Green New Deal

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: Green New Deal

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:51 pm I’ll reiterate my suggestion for economic policy:

1. An income tax rate based on an exponential curve. Everybody pays some, and the more you make, the more you pay. No loopholes and crap.

2. National sales tax. So we’re taxed not only based on income, but also on consumption. Rates could be lower for things like bread and milk, and higher for things like vacation homes and yachts.
way too reasonable
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:25 pm No, just a tool in general.

So, I don't know that there are a significant amount of people in this country suffering because they can't earn a living wage?

That their children will likely suffer the same miserable existence?

That they are economically distressed and have no means of making their situations better?
No. You don't know that. You just think you do.

The majority of minimum wage workers are under 25. The largest age category of minimum wage earners is 16-19 year-olds. There are just 500,000 people in the country earning minimum wage, and the overwhelming majority are second or third earners in a household. A far greater number -- about 1.3 million people -- make LESS than minimum wage, but also earn gratuities. The largest share of minimum or below wage earners are in food service -- meaning that the largest group is comprised principally of servers -- which is to say people who make a larger percentage of their income on tips.

These are FACTS.

To answer AOC's question. Why does a croissant cost 7 bucks at the airport? Because that's what the market will bear. And the market will bear that, in large part because of restrictions on items that may be brought through security check points. These food service companies have a captive market. It also doesn't help that the minimum wage at New York's two airports is $19/hr.

AOC -- like Trump and like a great many on this board -- thinks that her personal experiences translate directly into broader reality and thus into legislative solutions. But that's not how things work. To repeat myself, the plural of anecdote is NOT data. What you experience, what ousdahl experiences, what I experience -- all these things are legitimate case studies, but none constitutes the broader conditions in society in and of themselves.

I've already told you that I'm getting screwed over good and hard by a foreign government. I have also noted -- on previous boards -- that once upon a time I earned a good portion of my income in stock bonuses. I worked for a company for a good long time, earning good equity stakes. And then, one day, long after I left the company, the company went bankrupt and triggered a financial collapse. And all the stock that I hard earned, but couldn't sell because I was not yet "vested" -- that's to say, all the "money" that had been saved for kids' college education, retirement, etc. -- went to ZERO overnight.

I was pissed. I'm STILL pissed -- largely because I know now what they were doing that caused the bankruptcy.

But I don't expect the federal government to fight back against the foreign government currently killing me, and I don't expect it to pass laws to ensure that my equity stake in an employer can't go to zero.

That would be stoopid. My experiences are NOT representative of everyone's experiences. And to base policy on my shitty luck would be destructive.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:25 pm No, just a tool in general.

So, I don't know that there are a significant amount of people in this country suffering because they can't earn a living wage?

That their children will likely suffer the same miserable existence?

That they are economically distressed and have no means of making their situations better?
No. You don't know that. You just think you do.

The majority of minimum wage workers are under 25. The largest age category of minimum wage earners is 16-19 year-olds. There are just 500,000 people in the country earning minimum wage, and the overwhelming majority are second or third earners in a household. A far greater number -- about 1.3 million people -- make LESS than minimum wage, but also earn gratuities. The largest share of minimum or below wage earners are in food service -- meaning that the largest group is comprised principally of servers -- which is to say people who make a larger percentage of their income on tips.

These are FACTS.

To answer AOC's question. Why does a croissant cost 7 bucks at the airport? Because that's what the market will bear. And the market will bear that, in large part because of restrictions on items that may be brought through security check points. These food service companies have a captive market. It also doesn't help that the minimum wage at New York's two airport's is $19/hr.

AOC -- like Trump and like a great many on this board -- thinks that her personal experiences translate directly into broader reality and thus into legislative solutions. But that's not how things work. To repeat myself, the plural of anecdote is NOT data. What you experience, what ousdahl experiences, what I experience -- all these things are legitimate case studies, but none constitutes the broader conditions in society in and of themselves.

I've already told you that I'm getting screwed over good and hard by a foreign government. I have also noted -- on previous boards -- that once upon a time I earned a good portion of my income in stock bonuses. I worked for a company for a good long time, earning good equity stakes. And then, one day, long after I left the company, the company went bankrupt and triggered a financial collapse. And all the stock that I hard earned, but couldn't sell because I was not yet "vested" -- that's to say, all the "money" that had been saved for kids' college education, retirement, etc. -- went to ZERO overnight.

I was pissed. I'm STILL pissed -- largely because I know now what they were doing that caused the bankruptcy.

But I don't expect the federal government to fight back against the foreign government currently killing me, and I don't expect it to pass laws to ensure that my equity stake in an employer can't go to zero.

That would be stoopid. My experiences are NOT representative of everyone's experiences. And to base policy on my shitty luck would be destructive.
Sorry to hear of your shitty experience.

I lost everything in '08, so I know where you are coming from.
Deleted User 89

DCHawk1 wrote: Cuz party of science.

Or something.
better than being party of science-denial

jussayin’
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:32 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Cuz party of science.

Or something.
better than being party of science-denial

jussayin’
Ye gads Trad, you never give up do ya!
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:21 pm
Sorry to hear of your shitty experience.

I lost everything in '08, so I know where you are coming from.
I appreciate that. And I think we have talked about this before. And I'm sorry you lost what you did. It sucked...and sucks.

I'm also sorry I said that you don't know anybody in the position of struggling to raise a family on minimum wage. I don't doubt that you do. It's just that that population is relatively small. Given where you live, I'd guess there may be policy failures other than the minimum wage at work, or exacerbating things.

I think that's probably the case in many instances, but "minimum wage" is the easy solution.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Thanks DC.

Like PhD stated earlier, I also try to do business with people that compensate their employees fairly.

There can be a fine line between being profitable and exploiting.

I do business with a LOT of very wealthy people. You can definitely tell the ones who treat the people that they rely on fairly.
Deleted User 89

costco
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:14 pmcostco
^^^

Lowes >>> Home Depot, or, at least it used to be.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... rt-833035/

maybe some of these subsidies could be better spent elsewhere
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUbandalum and republicans are right, clean air and water are overrated!

https://twitter.com/keith_pochick/statu ... 3526757381
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

setting records for clean water...once it’s diluted
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

"Folks in a West Virginia woke up".
I live in an Illinois and woke up today.
Not so funny thing is Coal Grove isn't in West Virginia. It's in Ohio.
God bless anything associated with Fox that's called news.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:14 pm https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/business ... index.html

Shes an idiot.
Agreed. Bernie's run gave this sect of the Democratic party a voice. There's a good reason the party tried to get rid of him.

Thoughts on Biden's quoted comment in there?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think the theory behind bidens statement is reasonable. It seems too often all politicians speak to give soundbites but without the appropriate information to make their statements impactful.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait wait wait, but if we expect corporations to pay the same tax rate as fire fighters then how are they ever gonna create jobs again?! You guys really wanna rely on market demand to create the jobs or something?
Deleted User 89

i will say, amazon is much better than most

if she wanted to take aim at a major commercial employer, why didn’t she go after walmart?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

And it was only last year that Amazon went to 15 dollars.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

15/hour is still only low $30k range annually, which although better than some retail jobs, isn’t exactly a comfortable living.

Anyone wanna take a stab at what the CEO to worker pay ratio is for Amazon?