Re: Green New Deal

Post by Leawood »

You obviously don’t.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do you?

Leawood beat me to it.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

So which of you think it's acceptable for people unwilling to work to just be given money by the government?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

If we're going to get picky, the GND and its associated benefits are egoism -- which is to say the "ism" Marx himself feared most. It's Max Stirner's vision of the post-Enlightenment world.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:45 pm So which of you think it's acceptable for people unwilling to work to just be given money by the government?
You do understand that the Green New Deal is a non-binding agreement? Which means its basically just an outline of ideas and wishes? It's about as meaningful as the nuclear deal Trump signed with North Korea. Who gives a shit whats in it. It doesnt MEAN anything.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:48 pm If we're going to get picky, the GND and its associated benefits are egoism -- which is to say the "ism" Marx himself feared most. It's Max Stirner's vision of the post-Enlightenment world.
I doubt that more than 2 other people on this site have any clue what you are talking about without googling it. And I am obviously not one of them.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:54 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:48 pm If we're going to get picky, the GND and its associated benefits are egoism -- which is to say the "ism" Marx himself feared most. It's Max Stirner's vision of the post-Enlightenment world.
I doubt that more than 2 other people on this site have any clue what you are talking about without googling it. And I am obviously not one of them.
That's a feature, not a bug
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

It makes him feel smarter, humor him.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 pm It makes him feel smarter, humor him.
Only at your expense.

Get it?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

No, I'm old and stupid.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

MjI is right. It's a feature, not a bug. If we're going to get picky and argue that Illy's a dumdum for not understanding that GND is not Communism, then it might be helpful to explain what it actually is. But no one wants to do that because it's complicated and arcane and kinda difficult. It's much easier to call Illy a dumdum and move on.

Personally, I think Geezer's as big a dumdum for not knowing what it really is, even while mocking Illy.

I think it's fair to call it "left-wing statism." And likewise, "communism" is, more or less, a synonym for that.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:54 pm

MjI is right. It's a feature, not a bug. If we're going to get picky and argue that Illy's a dumdum for not understanding that GND is not Communism, then it might be helpful to explain what it actually is. But no one wants to do that because it's complicated and arcane and kinda difficult. It's much easier to call Illy a dumdum and move on.

Personally, I think Geezer's as big a dumdum for not knowing what it really is, even while mocking Illy.

I think it's fair to call it "left-wing statism." And likewise, "communism" is, more or less, a vernacular synonym for that.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Oh please, that's even more than your normal level of horseshit.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

dUMDuM
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:11 pm Do you know what communism is?

(Your rant about the environment has nothing to do with anything I quoted or "laughed at".
So did we magically turn into a Communist country after the first and second New Deal in the 1930s?
Deleted User 75

You tell me how the government can provide a guaranteed job to every citizen without having government take control of a large % of private business? I'll wait.

You tell me how the government can provide a livable level of income for those "UNWILLING" to work without taking control of a large % of private business? I'll wait.

Where does this money all come from? I'll wait.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

why are you stuck on those points alone?

as has been said, there are good and reasonable parts of it, and there are some parts that have no chance in hell

it isn't an all or nothing game
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Perhaps but most people are going to shut down at the complete inaneness of the parts that have no chance in hell. Wouldnt it be more productive to outline a more realistic plan? That is, of course, assuming we really want change and this isnt just a platform to use to fire up the extreme base?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 75

It's like trump talking about a wall spanning the entire southern border. That was never going to happen and doesn't make any sense.....but now everyone just shuts the entire discussion down completely ignoring that barriers in many areas make sense (and already exist).

That's politics in 2019.

So when AOC puts all that insane garbage in the GND that's what I'm going to criticize. She chose to put it in there, so that's on her.

I'm all for saving the environment regardless of economic impact to large extent. So there are ideas in the GND that I could get behind for sure, granted she's batshit crazy and does the EXACT same tactics Trump does by trying to ignite fear saying things like "the world will end in 12 years" LOL.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea everyone thinks they have to be revolutionary and extreme in order to generate discussion in the tweeting society we have. So they focus on extremes to get people fired up as opposed to working towards realistic things that we can actually accomplish to start the process of change. Its disappointing.
Just Ledoux it