Government Shut-Down Thread

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Government Shut-Down Thread

Post by Shirley »

Warning! The following post is likely to mention politicians, and/or politics.
#sosueme

So...Much...Winning!

Top Republicans struggle to persuade Trump not to shut down the government

Congressional Republicans struggled Monday to find a way to persuade President Trump to back off a public threat to shut down the government over border wall money, staying largely in the dark over the impasse that could halt pay for hundreds of thousands of federal workers by the end of the week.

At the White House, Trump has remained disinclined to support even stopgap measures that would keep federal government operations running for a week or two, told by his closest advisers that he would have even less leverage when Democrats take control of the House next month. Trump is also bolstered by support of rank-and-file Border Patrol agents, whose union leader told the president in a recent Oval Office conversation that they would back a wall-induced shutdown if the dispute came to that point.

All that has left Republican lawmakers eager to avoid a shutdown unsure whether Trump would ultimately come around to at least one option that would end the impasse before Friday. Without a resolution that the president could sign before midnight Friday, roughly 800,000 federal workers will be furloughed or forced to work without pay in a partial shutdown that Trump has already — and proudly — claimed as his own.

“How are we going to get out of it? Well, I think that should factor into people’s calculations,” said Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Tex.), who has been publicly critical of Trump’s decision to embrace shutdown tactics. “Because it’s not going to get any better in January.”

Following a meeting of Senate Republican leaders Monday evening, Cornyn said that “if there is” a plan to avoid a shutdown, “I’m not aware of it.”

Trump has told people around him that he is frustrated that he does not have much leverage in the fight, and two presidential advisers said a shutdown was unlikely because there was no way the president could win. The White House plan is to not shut down the government, both of these people said...[/i]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Geezer

Re: Government Shut-Down Thread

Post by Geezer »

SHUT IT DOWN!
SHUT IT DOWN!
SHUT IT DOWN!

Happy Holidays.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:11 pm SHUT IT DOWN!
SHUT IT DOWN!
SHUT IT DOWN!

Happy Holidays.
And don't reopen it.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

That’s one way to keep Trumpistas from going in the pokie
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

From a practical standpoint, the government has been in a shutdown since donald trump was elected.

What will change.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The best negotiator eva!

“I will take the mantle,” Mr. Trump went on. “I will be the one to shut it down — I’m not going to blame you for it.”

lulz, I don't think anyone could have predicted this:

White House softens position on border wall funding days before shutdown deadline
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Isn't that a good thing?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

No.

SHUT IT DOWN!
SHUT IT DOWN!
SHUT IT DOWN!

Happy Holidays.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Typical Trump.
It's the result on all of his deals as President.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The man campaigned on two things:
1. Repeal and replace the ACA
2. Build a wall

Those two things got him elected. Those of us that are adults and have been around the block, knew back in 2016 that neither of those two things were going to happen. So no shock or surprise or disappointment from me in 2018.

He did what they all do. Promised a bunch of $#!t to get elected, with no intention on following through. Wow. That don't make him unique. That makes him normal.
Deleted User 62

I was thinking more of:
1. Bang your chest
2. Brag
3. Draw lines in the sand
4. Tell everyone how you won't back down
5. Back down
6. Blame

A constant pattern
Deleted User 75

But isn't backing down the right thing to do in this instance?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We elected donald trump. Why would we be surprised when we get donald trump.
Deleted User 62

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:09 pm But isn't backing down the right thing to do in this instance?
After a few times, everyone that you try to negotiate with will assume you will back down.

The key is to never make a deal "take it or leave it" too early.

Sun Tzu knew it. Why doesn't Cheeto Mussolini?
Deleted User 75

So......yes? Backing down is the right thing to do in this instance?

This is very interesting to witness....the last week or so there's been hysteria on the left that he was going to shut the government down...now the left is criticizing him for backing off a bit....

You see why sometimes it's hard for many in the middle to take you guys seriously?
Deleted User 62

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:33 pm So......yes? Backing down is the right thing to do in this instance?

This is very interesting to witness....the last week or so there's been hysteria on the left that he was going to shut the government down...now the left is criticizing him for backing off a bit....

You see why sometimes it's hard for many in the middle to take you guys seriously?
I am not as left as you and others seem to think.

I am saying that Trump, from his performance as "the greatest deal maker, ever" indicates that he isn't at all good as a deal maker.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

Has the Senate came to an agreement yet? Most of Gov is already fundeded I thought. Isn't this just basically ag, interior, DHS? This shit happens so often I don't pay much attention anymore
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:33 pm So......yes? Backing down is the right thing to do in this instance?

I don't know where you get your "news", but that is a monumentally ignorant statement.

Anyone with a scintilla of political insight knows that the vast majority of congressional republicans have been trying to do anything they can to get Trump to back off his threat to shut down the government unless he gets his wall funded, while politically, democrats are more than happy to let Trump make what would almost certainly amount to a huge, huge, mistake.
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 75

Feral wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:40 pm

I don't know where you get your "news", but that is a monumentally ignorant statement.

Anyone with a scintilla of political insight knows that the vast majority of congressional republicans have been trying to do anything they can to get Trump to back off his threat to shut down the government unless he gets his wall funded,.....

while politically, democrats are more than happy to let Trump make what would almost certainly amount to a huge, huge, mistake.
....Yes, they've (democrats) been more than happy, AND completely hysterical.

Watch CNN? Hysteria.
Deleted User 62

What I saw was a man child trying to strong arm a political system designed to prevent tyrants.

He is used to getting his way.

He says shit, on a regular basis, that is ignorant.