterday and I picked up TurboTax at Costco). We’re losing about $20k worth of deductions for State income and property taxes and the measly 2-3% reduction marginal rates is going to do squat. We’re not one of those who caught the standard deduction windfall. We’re still itemizing. It’s still early (don’t have all our 1099s) and I hope I’m wrong, but I am not holding my breath.
Deleted User 62

zsn wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:41 am I just started working on my tax return prep today and I think we’re getting hosed and we’re not rich (I started because my wife and I got our W-2 yesterday and I picked up TurboTax at Costco). We’re losing about $20k worth of deductions for State income and property taxes and the measly 2-3% reduction marginal rates is going to do squat. We’re not one of those who caught the standard deduction windfall. We’re still itemizing. It’s still early (don’t have all our 1099s) and I hope I’m wrong, but I am not holding my breath.
Yeah, same with us.
The deduction deception got us.
We overpaid, on top of zero exemptions, all year, and still owe more than we did last year.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

My tax filings used to be simple. Now they are complicated. I have an accountant do and file my taxes.
Got a letter from the IRS stating I was owed a large refund for 2017. Fantastic! Meanwhile, in the letter it stated that a small portion of my refund was going to back taxes owed (gambling income I never filed) for 2016 and 2017. Ok, fine. Fair enough. Well, then the letter said my refund was $0.00. WTF? I called the IRS and was told the balance owed would be applied to my 2018 taxes. I asked how come I wasn't getting an actual refund check and said I found it disturbing that the IRS did this without consulting with me and/or my accountant. Anyways, I am a 1%er. No, not that 1%. The 1% who actually doesn't really care if I get a "tax cut" or not. I say that because my life is not going to be affected one way or the other if I have that extra "tax cut" money or not. I may use the money to help the economy but personally I prefer my tax dollars go to help fund education, social security/medicare, science and medical research, etc.

Back to the shut down. If clown face decides he's going to shut down the government in 3 weeks I think he's as good as done and is never going to get re-elected. That's assuming he runs in 2020. The shut down affects a whole lot more than the 800,000 government workers who are directly affected. Two words. Fuck him.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

zsn wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:41 am I just started working on my tax return prep today and I think we’re getting hosed and we’re not rich (I started because my wife and I got our W-2 yesterday and I picked up TurboTax at Costco). We’re losing about $20k worth of deductions for State income and property taxes and the measly 2-3% reduction marginal rates is going to do squat. We’re not one of those who caught the standard deduction windfall. We’re still itemizing. It’s still early (don’t have all our 1099s) and I hope I’m wrong, but I am not holding my breath.
We have already been notified by our tax accountant that we will most likely owe thousands more this year and need to adjust our quarterly payments for next by an additional $750 per quarter.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

You were supposed to get screwed.

California, New York, Connecticut...

That's how it was designed.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Daily tit-for-tats and pettiness from all politicians, just what the country needs. How embarrassing, Sounding more and more like U.K parliament.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Well...at least she didn't blame McConnell for holding up the House Intel. Committee like some of the Left's most revered constitutional "scholars"....

RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:20 pm
And I got the largest raise I've gotten in 7 years because the owner/my company got a tax break.

#bossmove
Huh that's interesting. I didn't get a raise from my boss because of the tax break.